The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. The common cold is a self-limiting illness caused by any 1 of more than 200 viruses. The common cold produces mild symptoms usually lasting only 5-10 days. In contrast, the "flu" (influenza), which is caused by a different class of virus, can have severe symptoms.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Cold and Flu related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Cold and Flu Related Resources
Cold and Flu Articles
- Sore Throat
- Flu in Adults
- Fever (in Adults)
- Flu Vaccine
- When Should You Go to the Hospital if You Have the Flu?
- How Long Does a Cold Virus Last?
- How Do You Sleep with a Cold?
- How Do You Know if It’s a Cold or Flu?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Over the Flu?
- Does the Flu Kill You? Can You Die From the Flu?
- Flu in Children (Childhood Influenza)
- Variant Influenza Virus (Swine Flu)
- Bird Flu (Avian Influenza)
- Swine Flu
Cold and Flu Medications
- aspirin, chlorpheniramine, and phenylephrine (Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Formula) (Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Formula)
- acetaminophen, pheniramine, and phenylephrine (Flu & Severe Cold Night Time) (Flu & Severe Cold Night Time, Theraflu Cold & Sore Throat, Theraflu Flu & Sore Throat and more)
- carbetapentane and guaifenesin (Allfen C, Allfen CX, AMBI 1000/5) (Allfen C, Allfen CX, Allres-G and more)
- brompheniramine, codeine, and phenylephrine (M-End PE, Poly-Tussin AC, TL-Hist CD) (Poly-Tussin AC)
- brompheniramine, hydrocodone, and pseudoephedrine (Anaplex HD, Bromcomp HC, Bromph HD) (Anaplex HD, Bromcomp HC, Bromph HD and more)
- carbetapentane and pseudoephedrine (Allres Pd, Carb Pseudo-Tan, Pseudacarb) (Allres D, Allres Pd, Carb Pseudo-Tan and more)
- chlorpheniramine, ibuprofen, and pseudoephedrine (Advil Allergy Sinus) (Advil Allergy Sinus, Advil Childrens Allergy Sinus, Advil Multi-Symptom Cold)
- carbetapentane and chlorpheniramine (C-Tanna 12, Tannate 12 S, Tannic-12 S) (C-Tanna 12, Tannate 12 S, Tannic-12 S and more)
- oseltamivir (Tamiflu) (Tamiflu)
- zanamivir (Relenza) (Relenza)
- chlorpheniramine, methscopolamine, and pseudoephedrine (DryMax, Durahist, Histatab) (AllePak, Allergy AM-PM Dose Pack, Allergy DN and more)
- chlorpheniramine, hydrocodone, and pseudoephedrine (A-G Tussin, Detuss, Hexatussin) (Atuss HD, Atuss HS, Cordron-HC and more)
- dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and pseudoephedrine (Altarussin CF, Ambifed-G DM, Relacon-DM NR and more)
Cold and Flu Images and Slideshows
- Infectious Germs: Where They Love to Hide
- Cold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
- Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
- 16 Foods That Boost and Improve Your Immune System
- Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
- Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
- How to Prevent the Common Cold
- 10 Foods to Eat When You Have the Flu in Pictures
- Picture of Influenza Virus
- Picture of Infectious Mononucleosis
Cold and Flu Quizzes
Cold and Flu News
- Influenza Picking Up Speed Across US
- Influenza Season Has Officially Begun, CDC Says
- Should Flu Vaccine Be Mandatory for Medical Staff?
- Almost Half of U.S. Adults to Skip Flu Shot
- Almost Half of Americans to Skip Flu Shot This Year
- Influenza Activity in US Rises Slightly
- Nurse Fired for Refusing Flu Shot, Protestors Say
- Most Child Tonsillectomies Unnecessary, Study Finds
- Several Influenza Deaths in US, Including One Child, as Flu Season Begins
- Flu Caused 80,000 Deaths in US Last Year
- New Enzyme Inhibitor May Stop Common Cold
- Acetaminophen Overdosing Common, Especially in Cold/Flu Season
- Drug That Claims to Kill Flu as Soon as 1 Day Okayed in Japan
- Nasal Flu Vaccine Back on CDC List of Recommended Vaccines
- Influenza Hospitalizations Highest on Record