Chigger Bites

What home remedies have you found to be helpful in treating chigger bites? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: flipflop2016, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I accidently discovered that olive oil relieves the itching from chigger bites in about 5 minutes. It lasts for about 4 hours or more, and then just reapply. The bites will be gone in a few days and the itching subsides each time you apply the oil. I live in the woods in Oklahoma and have chigger bites constantly. Everybody that I have shared this with has found it to work just like it does for me. It is easy and available, other oils that I have tried have not worked, just olive oil.

Comment from: NC Doc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I wasn't getting any relief from OTC anti-itching cream (1 percent hydrocortisone and aloe). I took the advice of one commenter and applied diclofenac sodium topical gel (Voltaren Gel) to numerous chigger bites on my inner thigh and groin. Within minutes, the itching disappeared! Now we will see how long the relief takes. I find it interesting that a few commenters offered advice on killing the chiggers 'remaining in the skin' when the article clearly states that they do not! Read before commenting please!

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

Here is a sure fire way to relieve the chigger bite itch for 4 to 8 hour sessions; tolnaftate. It is found in foot spray. Get the liquid kind. Spray and wait a minute. Part two. This works for me for about 15 hours if the chiggers are on the ankles or feet. Get a buck of hot water (not scalding) and add a cup of Epsom salt and a cup of white vinegar, and soak for 15 minutes. If it's real bad I rub the area while soaking, no scratching. I do not dry with a towel, just drip dry and voila.

Comment from: Chughes, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I swear on this home remedy for chigger bites. This works, I've used it many times! First make a mixture of 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water in a large bowl or bucket. Second, using your nails or a stiff brush scratch the bite area raw (not bloody) of the thin top layer of skin. Third, take a rag and generously apply the mixture to the bite area. Allow mixture to sit for at least 60 seconds. Then rinse with pure water. This may sound painful. It stings a bit but it is worth it. The itching will stop almost immediately and won't come back.

Comment from: Shelby Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

Aloe vera gel is the best thing I've ever used for everything from my chigger bites to my dog's fire ant bite to my husband's itchy poison ivy rash. We also use it on mosquito bites. I've used aloe vera gel in a multitude of ways.

Comment from: reholmes, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 28

Diclofenac is helpful in treating chigger bites.

Comment from: Giggles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Noxzema works instantly to relieve the itching. I've had chigger bits on 3 different occasions, used bleach, nail polish, creams, Benadryl, alcohol and nothing helped but the Noxzema. Put it on and leave it on and it works so good!

Comment from: Mag, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 30

On a Sunday I sat on a rock in Tennessee and Wednesday morning red itchy quite small red spots appeared and itched a little. About 25 chigger bites from knees to ribs, mostly in front, which I can reach. The spots were mildly annoying until today, Friday, and now they itch intensely. Using cortisone cream and taking Benadryl (25 mg) helps some, but I woke up after 2 hours of sleep and it is itching again. On this website I read about salt bath (2 c salt in bath). Instead I poured salt from the shaker on the table, stuck my wet finger in it and applied to one of the bites, now 1 inch and red. The itching stopped dead. I worked on the other bites nearby. It can't harm and it seems to work. Now I feel like a potato chip! The other post said to dunk whole body including hair. Guess it depends where your bites are. Caution regarding saltwater in eyes. Thanks everyone.

Comment from: Roma, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 13

Years ago my husband had a bad case of chiggers. Over the counter spray and creams did not work, he finally had to go to the doctor. This doctor was an older doctor and he told my husband that the only way to get rid of chiggers was to take a very warm bath with salt, at least 2 cups of salt added to your bath water. It worked. Make sure to dunk your whole body in the salt bath including your hair. One salt bath is all you need. The result was instant. I have done this myself and also to my kids and it really does work. Salt is cheap so it is definitely worth doing. Good luck to you and hope this has helped!

SLIDESHOW

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: Kerri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

When I was visiting North Carolina very recently I was out late in the evening. I was ok next morning but the next day thought I died. At first I thought they were mosquito bites but then realized the chigger monsters had gotten me. I sprayed so much lidocaine on the bites I could taste it. It does help but the bites started to get infected. Polysporin with 1 percent hydrocortisone and Benadryl by mouth broke the cycle. I am on the mend now. I'm a nurse and even the doctors at work were appalled. Do yourselves a favour, use Off spray for chiggers.

Comment from: shurdn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I was raised in Oklahoma, where chiggers are everywhere. We always covered the bite area with clear fingernail polish, this will kill them. It takes about a week but it does the trick.

Comment from: b maura, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had chigger bites that were extensive. Gold Bond cream and Benadryl tablets were ok but at first I didn't know what I had and worried that it might be contagious. I went to the doctor and got steroid cortisol, and I am better now.

Comment from: Mike brown, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I just dig the chiggers out.

Comment from: jenny, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 16

My dog has been scratching furiously! A neighbor suggested it might be chiggers since I could not find any fleas or other insects. My dog has had her monthly dose of chewable flea medicine. I also put an over the counter flea medicine.

QUESTION

Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW