Chronic Pain

Please describe your experience with pain. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: tkph1968, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I have 4 broken bones that I had surgery for, but it has not helped and they still give me a lot of problems. I was given oxycodone, which is what I took (even after surgery) for my pain and it works. I have many broke bones from past that still give me a lot of trouble. Unforgivably my surgeon moved to Texas. I also have a bulging disc in my lower back and severe migraines. I took many different pain pills and the only thing that works is oxycodone, dosage of which I am not sure. It gave me life back instead of living in pain. Now I am staying in bed 24/7, because of the pain I can't move or get up from bed. I just can't bear it any longer. I don't usually ask for help but the pain has gotten unbearable, I have no life but living in bed. I just want to be able to live again.

Comment from: Karren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was a hospital housekeeper for 9 years. The use of your arms was continuous, lifting, pulling, paying etc., not to mention walking a concrete floor 8 hours a day! I'm retired now and my arms pain daily along with shoulders and neck, and I have sciatica. Right now I take 2 Aleve twice a day but it just takes the edge off the pain. I am worried if my pain will continue for the rest of my life.

Comment from: hitcatch, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am diabetic and a heart patient. I have 2 main issues, one I had heart surgery 6 years ago and the scar on my chest has not healed properly as far as I am concerned. I constantly have recurring pain and I am tired of it. My doctors say there is nothing that can be done. When I had a second opinion they said x-rays show that the stainless steel wires they used to put my chest back together again were poking my skin. I had about 8 wires put in, and 3 had to be taken out because they were put in wrong, according to this cardiologist. I still have pain, the scar still doesn't look well. Two, I have pain in the bottom of the ball of my right foot. If I rest it for a day it feels somewhat ok. I play soft ball twice a week (68 years old) and after each game my foot feels stinging pain and or needle like stabs. It swells some, not a lot. Ice helps some, then foot baths helps. I wonder if it can be diabetic nerve pain.

Comment from: Springtime frozen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I have no physical trauma that I can point to as a cause of my pain. I used to be a full time worker eager to work. Now I have been in pain, with severe muscle spasms and stiffness for 6 years. The article defines chronic pain is beginning with physical trauma of some sort; at least I think it did.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: July 09

I have a frozen shoulder. It's tight and I'm in a fair amount of pain.

• Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Post View 22 Comments
  • Chronic Pain - Management

What steps have you taken to manage your chronic pain?

Post View 9 Comments

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

The American Chronic Pain Association.

World Health Organization. WHO's pain ladder.