Cholesterol is a waxy, fatlike substance that the body needs to function normally. Cholesterol is naturally present in cell walls or membranes everywhere in the body, including the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, liver, intestines, and heart. If a person has too much cholesterol in the bloodstream, the excess may be deposited in arteries, including the coronary arteries of the heart, the carotid arteries to the brain, and the arteries that supply blood to the legs.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Cholesterol related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Cholesterol Related Resources
- What Causes Triglycerides to Be High?
- What Does It Mean When Your LDL Cholesterol Is High?
- How Long Does It Take for Red Yeast Rice to Lower Cholesterol?
- High Cholesterol
- Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
- How to Lower Cholesterol
- Cholesterol Test
- Statins (Cholesterol Lowering Drugs)
- High Cholesterol: Medications to Lower
- Hardening of the Arteries (Atherosclerosis)
- Triglycerides (Triglyceride Test)
- High Cholesterol Management
- High Cholesterol and Children
- fenofibric acid (Fibricor, Trilipix) (Fibricor, Trilipix)
- ezetimibe and simvastatin (Vytorin) (Vytorin)
- rosuvastatin (Crestor, Ezallor Sprinkle) (Crestor)
- ezetimibe (Zetia) (Zetia)
- colesevelam (Colesevelam Hydrochloride, Welchol) (Welchol)
- fenofibrate (Antara, Fenoglide, Lipofen) (Antara, Fenoglide, Lipofen and more)
- chromium picolinate (Cr-GTF, CRM)
- atorvastatin (Lipitor) (Lipitor)
- fluvastatin (Lescol, Lescol XL) (Lescol, Lescol XL)
- simvastatin (Flolipid, Zocor) (Zocor)
- colestipol (Colestid, Colestid Flavored) (Colestid, Colestid Flavored)
- omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (Animi-3, Animi-3 with Vitamin D, BP Vit 3) (Animi-3, EPA Fish Oil, Fish Oil and more)
- pravastatin (Pravachol) (Pravachol)
- niacin (nicotinic acid) (B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR and more)
- lovastatin (Altocor, Altoprev, Mevacor) (Altoprev, Mevacor)
Cholesterol Images and Slideshows
- Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
- Cholesterol & Triglycerides: Surprising Causes of High Cholesterol
- Cholesterol & Triglycerides: Mistakes That Can Affect Your Cholesterol
- Cholesterol Levels: What's Normal and How to Lower High Cholesterol
- How to Lower Your Cholesterol & Save Your Heart
- Heart Healthy Diet: 25 Foods You Should Eat
- Cholesterol: High Triglyceride Foods to Avoid
- Cholesterol Drugs: What to Expect With Heart Medication
- Picture of Carotid Arteries Disease
- Picture of Cholesterol
- More Controversy for Statins in Primary Prevention
- Statin Use Increases Odds of Back Disorder
- Younger Patients With High LDL-C Get Fewer Statin Prescriptions
- FDA Approves Generic-Version of Popular Statin
- Cholesterol-Lowering Medications: Half of Those Who Need Them Not Taking Them
- A New Way to Treat High Cholesterol?
- Avocados Help Lower Cholesterol in Some People
- New Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs Show Promise
- More Docs Wonder If Statins Are Worth the Risks
- Do You Need to Fast Before a Cholesterol Test?
- New Cholesterol Drug Guidelines: Q&A
- Crestor Tops List of Best-Selling Drugs
- Firm Stops Making Generic Lipitor After Recall
- Grapefruit With Some Medications: Risky Business
- Generic Lipitor Recall