Chigger Bites

What symptoms did you have from chigger bites? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: GAGirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Chiggers (or red bugs here in Georgia) are tiny almost transparent red bugs. You most often see them here on large rocks. Sometimes on driveways or cement buildings that exist in rocky areas. You can brush them off before they bite, or kill them with rubbing alcohol if they burrow into the skin. Itchy small red bites result. Large welts or blisters are atypical and a sign of an allergic reaction. Chiggers will also get your dogs, cats and livestock, so they need protection too if you have them on you.

Comment from: Tigerz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

If you've ever been bitten by chiggers, you know you never get just one. The actual bite mark is small and red. The itch is monstrous and miserable and lasts for days. Take hot shower and lather bites thick with Irish Spring soap. Let soap dry on the bites. Repeat as necessary. That's the only relief we've found.

Comment from: nancydrewish, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I get chigger bites always near my ankles 1 or 2 times a summer when I forget to wear long pants (which I usually spray with bug spray). It is almost always a day or two after walking in grass (has happened walking across my lawn, or walking in grass crossing to get to a lake walking path). I get 2 to 3 deep red marks, different from mosquito bites which actually get larger. Both itch badly for a few days, but the chigger bites are more difficult to relieve and lasts for week(s). Benadryl spray with 2 percent prescription cortisone helps.

Comment from: Fancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

My symptoms of chigger bites are blisters, raised red bumps, and intense itch, sometimes 24 to 48 hours after being exposed. If I think I may have been exposed to them, I scrub in the shower using an exfoliator or rough washcloth. I rarely get more than 3 at a time since I have been doing that.

Comment from: K. Summerlin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I love the outdoors and spend a lot of time gardening and walking in the woods. Yesterday, I began itching and after taking a shower noticed what looked like insect bites on my upper legs, groin area, back, arms and abdomen. I don't recall being bitten or stung prior to the onset of severe itching and discovering large red raised welts during and following the shower which made the rash and itching worse. While unsure, I believe I may have gotten chigger bites in a wooded area a few days ago. I have an unnumbered amount of swollen, half-dollar sized welts with a red center covering my upper legs, groin, trunk and arms causing severe itching and discomfort.

Comment from: charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

It was a hot Texas day. A trooper pulled me over. We were standing on grass about 6 inches high. I sprayed ‘Off’ on my pant legs before I got out. He declined my offer. A few days later I happened upon him in a cafe. He had about 20 chigger bites and was miserable! I had to laugh. Out of mercy I told him my cure. Put hydrocortisone on a Band-Aid on each bite. That way the medicine stays on all day with only one application! Now we are both retired and fishing buddies!

Comment from: Citygirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have about five of these chigger bites on each of my arms and legs. I went outside briefly to just turn the water on and now I'm infected. I thought they were mosquito bites but my brother in law said they were chiggers. I never saw or heard anything. I'm thinking I will be staying inside from now on till summer ends.

Comment from: mdrews, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

After doing some yard work on a beautiful summer evening, I began noticing a few bite marks the next day. Then they seemed to be popping up all over my arms, legs, ankles, behind my knees. By the following morning I counted over 50 chigger bites on my body. The itch was excruciating. I visited the Urgent Care Center and received a steroid injection, a steroid pill pack, a prescription anti-itch cream, and 5 days later the bites are much smaller (they were very red, raised, swollen, and the size of a nickel initially), but I'm still itching. These small bugs sure do pack a big bite!

Comment from: G., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I got four chigger bites after spending less than 5 minutes on a gravel driveway with a little bit of grass growing up in it. Three of the bites became infected, about 2 inches in diameter, very red with a darker red area and an almost black center. I was diagnosed with staph infection and put on two antibiotics. The doctor said if there was more swelling I would have to be hospitalized to have the antibiotics. Fortunately, one full day after starting the antibiotics there is a slight improvement so I think the hospital can be avoided.

SLIDESHOW

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: Ben, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I've got six chigger bites and the itching was so severe that I had to go to a doctor for relief. He prescribed a cream and an antihistamine. I'm in my 3rd day and it's getting better. But the antihistamine has caused me to have nausea. Good luck. Also might add, those little critters were in the bushes in the front of my house. I will be spraying that area soon.

Comment from: Memar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I'm not sure if chigger bites is what I have but what I have has been going on for years; I went to plenty of doctors. I have got on both the top of my arms this bite from inside my arms and it hurts. I scratch it and I also get a mark. I can't stand it anymore it is really driving me nuts. My doctor took blood and saw nothing. I just don't understand there is something in my body and I need to find out why this keeps on happening to me.

QUESTION

Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW