Cirrhosis: Cirrhosis is a scarring of the liver over a long period, causing the liver to lose its function, which is primarily to filter toxins, aid digestion. Cirrhosis can be caused by a number of factors, often a hepatitis infection or chronic alcohol abuse. Some medications are prescribed to releive symptoms. Liver transplantation is the only curative treatment for advanced cirrhosis.
Liver Disease FAQs How would you know if you have liver disease? Get answers to your frequently asked questions (FAQs) about diseases of the liver.
Expert Views and News
- Death Rates Drop for 5 Top Causes of Death
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Screened for Hepatitis C
- Vitamin B12 May Boost Hep C Treatment
- Milk Thistle Doesn't Help Hepatitis C
- More Now Die in U.S. From Hepatitis C Than HIV
- 'Explosion' of Sex-Spread Hepatitis C in HIV-Positive Men
- Hepatitis C Drugs
- FDA Panel Urges Approval of Hepatitis C Drug
- Hepatitis C Infection Rates Are Stable