Cocaine Abuse (Addiction)

What symptoms did your cocaine abuse cause? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: INLIMBO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have been a heavy user of cocaine over 8 years now, taking it nearly every day now. I have it on my own, I suffer depression, anxiety panic attacks, and phobia, never go out or socialize anymore, let myself go, lost bond with kids, feel isolated, lonely, and scared. I feel I am 2 different people; a monster inside me wakes up for cocaine, I sell myself sometimes, cash for sex, so I get cocaine every night. That's all I think about; where I am to find more cash to get another bag. My nose has a hole so bad I can put the whole of my finger in, feel bones of jaw and cheekbone. My throat dries up so bad I gag for breath, when coke sticks to my vocal chords it takes away my voice till I can cough ok. I blow scabs out every day to clear my nose, my eyes water all the time and I think my right side face has actually dropped. My eyes are not the same as each other, one has drooped down a bit, and my fingers on my left hand are constantly numb. I am scared I will die soon. I am 45 years old and ashamed of myself. I hate myself so much I want to die.

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

Ali, S., C.P. Mouton, S. Jabean, et al. "Early detection of illicit drug use in teenagers." Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience 8.12 (2011): 24-28.

American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association, 2013.

Dackis, C.A., and C.P. O'Brien. "Cocaine dependence: a disease of the brain's reward centers." Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 21.3 Oct. 2001: 111-117.

Holmes, J. "Trends in possession and use of narcotics and cocaine." Crime and Justice Statistics 52 Aug. 2010.

Laura, D. "Gender differences in the subjective effects of cocaine." Barnard College of Columbia University, 2010.

O'Malley, P.M., and L.D. Johnston. "Epidemiology of alcohol and other drug use among American college students." Journal of Studies on Alcohol 114 Mar. 2002: 23-39.

United States. National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA). "NIDA research report series: Cocaine." National Institutes of Health Publication #10-4166. Sept. 2010.

United States. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings, NSDUH Series H-46, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4795. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2013.

Volkow, N.D. "Cocaine: abuse and addiction." National Institute on Drug Abuse. 2010.