Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax)

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Nathan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I was heading to the store with friends when I got a really bad achy feeling in my lower back on my left side. The pain quickly grew from my back up to my shoulder and onto my chest, all on the left side. So my friends took me to the hospital where after a few hours I was told my left lung collapsed. I went in for surgery right away for a drainage tube and was released 4 days later after it re-inflated.

Comment from: Worried, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have a right shoulder pain, but no chest pain. I am wondering if that is also a pneumothorax.

Comment from: Ricci, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had spontaneous pneumothorax that had collapsed my right lung 50 percent. I felt no pain at any point. I did however feel a lot of pressure in my chest which I thought was related to the cold I was getting over. I also had a hard time getting a full breath and when I lay on my right side it became even harder to breathe. When admitted to the emergency room they inserted a tube into my chest to suck the air out and re-inflate my lung. I'm not a smoker and the doctor said it was caused by a burst bleb on my lung.

Comment from: Lslymrs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 46, female, and had a spontaneous pneumothorax out if the blue. I wouldn't say I had pain. I just couldn't catch my breath. I was a smoker and had a chest drain inserted and was in hospital for seven days. I live with the fear that this is going to stop me from get back to work, or doing things alone like shopping trips.

Comment from: Frank B Lewis, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had an operation and my right bottom lung collapsed. I was given a gadget for breathing exercises. It’s been a couple of months and I can still feel pain when I take a deep breath.

Comment from: Frank B Lewis, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Comment from: Sean, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have smoked for 25 years and also have been in the auto body field for the same amount of time. I was recently diagnosed with COPD. About a month ago I suffered a 100% collapse of my left lung. It was very painful. I was fine one minute, then the next I thought I was having a massive heart attack. The doctors inserted a chest tube and then had to perform surgery which included trimming the top lobe and stapling my lung back together. After all that my lung still wouldn't inflate until they vacuumed all the phlegm out. Needless to say I since have quit smoking and I am not sure if it's a good idea to return to auto body work. I’m glad to be alive and I’m still recovering.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had very bad pain. It was very hard to breathe. I thought I was having a heart attack, so I called the ambulance. As it turns out, it was my left lung that had collapsed. I had three chest tubes to drain infection from around the lung.

Comment from: twin1, 55-64 Female Published: October 21

I woke up one morning and had what felt like a broken back. I called my sister to take me to hospital. It only took five minutes for the nurse to listen to my lungs and then the blue light went flashing and nurses rushed me into a room and told me my right lung collapsed. I had a tube inserted, which was very painful. Five days later, I was released. Six months later, I had the same thing.

QUESTION

COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the same as adult-onset asthma. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW