Cholesterol is a waxy, fatlike substance that the body needs to function normally. Cholesterol is naturally present in cell walls or membranes everywhere in the body, including the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, liver, intestines, and heart. If a person has too much cholesterol in the bloodstream, the excess may be deposited in arteries, including the coronary arteries of the heart, the carotid arteries to the brain, and the arteries that supply blood to the legs.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Cholesterol related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Cholesterol Related Resources
- How Can I Bring My Cholesterol Down Quickly?
- Hardening of the Arteries (Atherosclerosis)
- What Is the Fastest Way to Lower LDL Cholesterol?
- What Is a Normal Cholesterol Level by Age?
- What Diet Should a Person with High Cholesterol Follow?
- How to Lower Cholesterol
- What Foods Should You Avoid If You Have High Cholesterol?
- What Causes Triglycerides to Be High?
- What Does It Mean When Your LDL Cholesterol Is High?
- How Long Does It Take for Red Yeast Rice to Lower Cholesterol?
- High Cholesterol
- Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
- Cholesterol Test
- Statins (Cholesterol Lowering Drugs)
- High Cholesterol: Medications to Lower
- fenofibric acid (Fibricor, Trilipix) (Fibricor, Trilipix)
- ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin) (Vytorin)
- rosuvastatin (Crestor, Ezallor Sprinkle) (Crestor)
- ezetimibe (Zetia) (Zetia)
- colesevelam (Colesevelam Hydrochloride, Welchol) (Welchol)
- fenofibrate (Antara, Fenoglide, Lipofen) (Antara, Fenoglide, Lipofen and more)
- chromium picolinate (Cr-GTF, CRM)
- atorvastatin (Lipitor) (Lipitor)
- fluvastatin (Lescol, Lescol XL) (Lescol, Lescol XL)
- simvastatin (Flolipid, Zocor) (Zocor)
- colestipol (Colestid, Colestid Flavored) (Colestid, Colestid Flavored)
- omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (Animi-3, EPA Fish Oil, Fish Oil and more)
- pravastatin (Pravachol) (Pravachol)
- niacin (nicotinic acid) (B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR and more)
- lovastatin (Altocor, Altoprev, Mevacor) (Altoprev, Mevacor)
Cholesterol Images and Slideshows
- What Are the 10 Worst Foods for Cholesterol?
- Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
- Cholesterol & Triglycerides: Surprising Causes of High Cholesterol
- Cholesterol & Triglycerides: Mistakes That Can Affect Your Cholesterol
- Cholesterol Levels: What's Normal and How to Lower High Cholesterol
- How to Lower Your Cholesterol & Save Your Heart
- Heart Healthy Diet: 25 Foods You Should Eat
- Cholesterol: High Triglyceride Foods to Avoid
- Cholesterol Drugs: What to Expect With Heart Medication
- Picture of Carotid Arteries Disease
- Picture of Cholesterol