Colon Cancer

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your colon cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: LinJune2018, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a Caucasian female, age 57.5. My colonoscopy revealed 18 polyps and a mass mid-rectum -adenocarcinoma. My only symptom was one small blood droplet in toilet for 12 months, and another 6 months before colonoscopy. Otherwise all seemed well. Blood lab test were all within normal limits, except CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) slightly elevated at 9.7. Staging was T3, N positive, M0. Treatment protocol was pre-operation chemotherapy and radiation for 5.5 weeks, followed by surgery in 6 to 12 weeks: LAR with TME, and then full on chemotherapy post-operation. Scary!

Comment from: Vutomi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I'm really not sure yet if it is colon cancer or not, I'm still waiting for the results. I've been having blood in my stools, it's been two months now. I am always constipated and my doctor booked me for colonoscopy. Then I was told there are little tumors in my colon. He took a sample to run some tests, I am afraid if this might be a sign of colon cancer.

Comment from: Bella Gates, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I've never had colon cancer but recently, my stool has contained more mucus than normal. Also, some days I don't feel as if I've fully evacuated myself. Wonder if I should worry. My mother died of colon cancer after finding it way too late.

Comment from: joe blow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My symptoms of colon cancer were constipation and pain in lower right side until bowel movement.

Comment from: David W, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 20

My symptoms of colon cancer were difficult bowel movement and itchy rectal area.

Comment from: Sony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am facing breast cancer again. I have all of the colon cancer symptoms as in the articles you have in your page.

Comment from: seif, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I am undergoing my chemotherapy after surgery to remove the tumor which was in the colon wall. The surgery was 28th September 2017 and am doing fine though still passing through the big challenges of tiredness of the body from the chemotherapy drip. I still need to know about cancer in general, this will help me to reduce the pressure I had.

Comment from: Thankful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was having an extreme amount of fatigue, acid reflux, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, lightheadedness; my ankles and feet were swollen for a couple of days so I was scared it was something to do with my heart so I called my Internist to see if I could get a physical. He at first was going to have me try Prilosec for the acid reflux but he made a comment that I looked anemic so he decided to do a physical. I had an EKG that same day then I came back the next day and had blood drawn, a pulmonary test and chest x-rays. He called me the next day and said that my hemoglobin was down to 5.5, I was dangerously anemic and that it could be life threatening if I didn't get to the hospital right away. I went to the ER and they ended up checking me in. I was given 5 units of blood and was scheduled for an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy the next morning. When I woke up expecting to hear bleeding ulcer, they told me I had colon cancer. I had a mass 2.5" long x 3" wide and there were several of my lymph nodes affected. They also did a CAT scan where they detected a cyst and an undefined mass on my liver along with a cyst which they originally thought was on my ovary but ended up it was on my tubes. I just had the surgery last Friday; they removed 1/4 of my colon and the cyst that was on my tubes (it was benign). The mass and cyst on my liver were both benign. I received my path rpt this week and there were 32 negative lymph nodes. I will be seeing the surgeon on Monday and he will refer me on to an Oncologist to determine if I need chemo. I am 51 years old and this was my 1st colonoscopy; I always swore I would never have one because of the prep. I am just so thankful that I went in when I did. Listen to your body; if something doesn't feel "right" and you don't feel like yourself; go to your doctor just to be safe. I don't know if I would even had went in still this week if my co-worker hadn't put little scare into me.

Comment from: Athena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 63 year old female, recently diagnosed with colon cancer after submitting a fecal sample. What alerted me that something was wrong is an extreme craving for sugar, weight gain and pencil thin stools. I developed a 'belly' when all my life my abdomen was flat. Years prior I noticed blood in my stool, but my physician told me not to worry and it probably was from my hemorrhoids. I am scheduled for my first colonoscopy. I am dreading the results.

Comment from: Posie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

My first sign was stomach aches after eating and drinking, blood in stools, and nausea at all times and weight loss. I felt as if I needed to have a bowel movement most times.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 61-year-old female who was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 60. I had 12 inches of my colon removed and several lymph nodes also. Eight lymph nodes came back showing cancer so I started chemo treatments for six months every two weeks. I had a total of 12 treatments. I am now finished with chemo and now do blood work every three months and CT scans every six months. My symptoms were some red blood in the stools, pencil-like stools, constipation and then diarrhea. I was also extremely tired all the time.

Comment from: vicente, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am a 74-year-old male. I had absolutely no symptoms or warnings that I had cancer. In May 2009 I suddenly felt like I had diarrhea but it was all blood and I went to the ER. I bled profusely through the rectum for an hour or so until they got it stopped. The doctor did a colonoscopy and found a stage II cancer. He did a resection and removed 18 inches of my colon. In the past two years and eight months, I have had two additional colonoscopies and two CT scans, plus blood tests. So far, no recurrence. I had polyps removed in 1990 and was supposed to get a colonoscopy every five years but stopped after the first one came out negative. I should have continued with the regular colonoscopies. I could have saved myself a ton of grief.

Comment from: Ohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Prior to my diagnosis with colon cancer, I suffered weight loss and being tired all the time. After seeing a doctor, found out I was anemic, and started taking iron pills. Within a month of various tests, had to go into the hospital for blood transfusion, where the cancer was detected.

Comment from: Doudou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

One year ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was operated and 2 third of my colon was removed. The colon was totally blocked. The symptom I had were: not having an appetite, eating very little and feeling full, pain that starts in the middle of my tommy and then moves to the right side. After the operation I had oral chemo. The medication named Xeloda. Now I feel fine I gained back a few kilos that I had lost and my blood tests are normal.

Comment from: Suzanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

The only sign I had was a low iron count and a pain under my right breast. I am 60 years old and just had my first colonoscopy. I was shocked to learn that I had pre-cancerous polyps and a mass in my large intestine. It has not spread to my organs and will be removed in two weeks. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is not in my lymph nodes. I am not interested in receiving chemotherapy. I will be looking into more natural therapies.

American Cancer Society. "Colorectal Cancer Statistics, 2017." 2017. <http://pressroom.cancer.org/CRCstats2017>.

Cancer.Net. "Colorectal Cancer: Treatment Options." August 2017. <http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/colorectal-cancer/treatment-options>.

"Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and staging of colorectal cancer"
UpToDate.com

"Overview of the management of primary colon cancer"
UpToDate.com

"Colorectal cancer: Epidemiology, risk factors, and protective factors"