Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)

Please describe your experience with COPD. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: RC, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My family has been very hard-hit by this terrible disease of COPD. If you smoke please stop now. My father died at age 69 and he looked much older, at least 90. He'd been hospitalized for 10 months when he passed. My mother died at age 74, she had been essentially incapacitated for several years, completely dependent on her chief caregiver, my sister. My little sister died at age 47, leaving behind 5 children, 3 not yet adults. Everyone I cared about and grew up with is gone now. They all smoked their entire lives. It's a terrible and terrifying way to die. If you smoke, stop.

Comment from: gypsy rose lee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have COPD and I am on oxygen at night. I try to clean my house and it is almost impossible for me. Also I just found out I also have congestive heart failure and a weak heart. It is so hard to just breathe at times but sitting here smoking as I am writing this, oh my, what to do! Things don't look too good now for me, thanks for listening.

• Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Post View 23 Comments
  • COPD - Diagnosis

How was your COPD diagnosed?

• COPD - Medications

What medications have been effective in treating your COPD?

• COPD - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective in treating your COPD?

• COPD - Causes

What caused your COPD?

Post
  • COPD - Treatment

What was the treatment for your COPD?

Post
  • COPD - Prognosis

What is your COPD prognosis?

Post View 1 Comment

Medically reviewed by Joanne Getsy, MD; Board Certificate: Internal Medicine/Pulmonary Medicine/Sleep Medicine

Albert, et al. Azithromycin for Prevention of Exacerbations of COPD. NEJM 2011;365:689-698.

Badrul A. Chowdhury, M.D. et al. The Risks and Benefits of Indacaterol - The FDA's Review. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:2247-2249. December 15, 2011.

Cahill K, Stead LF, Lancaster T (2012). "Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation". Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4: CD006103.

Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. "Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease." Updated 2014.
<http://www.goldcopd.org/uploads/users/files/GOLD_Report_2014_Jan23.pdf>

Hopkinson, N, Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction: indications, effects and prospects. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine March 2007; vol 13; issue 2 ;125-130.

Lahzami, S., Aubert, JD; Lung transplantation for COPD-evidence-based? Swiss Med Wkly. 2009; Jan 10;139(1-2);4-8.

Nelson, H.S. et al. :The Salmeterol Multicenter Asthma Research Trial: a comparison of usual pharmacotherapy for asthma or usual pharmacotherapy plus salmeterol." Chest. 2006 Jan;129(1):15-26.

Rushton, L. "Occupational causes of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease."
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18078004>