Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention Tips: Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the virus that causes COVID-19. Reduce your risk of infection with the following tips: wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol; avoid touching your face if your hands aren't washed; practice social distancing (maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet).
Must Read Articles:
CoronavirusCoronaviruses are very common and typical cause cold-like symptoms. There are seven coronaviruses that infect humans, with SARS, MERS, and COVID-19 being the most notable of the seven. However, COVID-19 (Wuhan coronavirus, 2019 novel coronavirus, or 2019-nCoV) appears to be more contagious than MERS or SARS and appears to not only spread via respiratory secretions, but it may also spread through fecal contamination.
CoughsA cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healthcare professional. Common causes of coughs include infection, allergies, lung disease, medications, and GERD (reflux). Acute coughs are categorized as infectious or non-infectious. Chronic cough (persistent cough) have a variety of causes and should be evaluated by physician. Treatment of cough, acute cough, chronic or persistent cough depends on the cause of the cough.
Fever in AdultsA fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment of fever in adults usually involves ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or aspirin.
Fever in ChildrenFever is defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4 F or 38 C. Fever isn't life-threatening unless it is persistently high - greater than a 107 F rectal temperature. Fever is usually caused by an infection. Treatment focuses on controlling the temperature, preventing dehydration, and monitoring for serious illness.
Flu in AdultsFlu (influenza) is an acute infection of the nose and throat airways. This infection may spread to the lungs. Flu is the most frequent cause of acute respiratory infection in people of all ages. Symptoms of the flu include fever, severe aches and pains, headache, dry cough, sore throat, and at times vomiting and nausea. Treatment for the flu includes home remedies such as OTC pain relievers, rest, and hydration. Medical treatment for the flu includes antiviral medications.
PneumoniaPneumonia is inflammation of one or both lungs with consolidation. Pneumonia is frequently but not always caused by infection. The infection may be bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic. Symptoms may include fever, chills, cough with sputum production, chest pain, and shortness of breath. The pandemic COVID-19 coronavirus causes viral pneumonia in a percentage of people who contract the virus.
Viral PneumoniaPneumonia is an infection or inflammation of the lungs. It can be in just one part of the lungs, or it can involve many parts. Symptoms of viral pneumonia include low-grade fever, coughing up mucus, tiredness, and muscle aches. A percentage of people who contract the deadly pandemic COVID-19 coronavirus develop severe lung symptoms that may include viral pneumonia. The best treatment for viral pneumonia of any cause is to rest and keep the patient hydrated.
Coughs (Acute and Chronic) A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healthcare professional. Common causes of coughs include infection, allergies, lung disease, medications, and GERD (reflux). Acute coughs are categorized as infectious or non-infectious. Chronic cough (persistent cough) have a variety of causes and should be evaluated by physician. Treatment of cough, acute cough, chronic or persistent cough depends on the cause of the cough.
Expert Views and News
- WHO Clarify Comments on Asymptomatic COVID Spread
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 Spread Deemed 'Rare'
- COVID Cases Rise in South and West Amid Protests
- How Many People Are Avoiding Emergency Rooms?
- Claims of a Weaker COVID-19 Virus Disputed
- What Will It Take to Reopen Offices Safely?
- Distancing Works, N95 Respirators Work Better
- Managing COVID-19 Risk With Common Immune Disorder
- COVID-19 Reopening: What's the Risk?
- COVID-19 vs. Flu: Blood Clots in Lungs
- Panic, Abuse, Addiction: COVID-19 Mental Health
- FDA Alert on Accuracy of Rapid Test for COVID-19
- Vitamin D: A Low-Hanging Fruit in COVID-19?
- FDA Targets Fraudulent COVID-19 Products
- COVID Pediatric Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome
- SARS-CoV-2 in Semen of COVID-19 Patients?
- Animals Get Coronavirus, Too
- Many Are Skipping Medical Care, Immunizations
- More Financial Doom or COVID-19 Death Spikes?
- COVID-19 Transmission to Household Members
- 500 TSA Employees Test Positive for COVID-19
- When COVID-19 Mutates, What Are the Risks?
- Is 6 Feet of Social Distance Enough?
- Blood Clotting, Strokes in Young Adults With COVID
- The Great Invader: How COVID Attacks Every Organ
- Coronavirus Herd Immunity: Antibody Test Accuracy
- The Road Ahead With COVID-19
- The COVID-19 At-Home Test Kit Approved
- What Will Antibody Testing Tell Us About COVID-19?
- COVID More Widespread, Less Severe
- No Recommendations for COVID-19 Treatment for Now
- WHO Guidelines to Lift COVID-19 Shelter-in-Place
- Where Did the COVID-19 Virus Come From?
- Higher Mortality Rate in Ventilated COVID-19 Patients
- Chloroquine, Zinc, Vitamins to Prevent COVID-19
- CDC Issues New COVID-19 Return-to-Work Guidelines
- Doctors Puzzle Over COVID-19 Lung Problems
- COVID-19: Red Cross Wants Blood Plasma Antibodies
- Anti-Parasite Drug Ivermectin Stunts COVID-19
- How Long Does Coronavirus Stay on Clothes?
- What If a COVID-19 Test Is Negative?
- COVID-19 'Infodemic': Coronavirus Misinformation
- HHS Investigating Complaints Over Ventilator Rationing
- COVID-19: More Hydroxychloroquine Data From France
- 'Stealth Transmission' of COVID-19
- Remdesivir (RDV) for Coronavirus
- Risk Factors for Death From COVID-19 Identified
- Providing Routine Care in the Era of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Is Hydroxychloroquine the Answer?
- Stores Offer Seniors-Only Coronavirus Shopping
- CDC Expert Answers Top COVID-19 Questions
- Warning Against NSAID Use in Coronavirus
- 'Overwhelming' Number of COVID-19 Cases Expected
- Know the Symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Dialysis Should Continue Despite COVID-19; CDC
- WHO Declares COVID-19 Outbreak a Pandemic
- Managing Children's Fear, Anxiety With Coronavirus
- Some Could Show COVID-19 Symptoms After Quarantine
- Low Stock, High Prices for Coronavirus Supplies
- Flood of COVID-19 Patients Could Swamp Hospitals
- CDC, FDA to Expand and Expedite Coronavirus Tests
- Coronavirus' Top Targets: Men, Seniors, Smokers
- COVID-19: CDC Reports Possible Community Spread
- Coronavirus a 'Tremendous Public Health Threat'
- Silent COVID-19 Cases May Stymie Screening Efforts
- Public Health Restrictions for COVID-19
- CDC Confirms 13th Case of Coronavirus in US
- Coronavirus Is Bad But Flu Is Still Worse
- Coronavirus Fear Goes Viral on Social Media
- Coronavirus Risk Low in US, HHS Says
- CDC Confirms Five Coronavirus Cases in US
- First Case of MERS in United States