Kidney Disease

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SurvivingLife101, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have been living with chronic kidney disease since I was 29, I am fixing to turn 37. I have been lucky not having to do dialysis yet. I have the swelling, and the undesirable dental problems that allow me to only eat soft foods; none that can be hot nor cold. It feels like my teeth are going to fall out, but that's how I know I'm going into a flare up. I have trouble sleeping and get tired easily. I sometimes have blurred vision and slurred speech. I ache and only urinate 2 times daily. I consume very little fluid due to excess swelling and get very swollen in heat.

Comment from: Bo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I have been on dialysis for almost 10 years because of chronic kidney disease and I lead a totally normal life. I have the occasional problem with my access but all in all I live pretty much the same way as I did before dialysis. I still work fulltime and pretty healthy other than this. It could be a whole lot worse so I appreciate my good health all things considered. The only thing that I find annoying is that it takes me longer to get over common illness now like the common cold. It just seems to linger which is annoying. I feel pretty lucky really. I don't seem to have any long term effects from the dialysis.

Comment from: mz libbey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am a grandma with diabetes mellitus and have had chronic kidney disease (CKD) for thirty years. At age 62 I am still in stage 3. I have CKD anemia now. I have pelvic renal wall urine retention. My left kidney is scarred and atrophied. It began as normal. I keep a good diet and hydrate with cleansing lemon water to prolong good function. I have been on lisinopril to preserve kidneys and control high blood pressure. You can go back and forth with glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and get better. I avoid Tylenol. Feeling exhausted; peripheral neuropathy pain, and back pain are so hard. It is hard to breathe sometimes. I walk with a cane.

Comment from: art, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Here I am at age 83 and was just informed by my doctor that I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease. I had more blood work last week, so I'm waiting for the results. I am at a loss because I have never had any major illnesses. In my 83 years I have never been a patient in any hospital. I don't know what to expect and how long I can live with this.

Comment from: caregiver, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My husband went on dialysis two years ago because of chronic kidney disease. We did not fully understand how important it was to take some of the medicines he was given. Phosphorus binders! By not taking them as he should, he developed a condition called calciphylaxis which resulted in a leg amputation. Please look this up and see what can happen if you do not take your binders. He is doing well now, but for one year he suffered.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 23

A severe case of strep throat caused me to go into kidney failure. Before I could become eligible for a transplant, I needed to lose a lot of weight. While on dialysis, I was approved for gastric bypass surgery, and two months later I received a kidney transplant. I have never felt so alive before as I do after the transplant.

Comment from: Steven CKD, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

In my experience with chronic kidney disease please choose and prepare foods with less salt and sodium. Buy fresh food more often. Sodium (a part of salt) is added to many packaged foods. Use spices, herbs, and sodium-free seasonings in place of salt. Check the nutrition facts label on food packages for sodium. A daily value of 20 percent or more means the food is high in sodium. Try lower-sodium versions of frozen dinners and other convenience foods. Rinse canned vegetables, beans, meats, and fish with water before eating.

Comment from: doretta A., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I found out a year ago that I have chronic kidney disease. Obviously, I have had this for a lot longer, being in stage 3/4. I have also been HIV positive for 30 years, had hepatitis C (recently cured that), and I am very freaked out about my kidneys as there is no cure.

Comment from: arajeswari, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

My creatinine level is 2.11, and other parameters are within limits. I am under the care of a nephrologist for my chronic kidney disease. I am feeling acute body pain every day morning, and in addition pain in feet.

Comment from: GRANDMA NADINE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I was just told by a letter that I am in stage 3 kidney failure. I go see a doctor on the 8th of October. But in the meantime, not knowing how many stages there are I got on here. I am even more nervous now. My mother died from this and so did my aunt, her baby sister.

Comment from: abass a., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have swollen stomach and legs because of chronic kidney disease. I haven't been able to urinate on my own. I do dialysis once every week.

Comment from: RWBIII, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Hi, I am a diabetic, type one and have been since 1956 and of course I am insulin dependent. I have had of course a number of problems over the years. Have had laser surgery on my eyes for bleeding because of that but that was stopped. I have had angio and angioplasty and the last time I went in they told me that one had plugged up again. I will wait until I have a major heart attack before doing open heart surgery. About 2 years ago they told me my kidneys were starting to fail. They, the kidney doctors told me I would have to be put on dialysis. I was really felling very tired. My potassium level was up to a high of 6.9.S. I had the kidney doc put in a fistula and he told me after it was ready in a few months they would start me on the dialysis. At that point I asked the Dr if there was anything to do to reverse or make this go down. He said no. At that point I had stopped my day to day walks with my dogs. I started back up and started watching the foods high in potassium I ate. The potassium has dropped down to 5.6 and 5.7 and I have all my energy back and fell good and that has been just over a year.

Comment from: LadyV,, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have known since I was diagnosed with Lymphoma 32 years ago, that I had problems with my kidneys and they have gradually gone worse over the years and as of now are they are at 18%. The doctors have told me my problem is due to the Cancer. I can't have a transplant because of the Lymphoma as I would need anti rejection drugs which in my case would cause the Lymphoma to wake up again and the antirejection drugs would kill off my immune system and I would die. I am also 74, on Warfarin and have bad antibodies in my blood from the Cancer so my Renal Consultant had said don't even entertain the idea. He said something about Dialysis but I was in shock after learning about no transplant so I don't even know if I can have Dialysis. My eldest Son had some problems with his Kidneys, he was in the Navy at the time serving abroad and they brought him home to have an operation. He died in his 30's not of Kidney failure. My next Son was born very ill and had an operation at Birth to have a Colostomy. He lived for 12 months and then started to go downhill, we were told he had a kidney infection but things went downhill very quickly and they found out that he only had one Kidney and the other was badly diseased so there was nothing they could do and he died at 13 months old. I blamed myself but was told by Doctors that it wasn't my fault, Year later I was diagnosed so I was on a guilt trip again. I had a Daughter who is perfectly healthy and offered to give me one of her Kidneys, it was then I found out I couldn't have a Transplant. I have no intention of giving up though, I have fought the Cancer so will do the same with my Kidneys.

Comment from: sad grandfather, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My granddaughter was born with both her kidneys under developed. I was really upset because the children's hospital had misdiagnosed the problem and was treating her for anemia. By age three she was under weight and height, and suffering bouts of pain, nausea, and fever. At age four during one severe bout, the emergency room of the hospital we were in, sent her to USC med center, where they were able to correctly diagnose the problem. Apparently one of her kidneys was operating at only 17% and the other at 80%. The specialist started her on a regimen of calcium three times a day and vitamin D three times a week. She also began receiving medical exams every month. Let me tell you some were, very painful for her and for me also. Gradually her appetite has improved; she has grown to her normal height and weight. The urinary tract infections have tapered off and her exams have gone to every three months and now to every six months. She does still have an occasional incidence of wetting the bed. She is eight years old now a seemingly happy and carefree child. We thank God every day for the improvements in her life, but the specialist said that the real test would come when she reached her teens. That would be when we would find out if she would need a kidney transplant or not, he said that it was possible that she may not, only time would tell. We try not to think of it, but it lurks constantly in the back of our minds. We pray continually for her and for all those who are experiencing the pain and anguish of such afflictions. We take it one day at a time and cherish each moment we spend with her. I still don't know what her condition is called, though we are thankful that her treatment has so far been covered by medical and the health families plan. Even though it looks like they don't want to cover it anymore. If this happens, we don't know what we will do.

Comment from: ttim158, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I have had chronic kidney failure since the age of 9. At 13, I had to have a fistula in my arm to be ready for dialysis. I am now 43 years old and the fistula is still going strong. At the age of 15, I started CAPD, which stands for Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis. Back then, it was only experimental. I was the first in east Tennessee to do this. Before I was able to live with the CAPD, I had to go through 20 operations before the catheter was able to work. The first catheter was too long and got lodged between my liver and rib cage. So they had to shorten the catheter. I still have nightmares about the catheter in my side. I also have experienced waking up during one of the operations to help with the CAPD. I still have those nightmares, too. My childhood was not normal due to the kidney failure and dialysis I had to go through. I missed a lot of school and failed two years of school. I was unable to go to school from 8th grade to my last semester of my senior year of high school. I did graduate and receive my diploma. I was the first one in my family. My older brother and sister dropped out before they graduated. I did not let my illness hold me back. In 1992, I rejected my kidney because I quit taking my rejection medicine. It tasted awful. Back then, all there was was an anti-rejection med, Cyclosporin, in liquid form. If anyone has ever taken this drug then you know what I am talking about. I have had this kidney since 1993, and it is doing great. The only problem is I have been having trouble with my LDH level going up and down. My creatine is starting to rise, but it has been between 1.8 -2.07 for the past five years now. At least it is stable and no dialysis so far. I thank God for all the doctors that have seen me and treated me over the years.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 47, a wife, a mother and a Grandmother. I have Glomerulonephritis. End Stage Renal Disease. I started dialysis in 2000, received a cadaver transplant in 2002. The kidney rejected in Dec.2008, due to not taking the antirejection medications. Medicare will give you assistance for prescriptions for 3 years after your transplant, after that you are on your own. The one pill I needed was 800.00 a month and I could not afford it, over time the kidney started to reject and I have now returned to dialysis. I have been extremely sick and have lost a lot of my hair and weight. This time around it is very rough on my body. I again have no insurance and have to wait to get back on the list. The government has to do something for us that have no coverage. Make your voice be heard.

Comment from: AKlonic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have been diagnosed with CKD3, hyperparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies anemia. I also have low white cell counts, low blood pressure, a low heart rate and depression. All of this is frustrating. I currently have a staph infection, folliculitis, muscle cramping, bone pain, and a magnesium deficiency. My calcium is too high. I'm constipated frequently. I am not diabetic. I'm frequently tired and fall asleep sitting up. I eat healthy, walk daily, and when I have the energy, I run. I have such strange symptoms and don't understand why.

Comment from: virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have recently been diagnosed with CKD. I am fatigued a lot, but I also have RA, so I thought that was the reason. I am scheduled for a sonogram of my kidneys this next week.

Comment from: Katie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Three months ago, I was diagnosed with State 3 chronic kidney disease and prescribed a diuretic. At the same time, my cardiologist wanted my cholesterol totals down and suggested the Forks Over Knives diet (a vegan diet), which I immediately started. Today I saw the nephrologist. My kidney function had returned to normal. I also saw my cardiologist, and my cholesterol was down 60 points. The only other variable was reduction of stress as I gave up my caregiver stress to another family member, also three months ago. Vegan is not so bad and it's easy to remember not to eat anything that had a head or it's products. I sure do miss my favorite Greek yogurt, but that's all.

Comment from: Honey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have CKD, with 10% of my kidneys working. I seem to get very dizzy and have a bad back. I'm often tired and have lost about 10 kilos of weight. I do still have my appetite, but it comes and goes.

Comment from: worried mum, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My son has just today been told he will most likely need to start dialysis next year as his kidneys are now only functioning at 19%.

Comment from: debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have had renal failure for over six years. I have been on dialysis for five years. I have found that a good diet tailored to my specific needs along with moderate exercise makes a big difference in the way I feel. Kidney disorder is not a death sentence. There is hope. Each day more advanced research is being done. Perhaps someday there will no longer be a need for kidney transplants.

Comment from: Needtoknow, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have what has been termed "Kidney Disease". I regularly go for an injection of Aranesp every two weeks. On the third week I have a blood test to see how I am doing. Sometimes I do not need the shot that week, but most of the time I do. I am 76 years of age, but have always been in good health, have had 7 children, and do not have a history of kidney disease in my family. My question is about the quality of life. I look forward to having a cocktail before dinner, as I have done for my entire adult life. (Remember those 7 children?) Am now being told this could endanger my life.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have chronic kidney disease. I have rejected dialysis in any form choosing instead to focus on radically changing my diet and doing exercise on a daily basis. I feel fine. I have almost no effects from kidney function decline.

Comment from: linlin62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am in stage three of CKD. I first started having problems 40 years ago at the age of nine and I have been attending renal outpatient facilities for 38 years. In recent years, I have had to start on blood pressed and cholesterol medication. My only other problem is anemia, which I never had until 2009. I don't know what the future hold, but for now, I take everything as it comes.

Comment from: Anon from CA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have stage IV Kidney Disease brought on by a virus while traveling. It is in the "severe" stage. I have not met with a dietician, and need to know where to get recipe's to make meals I can eat. I have trouble with digesting lately and I crave water 24 hours a day.

Comment from: kilgore70, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 40 years old and am a type 1 diabetic. One year ago, I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure. I am on all the proper meds for high blood pressure and the like and suffer from very serious fatigue. I am enrolled in Denver Health CICP program for the uninsured. I find in very difficult to obtain health insurance due to these pre existing conditions and have found it difficult to find work due to these health issues.

Comment from: gayle jennings, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I have been married for over 25 years. On our 1st yr. anniversary my husband found out he only had one kidney. After a year of dialysis one of his sisters donated one of her kidneys. Last year, he found out that this one is failing. He takes dialysis twice a week and almost follows a diet. He is waiting for a cadaver. I can tell you that it is imperative to follow the diet you're given and take your dialysis treatments regularly. My husband's stubbornness gets in the way and he sometimes doesn't do what he is supposed to do. I see what it is doing to him. I have tried to help him but it isn't doing any good. So please...for the rest of you stick with it! It is a hard road but it is worth it to stay healthy!

Comment from: Selena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had no idea I had cronic kidney desease untill I insisted on a glucose tollerance test because I disagreeded with the lab work and since I had both diabetes and high blood pressure my DR then tested my kidneys I had 50% usage or function and it went down to 30% now its 59% I havent got a clue what Im doing and a friend just took herself off dialysis and died Im afraid but really working on my health losing weight diet and walk alot Have had numb hands and feet for years spelalist doesnt give me much information I feel positive about my situation because Im doing healthy things for myself

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My partner was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease on his 21st birthday. He is now 27 and during this time he has been on the transplant list and experianced both PD and now Home Hemodialysis. Im so proud of what he has achieved throughout the life changing experiance of dialysis his attitude and bravery astounds and inspire me everyday. I admire his inner strength to keep living and adapt the challenges to his lifestyle. Sure along the way there have been challenges, but he takes them with an air of grace. Even when times get tough he never gives up hope. Many people in our lives adore his strength and courage. When we met a year ago I had no knowledge of Kidney disease. At first their was alot of information to take in, but as time has gone by I too have adapted to the lifestyle. Im happy to go on this journey with him. He has helped me put alot of lifes aspects into perspective. At first he was afraid to fall in love as he didnt want to burden anyone else with the complications. But I wanted to prove to him that with or without his condition he deserves to be loved and live a fullfilled life. Why should he miss out on love? We are planning a life together which will include the regular things like buying a house, becoming married, having children and also a transplant or two, more dialysis and hospital visits. Never give up hope, always keep living, be possitive.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I just got lab results that showed I have Stage 3 chronic kidney disease. The doctor is concerned about my cholesterol levels. Personally, I am more concerned about my kidneys because chronic kidney disease can contribute to elevated cholesterol. I have had many of the symptoms of kidney disease for several years, but it wasn't until today that I actually realized what "your kidney function is a little off" really meant. Now several symptoms are making sense.

Comment from: verity, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My husband has just been told by a doctor's receptionist that he has chronic kidney disease, which has frightened him. I feel that a doctor should have told him.

Comment from: Deanna1247, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am a 62 year-old woman and in stage 4 of CKD. It is very scary. I am not on dialysis yet and my doctor doesn't say much about it, even though I'm in stage 4. But, I wanted to let people know that if you have no insurance at this time, the manufacturers of some of the medicines we need are helping. I just received a letter after applying for Cyclosporin and blood pressure meds. The letter said they would supply it for a year and then I could reapply. It takes some searching on the internet etc., but it saved me a horrific amount of money each month. Check each manufacturer of each of your drugs for applications. They do check your income status, but it's worth the try.

Comment from: grandma P, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I broke my leg and during recovery was attended by various nurses. A report on my progress contained information that I had CKD stage three, which was complete news to me. My doctor confirmed it was on my record, there was no treatment and not to worry. I am 88 years old; I take one tablet per day for underactive thyroid. What a strange world it is when medical information withheld is freely available to others.

Comment from: patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 61 years of age and have had diabetes for 50 years. I started having protein in my urine about 12 years ago. Although I am currently doing okay, constantly worry about the future and having to go on some type of dialysis. My heart goes out to everyone currently enduring this situation. I am on an insulin pump and try very hard to keep my A1C around 6 to 6.5. I will be having a Dr. appointment soon with urine analysis soon and I am already getting scared.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have just turned 60 and found out last week that I have CKD in stage 4. I never had high blood pressure but do now. Never had diabetes, but the glucose is too high. I am anemic, problems with potassium, phosphates, electrolytes and I'm just so tired. I have a headache most of the time, but they say don't take pain pills. I am a Minister and this has really thrown me. I am on a 48-hour urine with catheter right now, so I am bed bound. I just had 12 tubes of blood drawn. My family is not taking this well, so that makes it harder. I don't know where I go from the time the test comes back.

Comment from: Motherof4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm so scared. One kidney was removed 4yrs. ago and I recently had five stones removed from remaining kidney. I am producing stones at an alarming rate. When I ask if I'm losing my kidney they are vague and say "You aren't there yet." I am now having weird pressure when I breathe. Did fasting help? I am 42, married, have 4 children, work and go to school full-time. Yes I'm tired. And scared.

Comment from: My B's Ramon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I am so sorry for all of you who have kidney problems. I have a brother who has this problem, too. He has had it for three years. It is so sad not being able to do anything to take his pain away. He has had three years of dialysis and it has changed him so much. It hurts to see him going through this. I put him in God's hands every day. Our youngest brother can give him a kidney, but our sick brother has now developed a liver disease. The doctor put him on a very difficult treatment and now all he wants to do is sleep. The doctor said this is the only way to kill the disease. If everything goes well, my brother can have the transplant. I admire all of you who are going through this. You are all brave and beautiful people. Take care of yourselves.

Comment from: Corrie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with kidney failure when I had 20% kidney function. Regular check-ups over the years until I had only 6% function left. Dialysis was strongly recommended and, after the insertion of an internal catheter which exited from my abdomen, I started with Peritoneal Dialysis with a machine to which I was attached for eight hours every night and which did five exchanges of two litres per exchange. I used this successfully for fifteen months. Then, after several infections which were cleared up with antibiotics, the internal catheter developed organisms which prevented the dialysis fluid from draining out of me. An operation to remove the PD catheter and the insertion of temporary lines in my shoulder. I have now been for approximately twelve hemo-dialysis treatments of four hours each, three times a week. I am now going to have another operation to have an internal PD catheter inserted and until that is working properly will still go for the hemo treatments. Once the PD is properly on track the temporary lines will be removed. I hope and pray that the PD will work and that I will not have to go back onto hemo. If that happens I will have to have a permanent fistula and that will then be for life, either three or maybe, if I react favorably, twice a week. I am chronically tired and breathless and nothing seems to help for that.

Comment from: fanta23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

I just found out last month that I have chronic kidney disease. It's a new experience for me. I am from Sudan and my whole family still in Sudan. I am fighting this disease myself, and I am only 23 years old.

Comment from: tinymisu, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 18 years old and I have been suffering from chronic kidney disease since I was born. I was born with a pair of weak kidneys and one of them is smaller than the other. This disorder causes a series of other health problems for me. I am now in stage 4, and I feel as if I have grown weaker over time. I've been in and out of the hospital several times.

Comment from: hnb, 65-74 Male Published: December 14

blood tests indicate deteriation of kidneys - sore back and weak leg muscles

Published: December 14

My husband has be diagnosed and we have been researching and found under biblical fasting that the body heals itself he is on day 5 right now of just water and we have been praying .And I've have been doing it too to support him .Will comment later after next ultra sound .

Comment from: max, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease about two years ago from taking a certain medication. I have 50% loss, but have urinary tract infections constantly, suffer from fatigue, depression, and cramps. I see my kidney doctor every 4 months with updated blood tests. I also take high blood pressure medication which I didn't start until I retired from my stressful job (couldn't understand that), but I'm 65 and feel all used up.

Comment from: linzi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease three years ago and I have been in terrible pain ever since. I suffer from kidney infections all the time and I have to go to the hospital for IV antibiotic treatments and control the pain. It is very upsetting. I am only 23 years old and I have a three-year-old son!

Comment from: Len, 45-54 Male Published: December 07

My doctor, the cardiologist and renal specialist have said I have chronic kidney disease and there is nothing they can do for me. They have given me a time limit of only months to live before my kidneys fail altogether.

Comment from: Granny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I am a diabetic with high blood pressure which is kept under control with medication. Several years ago I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. More recently I have been itching and scratching which results in bruising. My doctor tells me that I have "fragile skin" but it appears it could be something more serious. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and will discuss it with him then.

Comment from: leslie, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

I need some help if anyone can point me in the right direction. My boyfriend is 47 years old and he has had the normal work up at the doctor everything was "normal" but there is still something wrong. He has to lay flat on his back to get relaxed to get his kidneys to empty into his bladder and then he urinate up to 85 oz. with no insurance. I can't find any help for him and this is affecting our whole family. I don't understand is this a medical mystery I need some help please!

Comment from: Rosebud, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My doctor recently diagnosed me with Stage III CKD. I requested a referral to a kidney specialist and also to a nutritionist hoping to learn more and perhaps be put on a specific diet. My request was denied. I was told to drink more water and have follow up blood work done every few months. My doctor also told me that CKD is very common in people my age, which is 65.

Comment from: lacreia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

Hi I was diagnosed with kidney failure in 2009 due to high blood pressure and toxemia with my baby. I know it's hard dealing with this disease sometimes you are in pain and you hurt and have a lot of fatigue.

Comment from: Lou23, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for 34 years. My last blood test revealed creatine levels that were elevated. I just learned from my appointment with a Nephrologist, I had stage 3 CKD. It's been a bit of a surprise even though my diabetic control has been very good and A1C's have been around 6.6 for the last many years. I can't help but wonder how long I have before this disease makes it impossible for me to function without a great deal of medical intervention. It seems like it's time for me to change a lot in my life. At my age (64), it doesn't come so easy.

Comment from: rjr, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am in the severe stage of kidney failure. I only have one kidney. I have a stent replaced every three months, due to a blockage in the ureter. I was holding at 29, but this week the number went down to 24. It scares me. I don't want to go into dialysis. There will be no other way if I fall below 15. I am on a near "0" diet of protein. I also have too high of a count of potassium. Also have to follow a plan with no, or very low sodium. I feel so weak most days. I believe I am too old to have a transplant. I have so many allergies, that my body could not stand the many meds. that is required with a transplant. I had cancer in 2004, when I lost my left kidney to a tumor. Thank You for listening. I am also on three meds for High B.P. which I am sure does not agree with my kidney function. Life is short.

Comment from: LB1962, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I am a living donor (15 years ago) and now I have stage 3 CKD. I don't regret giving my sis a kidney she is still alive, she has other health issues but the kidney is doing OK. I have to do the Dr. thing and take all the medications, but for the most part I still feel okay, I am working 50 hours a week, sure I'm tired but I am not giving in.

• Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?

Post View 35 Comments
  • Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?

Post View 4 Comments

Kasper, D., et al. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. McGraw-Hill Education/Medical. 19th edition, 2015.

"Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO)." Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO). 2008.

"National Kidney Foundation Guidelines and Commentaries." National Kidney Foundation. 2012.

"U.S. Renal Data System, USRDS 2015 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States." National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Bethesda, MD. 2015.