Chigger Bites

What treatment did you receive for chiggers? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mamajenn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am using hydrocortisone cream for the chigger itch but I put tea tree oil on the bites too. I started using antibiotic ointment on the welts today and they are getting better. The itch has decreased a lot.

Comment from: Fancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

Over time I have realized that the biggest risk with chiggers is infection so my treatment is anything that reduces the urge to scratch. Lidocaine lotions and topical Benadryl may help. Also put liquid skin over bites to protect the skin.

Comment from: Nina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was doing some gardening, and in about an hour I felt a little itch. I thought it was a mosquito bite. No, it was like a 50 chiggers went on a tearing frenzy on my ankles, back of legs, and arms; such intense itch and heat. I went screaming right to the primary care physician and she told me it was chiggers. She prescribed everything, creams and steroids, I came home with a picnic basket off goodies. My daughter is a nurse practitioner and she told me to go get some Noxzema, leave it on and it will help immediately, and sure enough it stopped the itch and heat immediately!

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

Having been in the US Marines for a number of years I thought I have been bitten by every critter on the planet at one time or another to include some of the nastier types. It seems every time I go to a friend’s farm for camping or during the 4th of July for fireworks, I will come home with a half dozen or so of these little bites. I have used the old finger nail polish for years for chigger bites. Despite the long pants and boots etc., and a spray of bug killer and even some Skin So Soft (great for mosquitos and sand fleas), this still happens at this one location more than anywhere else I camp or backpack. I have learned a lot from reading this, thanks and will try a new tactic.

Comment from: littleme, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I found that applying a greasy type of cream or ointment (Ingram's camphor cream or similar) reduces the itching immediately. I suspect that the mites find it impossible to move around in the greasy environment and cannot proceed with their mischief.

Comment from: Bet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Brush clear fingernail polish on each chigger bite. The itching stops immediately. Repeat as needed. My legs are covered with bites after working in the yard. I don't know why the polish helps but it does.

Comment from: digital_irishman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

Chiggers drive me nuts. You get a bite, you notice bite, then the unrelenting fun begins while you try your best to not scratch. The itch is so freaking intense. Hydrocortisone works well to manage itch and a little Neosporin helps the bite heal. Two weeks at least for it to return to normal. They love to find a fold in skin; behind knee, or upper inner thigh.

Comment from: Alfred, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had about 10 chigger bites recently. Cause might have been because I laid my clothes on the picnic table and then put them on. Bad idea! My father advised mixing salt and butter and applying that. I thought chigger was buried. I wonder if the puncture apparatus remains when chigger leaves.

Comment from: Bitten all over., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I have found for the intense itching from chiggers that Benadryl gel applied to the affected area stops the itching immediately. After suffering with the intense itching and infected wounds I asked a friend to go to the pharmacy store at the end of my street to pick up some needful. I asked for Benadryl liquid that you take in your mouth and swallow, but she thought I wanted Benadryl gel that you apply on the affected area. I didn't know it existed. I tried it and the intense itching went away immediately. I hope you find this information valuable because I sure did.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

We were on the north fork of Long Island, visiting friends for a night. I don't know if I was bitten by chiggers while looking for their dog that wandered away, or later while sitting outside at a vineyard. In either case, I walked on grass! My ankle started to itch and swell over a 3 hour period. The bite is very small, but the reddened area is about 5x2 inches now. It is super itchy. I put a hot washcloth on it, and gel from an aloe plant. The aloe helped better than a topical cortisone cream. I have not been diagnosed by a doctor, and will watch if it gets worse. I took a Zyrtec this morning which also seemed to help.

SLIDESHOW

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

We live in a woodsy area in the mid-south, so we have to really be careful, but sometimes the chiggers get us! We use Campho-Phenique, it is pricey at USD 3.95 for a little green bottle, but soak a cotton ball with it, and apply regularly. Resist the urge to scratch!

QUESTION

Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW