The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. The common cold is a self-limiting illness caused by any 1 of more than 200 viruses. The common cold produces mild symptoms usually lasting only 5-10 days. In contrast, the "flu" (influenza), which is caused by a different class of virus, can have severe symptoms.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Cold and Flu related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Cold and Flu Related Resources
Cold and Flu Articles
- Why Do I Cough in the Morning and at Night?
- Are Sore Ears a Symptom of Covid?
- Fever in Adults
- Which Flu Is Worse, A or B?
- How Do You Get Rid of a COVID Cough?
- Influenza (Flu) in Adults
- What Is Congestion Caused By?
- What Are the Stages of Flu Symptoms?
- What Are the 4 Main Symptoms of Sinusitis?
- Which One Is More Contagious, COVID-19 or Flu?
- What Are the First Signs of Getting the Flu?
- How Can I Tell If It’s a Cold Sore?
- How Long Is a Cold Sore Contagious?
- How Long Does a Sinus Head Cold Last?
- How Do I Know If My Immune System Is Weak?
Cold and Flu Medications
- aspirin, chlorpheniramine, and phenylephrine (Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Formula) (Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Formula)
- acetaminophen, pheniramine, and phenylephrine (Flu and Severe Cold Night Time) (Flu & Severe Cold Night Time, Theraflu Cold & Sore Throat, Theraflu Flu & Sore Throat and more)
- carbetapentane and guaifenesin (Allfen C, Allfen CX, AMBI 1000/5) (Allfen C, Allfen CX, Allres-G and more)
- brompheniramine, codeine, and phenylephrine (M-End PE, Poly-Tussin AC, TL-Hist CD) (Poly-Tussin AC)
- carbetapentane and pseudoephedrine (Allres Pd, Carb Pseudo-Tan, Pseudacarb) (Allres D, Allres Pd, Carb Pseudo-Tan and more)
- chlorpheniramine, ibuprofen, and pseudoephedrine (Advil Allergy Sinus) (Advil Allergy Sinus, Advil Childrens Allergy Sinus, Advil Multi-Symptom Cold)
- carbetapentane and chlorpheniramine (C-Tanna 12, Tannate 12 S, Tannic-12 S) (C-Tanna 12, Tannate 12 S, Tannic-12 S and more)
- oseltamivir (Tamiflu) (Tamiflu)
- zanamivir (Relenza) (Relenza)
- echinacea (Echinacea)
- chlorpheniramine, hydrocodone, and pseudoephedrine (Detuss, Hydron PCS, Notuss) (Atuss HD, Atuss HS, Cordron-HC and more)
- dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and pseudoephedrine (Altarussin CF, Ambifed-G DM, Relacon-DM NR and more)
- dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and phenylephrine (Certuss-D, Duraphen Forte, Duraphen II DM and more)
- guaifenesin, hydrocodone, and pseudoephedrine (Deconamine CX, Decotuss-HD, Detussin Expectorant) (Drituss HD, Dynex HD, Entex HC and more)
Cold and Flu Images and Slideshows
- How to Get Rid of a Cold: Natural Remedies
- How to Prevent the Common Cold
- COVID-19: Don't Delay Doctor Visits Because of COVID
- Cold, Flu, & Cough: How to Clean After Illness
- Cold and Flu: What Doctors Do to Boost Their Immune Systems
- Cold, Flu, & Cough: Symptoms of Immune System Problems
- Lung and Respiratory: Signs That You May Have Had COVID-19
- Cold, Flu, and Cough: Things That Suppress Your Immune System
- Cold, Flu, and Cough: Why Do I Have the Chills Other Than Fever?
- Cold and Flu: The Truth About Hand Sanitizer
- What Your Nose Say About Your Health
- How Your Immune System Functions
- Cold, Flu, and Cough: 13 Foods to Eat When Fighting the Flu
- 16 Foods That Boost and Improve Your Immune System
- Ear Infections: All About Ear Conditions
Cold and Flu Quizzes
Cold and Flu News
- CDC Recommends High-Dose Flu Vaccines for Seniors
- H5N1 Vaccine Readied for a Possible Influenza Pandemic
- First 'Flurona' Cases Reported in the US
- Does Zinc Really Help Treat Colds?
- Kids Should Get the Flu Shot This Season
- Giving Flu and COVID Shots at Same Time Appears Safe, Effective: Study
- Getting Closer to a Lifesaving Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Vaccine
- Is It a Cold, the Flu, Allergies, or COVID-19?
- Most Parents Unaware Flu Vaccine More Important This Year
- When Viruses Collide: Flu Season During Pandemic
- Influenza Vaccination Critical During Pandemic, CDC Says
- Influenza Activity in US Remains High, and Still Rising
- Coronavirus Is Bad but US Flu's New Numbers Still Far Worse
- Flu Shot a Mismatch for Main Strain, Season Far From Over: CDC
- Flu Rates Rising, Pediatric Deaths Double Compared to 2018: CDC