Chigger Bites

Please share your experience with chiggers. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I experienced chiggers for the first time a few days ago in our own yard. I was barefoot, so got all spots on feet and ankles. I thought they were mosquitos. Then I had the red spots with intense itching. I tried several creams. Itching continued so I looked up home remedies. I saw a paste using baking soda and water. I had a mix with soda and coconut oil already so I thought worth a try. Ta da! It worked and I was completely free of itch in 6 hours.

Comment from: Chughes, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I went fishing one night for 4 to 5 hours and got eaten alive by chiggers. At least my ankles did. I should've been more aware. But the fishing was good and I never dreamed it could be that bad. I had somewhere over 300 bites on each ankle. That’s where I’d lose count. I should be grateful they didn’t go higher up my leg. Well I am, very grateful! I was standing in grass 8 or 10 inches tall. I should've put a repellent on. But I had fished there for years without a problem. Now I won't walk in my yard without a repellent.

Comment from: Kristen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I live in Oklahoma, where chiggers are rampant. I went to my friend’s house for Memorial Day cookout wearing long pants, long socks, long boots, and long sleeved shirt. I didn't care how hot it was, I just wanted to avoid bug bites, but, alas, I sat in the grass to chat for about 30 minutes, and noticed a couple red itchy spots that night before bedtime. I had a few more during the night, and a whole lot more in the morning. I thought they were just normal bug bites, which I am very susceptible to, so applied hydrocortisone cream. Usually this helps a lot if I apply it before I start scratching at the bites, but in this case, the itching only seemed to be intensifying. By the next night, I was itching intensely and had 58 bites! Ice temporarily relieved the pain associated with the itching. Aloe vera covered in Vicks VapoRub soothed the itching for about an hour, calamine lotion didn't do much. Cold showers were temporarily wonderful. I know scientifically nail polish isn't supposed to help, but I finally broke down and painted my body pink (the only color I had on hand). Only had it on for a couple hours so far, but I experienced immediate relief (that is to say bearable itching rather than unbearable). I have no idea how long this will last, but hope it goes away soon, some of the redness surrounding my bites is 2 inches by 2 inches. The bites are on my upper legs, armpit area, arms, pregnant and distended belly (around waistline), breasts, groin area, and buttocks; all not great areas to be itching!

Comment from: Magbh, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am covered with chigger bites in my groin area. I think they come off my wee dog when he sits on my lap.

Comment from: Jacque, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I went to Kino Bay, Mexico for spring break, in March. We walked to the estuary there where the shoreline was muddy and sticky. The mud was almost black and I noticed lots of little black bugs jumping about. When I returned to the states, I didn't notice any red bumps or blisters but the areas around my ankles and tops of feet itched like mad! A few days later I had small, scabbed over spots which my husband said looked like chigger bites. I thought he was crazy and still thought they were mosquito bites from the RV park showers! That weekend my aunt said she had suffered from chiggers when she had been to an estuary. Now I'm sure that is what I had.

Comment from: summerfall, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I went fishing one day and about 2 hours after returning home the tops of my feet and the area around my ankles began to severely itch. I have used anti-itch cream with Benadryl and other ingredients but I'm still suffering miserably. I’m washing my clothes in hot water and I'm going to try several of your recommendations for chiggers to see if I can finally get rid of this miserable itching. Although this is a regular fishing spot for me, this is the first time I have experienced something like this. Believe me, a pound of prevention is worth everything!

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I got chigger bites in my backyard. I had sprayed myself with ‘Off’, but my feet had gotten wet in the yard, so they were unprotected. The itching was unbearable and the next day they were infected and I had blisters all over my feet. The only thing that helped, is Chiggerex available only at Walmart. It stopped the itching immediately.

Comment from: Jon, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I tried everything to eliminate the super itch of chigger bites. Finally I resorted to scraping the chigger infected areas with a knife blade to release the toxins beneath the skin. Now I applied a gel Benadryl directly onto a pad of a Band-Aid them placed the Band-Aid onto the scraped area. I experienced immediate relief from the intense itching. I have very sensitive skin so I was very vulnerable to chiggers. In the future I plan on spraying my legs and ankles with anti-bug spray prior to being exposed to any chiggers potential.

SLIDESHOW

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: ALL ITCHY, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 13

Chiggers are terrible, all itchy and red blots, and my granddaughter has an allergic reaction to the bites. Just terrible. I felt so sorry for her. I had to wash everything and bathe and use anti-itch creams daily and hourly.

Comment from: Craftersue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

When my parents take me and my sister to Kentucky we always get chiggers. We found out that clear nail polish worked.

Comment from: ponytail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

The first thing we learned when we moved to Western North Carolina is not to pick those pretty white flowers on the side of the road called Queen Anne's lace. These attractive weeds are full of chiggers and will, as we say in the South, 'put a hurtin' on ya'. They like to get under your clothing in tight places like your waistband, your bra line or elastic panty line. Key to fun outdoors is to apply something like Cutter before you leave your house.

Comment from: jody orlando, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I went to the woods for a walk and came home with chiggers. I didn't know for sure till I used an old home remedy of nail polish on them and in minutes the itch subsided. I then used a cold pack to help the heat and itch, calamine lotion does not help, I used a 2.5 cortisone and that didn’t help, but the nail polish did!

Comment from: Andie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I went to an island in Miami and sat under a tree in my bathing suit. This morning I woke up with about ten welts/bites on my left buttock. They are painful and extremely itchy. They are big red raised bites. I believe I was bitten by chiggers.

Comment from: OlderButWiser, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

While walking my dog on a favorite trail, I ran into someone and stopped to talk for about 20 to 30 minutes. The next day I started breaking out with blisters on my ankles and legs and by day 3, I was in agony. I saw a dermatologist who failed to diagnose it, but I mentioned that I'd been traveling and that the bites seemed consistent with scabies, so she prescribed permethrin 5 mg and a topical steroid for the itching. She didn't confirm the diagnosis, so a few days later I went to my primary care doctor and he immediately said it was chiggers and that he sees this every August through September. Fortunately, permethrin is the same treatment, but at least then I knew what it was and I was able to find instructions online for how to clean everything in the house and car. Unfortunately, the itching and bumps (over 150) will take weeks to stop and go away.

Comment from: grumpy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

As someone who reacts violently to chigger bites (dime sized blisters surrounded by quarter to half dollar sized red area around it) I've tried dozens of options. The spray bandage someone mentioned was one I hadn't heard of or tried but it makes sense; it probably works for the same reason nail polish does. I suspect it is either acting as an air barrier or it minimizes irritation by creating a barrier between the bite and clothing. In any event, anyone who invents a real cure will become very rich.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have been getting these chigger bites for the last couple of years. I'm pretty sure I am getting these from gardening in my front yard in Marietta, GA. This week it was the worst. I have 7 or 8 bites on my feet and my arms. I wore long pants, socks, and long sleeves, and gloves, so I'm not sure how they got to me, except one night I didn't shower and change my clothes immediately when I came in, like I usually do. Well, live and learn I guess.

Comment from: Ladygirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

We discovered that if you put liquid bandage on a chigger bite it will cease to itch. It is found where the Band-Aids are. Our drug emporium has it. If you have a cut that a Band-Aid won't stay on, you can use this in place of Band-Aid.

Comment from: Idontno1, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 30

Non-stop scratching of chigger bites helps until the bleeding starts.

QUESTION

Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW