Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?

Comment from: Durphym, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with two different cancers on my right kidney in 2013. I was 60 at the time. They were removed by surgery, a partial nephrectomy. No chemotherapy and no radiation. A number of checkups post-surgery indicated I was cancer free. Since then I find that I awake multiple times throughout the night, close to every hour on the hour to urinate. When I do, I find the urine to be quite bubbly. Most days I am quite fatigued because of the chronic kidney disease. I am able to function reasonably well. Luckily, I am retired and don't have to keep any particular schedule. To actually get 8 hours of sleep for one night would be incredible.

Comment from: jhe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a 59 year old female and was diagnosed with hereditary nephritis in 1981 (later determined to be Alport syndrome) and have had gradual progression of loss of renal function since then, reaching stage V chronic kidney disease in March 2015. My GFR (glomerular filtration rate) fluctuated between 12 and 13 for a year and a half until March 2017 when it went to 11. Bloodwork in June and July 2017 showed function declining to GFR 10 and 8, respectively, so I think dialysis will be necessary soon. I have done remarkably well to this point, but have recently experienced fatigue, mild anemia, ammonia taste, queasiness, gout in elbows, and am up every hour and a half or two hours to urinate. My serum levels for the following are a bit low: carbon dioxide, hemoglobin, platelets, and MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration). Serum levels for potassium, phosphate, uric acid and chloride are elevated.

Comment from: Hdiablo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a 34 year old female with many symptoms. Most recently I was informed that due to prolonged use of proton pump inhibitors (20 plus years) I may have chronic kidney disease. I am exhausted, suffer from migraines, urinate up to 20 times a day, and 6 to 8 times at night. I have horrible itching fits, dandruff in the skin, nausea in the morning and have lost 16 lb in 3 months, swollen ankles, and distended stomach. I have pain in my back in right side and under right ribs. I have a very hard time keeping warm as well, and have many days where it is hard to concentrate or remember things.

Comment from: ladydi777, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Since being diagnosed with chronic kidney disease I have had a variety of symptoms, lower backache, fatigue, sudsy urine, depression, and tired all over especially if I have walked too much. The depression and fear are the worst things as I don't' know what the future holds for me with this disease that was caused from high blood pressure. Sometimes I just want to be alone because I cannot do the things I used to do. My urine is sometimes a gold color and it is always there so I get feeling sad.

Comment from: Lady Di 777, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I am a 67 year old female, always physically active. About a year or so ago I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, and it has turned parts of my life upside down. Fatigue is the major issue, but also my stamina for walking; I used to walk a mile a day and thought nothing of it but now even walking short distances tire me out terribly. I try to follow a kidney diet whenever possible, however, finances do not always afford me that option. I fear that I will get more and more tired and lose my physical abilities. So far, it has only affected one kidney, and I am in stage 3, but some days I feel utterly hopeless. Good luck to anyone with this disease, as it has really knocked the starch out of me.

Comment from: Bibien, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with CKD in 2002, at the age of 31. I have been following a renal diet since then with slipping off occasionally due to craving. In 2009, as my creatinine went up to 3.5, my nephrologist put me on a 6-month steroid therapy, which showed me what hell is. It went up to 6 after that and naturally dialysis was advised. I refused and went to a homeopathy doctor. For the last 14 months, I have been following his treatment and my creatinine is maintained around 3. He has cured my recurrent abscesses also.

Comment from: lynda green, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been diagnosed with CKD stage 3, with a GFR of 51. I am tired, (almost all of the time) have joint pain, slight swelling in the ankles and fingers, and generally feel unwell. During the night time, I experience itching and frequent micturation (needing the toilet approx 6 times in the night) I am also very thirsty. I have had kidney problems (many infections) since childhood and it was never fully investigated, about 5 years ago I had my urethra stretched because it was very narrow causing me unable to pass urine.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease

Coronary heart disease is caused by plaque buildup in the artery that provides blood and oxygen to the heart muscle. The plaque can block enough blood goin...learn more >>

Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?