Kidney Disease

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JGW22, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

My prognosis for chronic kidney disease (CKD) is glomerulonephritis. I did not notice this. I am not diabetic. I have had a high blood pressure as a result of my kidney disease, but high blood pressure must have not caused my CKD. CKD also causes hypertension like it does vice versa. Earlier this year I had a kidney biopsy done in a hospital near me. When I saw my nephrologist in June this year, she showed me the biopsy and showed my cells of my kidneys were dying. Glomerulonephritis is what I saw from the result of my biopsy, the cause of my chronic kidney disease. Glomerulonephritis is the third leading cause of chronic kidney disease after diabetes and hypertension. Glomerulonephritis has an acute and a chronic form, I probably have the latter. I am also reading that glomerulonephritis can have kidney disease advance to kidney failure, so I am preparing myself accordingly. I have stage 3 CKD. And yes, I do know that even on kidney failure it isn't a death sentence and with proper treatment one can still enjoy their life doing what they love and live many years. I have no one in my family that I know of on a kidney disease.

Comment from: lynnneedsakidney, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed in May 2016 with stage 4 chronic kidney disease. I am a 13 year kidney cancer survivor. My kidney function has been watched for some time. I knew I would eventually end up on the kidney transplant waiting list and that is where I am. I am tired all the time (still working full time), have brain fog, foaming urine, get up multiples times at night for the bathroom. I also experience lower back pain, hiccups and itching. My current GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is 15 and creatinine 3.0. I am living each day waiting for a living kidney donor.

Comment from: Pamb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I have only one kidney, the other was removed due to 16 cm tumor found in angiogram 15 months ago.

Comment from: Doris, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Through blood work, I found that I had CKD about 18 months ago. The creatinine and urea levels were up. I was told I should see a nephrology specialist. I have had no symptoms, with the exception of aches. I thought it was bone pain but seems it is muscle pain.

Jameson, JL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 20th ed. (Vol.1 & Vol.2). McGraw-Hill Education 2018.

"Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO)." Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO). 2008.

"National Kidney Foundation Guidelines and Commentaries." National Kidney Foundation. 2012.

"U.S. Renal Data System, USRDS 2015 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States." National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Bethesda, MD. 2015.