Costochondritis

Please describe your experience with costochondritis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Madle , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I believe I just self-diagnosed myself with costochondritis. About 2 months ago, my dad had an emergency open heart surgery and my whole world collapsed. Few days after his surgery, I started having really strong chest pains. It was in the middle of my chest and felt like someone was grabbing me, pulling on it almost. It was pretty intense for days, I went to the emergency room, they didn't find anything and the pain started to go away. Yesterday it came back, not as intense but it's here and it bothers me.

Comment from: Breezyhurts, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about two years ago. I am 19 and female. I'm in pain daily is what it seems. When I am in pain it lasts for long periods of time, usually around 3 to 4 weeks of constant pain, which feels like a heart attack and like I can feel something unhooking itself inside my chest. I can't roll over in bed, or sit up by myself which is embarrassing and frustrating. I work in a restaurant which is getting harder and harder to lift trays and carry heavy plates. I want this to subside.

Comment from: Kishore, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 22

With costochondritis I am having pain in the right side of my upper chest for the last two or three years. When there is pain there is difficulty in deep breathing. It feels as if some weight has been put on the chest. Physical strain like fast walk or tightening a screw or unlocking a tight door lock/bolt ignites the pain and it takes hours to go. When there is pain it tends to lead to coughing which gives momentary relief. Pain killer medicines give temporary relief. I have also experienced that it tends to increase after a meal.

Comment from: Rach, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had chest pains with costochondritis for 6 years in counting. I have had x-rays, physical therapy, a laundry list of medicines, nerve block injections and some form of acupuncture, to no avail, none of these treatments worked to resolve my pain. Doctors keep asking me if it is stress related. No, it isn't. My sternum hurts at the sense of touch; wearing any kind of bra doesn't help either.

Comment from: Amy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm only 21 and healthy, so was pretty sure the stabbing pain in my chest wasn't serious. I don't do physical labor, or play much sport. The doctor diagnosed costochondritis but it has been fairly persistent, returning about once a week, usually when I am lying in bed. I'm allergic to ibuprofen, which basically means I just have to put up with it. If anyone has a solution I would love to hear!

Comment from: Jackie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have had pain off and on for years in the center of my chest. Cortisone shots used to help. I even went to the gastroenterologist. I do have a 10 mm hiatal hernia, but that doctor thinks that's not what's causing pain. I get pain in the afternoon, and when I lie down it goes away. Pain pills work! I am at end of my rope, I wonder if it might be costochondritis.

Comment from: Kaaro, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I was rushed to the emergency room thinking I might be having a heart attack. I had stabbing pain on the left side chest area, couldn't breathe good, very heavy feeling, and sweating profusely. The doctor then checked around with his stethoscope and said everything is fine and said I have costochondritis. I had ECG just to make sure it was not heart attack. Result was normal. Three weeks later the pain is still ongoing which radiates to my shoulder, arm, and spine. I was given carisoprodol and it does help with the pain. Side effect though is bad so I don't take it anymore.

Comment from: Skinny 44, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

My costochondritis started with sharp pain around sternum area and around the right side of my ribs. I am a female and find wearing bra even a wire-free one very painful. I am not in pain all the time but when it flares up painkillers don't even work. I try to rest for a while and continue on. The pain does get you down as people don't understand how painful it is. I guess I will just have to learn to live with it.

Comment from: TammyJoe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been dealing with acute upper abdominal pain that radiates to my back and left shoulder on and off for about 10 years. Last May 2018 the attacks got worse with the pain and I noticed that my upper abdomen would swell, especially after I eat. For a long time I thought it was an effect of my GERD. I went to the emergency room (ER) and then to my gastroenterologist who diagnosed me with a diseased gallbladder and stones. I had my gallbladder taken out hoping that this would solve everything. Wrong! In three weeks' time I started having the attacks and swelling again! I thought maybe a stone was stuck in my bile duct but liver tests came back fine. I have had all kinds of tests at the doctor's and two different ERs and they all came back fine! I was researching my symptoms for about the hundredth time and saw this page on costochondritis. I really think I've self-diagnosed my problem by reading all of the forum messages. I will definitely mention this to my doctor this week! I have fibromyalgia and have also had 4 laparoscopic surgeries with one dealing with my abdomen. I have also had a thoracic surgery where they cut under the shoulder blade to get to my abdomen and esophagus to re-fix my GERD problem. All of these issues seem to be factors for this syndrome. Only bad thing if I do have this is that it sounds hard to treat and I cannot take any NSAIDs due to reflux issues! Any help in this would be so helpful! Thanks!

Comment from: Lily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

This is all new to me, I am physically fit and no health problems at all. It happened on January 29 that I felt chest pain and shortness of breath, making me think that I was having a heart attack. After a month of having checkups (family doctor and emergency room) and a lot of tests, everything was normal (blood test, ECG and x-ray). Only muscle spasm or anxiety was the diagnosis that the doctors were telling me. I never stopped going to my doctor about this and on March 1st, she finally pressed my left chest and I felt the pain, then she pressed the right and (boom) I still had pain on my left chest. That's the time she found out that the problem with me was costochondritis. Anyway it was a relief to know what really the problem was with me, rather than keeping on thinking it was something else that gives me even more anxiety in the end. Now I really have to be very careful in all my activities. I am still in a recovery period and hoping that one day it will be gone.

Comment from: J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have been having what feels like a heart attack for about 2 weeks now. I went to the emergency room where I was diagnosed with costochondritis; no cause, no treatment except take ibuprofen. I am usually very active, so I am going to go play hockey tonight as I am sick of this. Guess I will be on a double dose of Nurofen in the morning.

Comment from: WolfInPain, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I got a dog about a year and a half ago (Husky). She pulls on her lead so hard and so sudden that I cannot catch it most times. So one night lying in bed, my dog lay right down on top of me, I thought she was nuts so I pushed her off. I was already feeling awful, she then sat on my left side and put her paw on the left side of my chest, and then it hit boom! I thought ok, this is it, I'm done. Paramedics came, and I was off to the hospital for a 15 hour wait only to be told oh I am ok, nothing was wrong, and to go home. So I went to my doctor who pressed on my chest, and I nearly slugged her. She said it was costochondritis, that it will be gone in a week or so, and to take naproxen (terrible drug, makes you sicker than you already are). It has now been almost a year with this. I am sick and tired of going to bed at night scared that I will not wake up in the morning. I am tired of just picking up a glass of milk and having a flare up. The last one lasted about 5 days straight. Now, you go for that long thinking every minute of the day that you are having a heart attack try it! I had a vascular scan and a stress test. I was told my heart is strong, all is well and no blockages, and agreed that this is costochondritis. I am sick of this, no one can tell me how it is cured or if it can be cured. I try to rest as much as I can but I have duties here in my home so rest is out of the question. I take pain killers like candy, they do nothing. I am scared with this and fear within me turns into anger and I snap at my wife and I don't mean to, but she understands (I think). I have researched this and I have found forums full of people that have had this going on 10 years. At first it felt like my chest was on fire, but ice cold at the same time; it went all across my chest down the arm in the back. Sometimes it feels like someone is folding my ribs in half. I try deep breaths but when it's in the ribs you cannot get a good breath. It causes my panic attacks to be more frequent. It always feels like I am in cardiac arrest. To get to sleep I take about 3 or 4 sleeping pills with a side of 6 pain killers and when it gets to the point where I can barely walk, it is bed time. That's my temporary cure (do not do what I do, very dangerous)! It's that or I stay up all night and sleep in the day so my wife is awake and if anything happens she is there for CPR or whatever might be needed. I am sick of this, I want it gone and I do not wish this on anyone. Take care everyone who has this thing.

Comment from: Bruce, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I have been diagnosed with costochondritis for two years now but have been suffering from it for about ten years. Mine is a trauma induced from an auto accident in my youth. The only solution I have found which provided measurable sustained relief is this strange and stupid sounding treatment my chiropractor does. Using her knuckles, she presses down hard on each rib and run the knuckles from the center chest out along the rib. It hurts awfully, but in a few moments, the pain is gone and I can resume normal physical activity. When the costochondritis is at its worse this treatment can provide relief for about a week, when the costochondritis is not so bad it can provide relief for several weeks.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I suffered with costochondritis for several years, finding life quite difficult. I found spinal mobilization in the thoracic region to be helpful, as it is the spinal nerves carrying the nerve pain around to the front, causing inflammation. Ice over the T6 T10 area helps to quiten the nerve.

Comment from: jennylee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am a women, and in September 2017 I will turn 55. This is my 3rd time I am dealing with this awful, painful condition costochondritis. I have learnt some very easy and some very hard lessons, with costochondritis. Heat bag is your new best friend. Taking 100 percent rest is important. Make very slow fluid movements; sloth-like. No lifting anything is a must. Think outside the box, be creative and flexible with the way you do things. Stay calm, if it gets the job done doesn't matter how silly it looks or feels. Have hobbies where there is no exertion. Patience is essential. Emotions play a big part but keep them in check. Allow yourself to work through your emotions, anger, helplessness, depression, feeling sorry for yourself, etc. There is always someone worse off than you. I myself have had over 45 operations and procedures, not willingly. I am the wrong age for this, I am the wrong sex for that, but I battle on. My best friends have both had bladder cancer. Costochondritis will eventually go away. Ladies, go braless. Thirst and nights sweats are common. Finally, learn to slow down. I found this very hard. Good luck everyone, I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Kanksmomm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was diagnosed with costochondritis last year after I drove to the emergency room. I was prescribed with prednisone and it relieved it for about a year. I go back to the doctor on the 11th. So maybe it will take the pain away again.

Comment from: kpenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had pain from costochondritis and localized swelling in my sternum for months now (6 to be more precise). Pain when I sleep prevents me from any restful sleep, which is contributing to other factors. I cannot take anti-inflammatory medications, and Tylenol does not help. I take two Benadryl and two 500 mg Tylenol before bed to sleep for about 2 hours and then awaken to the pain again. I am fatigued all the time, in pain all the time. I have found nothing that reduces the pain. Horrible feeling.

Comment from: MaTiger1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I have had costochondritis 19 times now. It is so very painful. Luckily it only lasts a few days each time. Lifting and doing hard work usually brings it on.

Comment from: kaymr1230, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I started feeling pain in my sternum back in May/June 2016. I thought I was having heart issues until I saw my doctor and he said it was just inflammation, or costochondritis. I have yet to find anything that helps enough to where I'm not miserable most days of the week. Ibuprofen helps some days, but it's only a Band-Aid. Picking up my 2 year old is getting harder and harder. I live on a 3rd floor apartment and can hardly carry groceries up the stairs. I can't sit still long, and stretching is painful, but helpful. I wish there were some way to just make it stop. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Comment from: saveadog, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was recently admitted to the hospital with severe chest pain that would radiate into my back. After ruling out heart disease, I was diagnosed with costochondritis. I am now taking 500 mg of naproxen. Hoping for the best to relieve some of the pain!

Comment from: Claire, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a sore niggle in middle of chest. I have a pacemaker and was worried it was my heart. I rang the doctor who told me to ring 999. I did and was checked by medics. I was taken to hospital, checked a lot and they came up with costochondritis. What a relief really! So I took ibuprofen and it seemed to improve. But now I have done too much gardening and hurt again.

Comment from: RA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I started experiencing chest pains and trouble breathing especially after physical exertion about 4 months ago. It progressively got worse and today I saw my doctor. She did an EKG and chest x-ray and they all looked normal. Then she started pressing on my breast bone and ribs and I almost hit her as the pain was intense. She has diagnosed it as costochondritis and gave me an injection of Toradol (anti-inflammatory) plus a 5 day oral prescription. I have felt it ease somewhat after only 8 hours and am hopeful it takes care of it. She also has me scheduled for a work up with a cardiologist tomorrow to make sure nothing else is going on. Keeping my fingers crossed that the Toradol does the trick!

Comment from: Painful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My pain started after doing a lot of heavy lifting at the start of this year. I could no longer turn over in bed especially on my left side but the pain started under my right ribs. This gradually worsened and I thought I had bad gastritis. My doctor diagnosed costochondritis. I am still having tests. It is so painful I cannot sit upright for long or lift anything heavy. Pain goes right through to my back and all over my upper torso. I have to take painkillers as soon as I wake and any movement makes it worse. I cannot take anti-inflammatories so this makes it worse.

Comment from: Jgarcia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

My pain started this past Monday. I woke up in excruciating pain, it felt like a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and they ran tests on me. One doctor gave me a gastro intestinal cocktail; which did not work. The other doctor that came in asked me if that helped and I said no. He then gave me a shot of Dilaudid, which made my whole body heavy to relieve the pain. Then he told me I had inflammation in the chest wall also known as costochondritis. It is now a week later and I am still having the pains. The doctor prescribed me with Ibuprofen 800 and Percocet. He told me to use heating pads. I am glad that there are others out there with this.

Comment from: LuluJean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 8 months back and still have been having issues with the pain especially if I do any of my dancing or a lot of house work. I cannot pick up anything over 10 lb. now without pain. I have to be careful on the amount of food I eat also, plus if any of the food gives me gas. The gas can make my ribs hurt from the other side. I cannot sit very long in one place either.

Comment from: Parge, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 02

So pleased to know there are other people around with the same problem. Having put in my symptoms, it came up with costochondritis, and I had never heard of it before. I was convinced it was to do with my stomach, having had problems before with gastritis. I had been moving furniture and painting walls, etc. And now I realize that I had put a strain on my ribs. I couldn't stand wearing a bra and also I wasn't feeling hungry when my stomach was inflamed. I was told just to take paracetamol as I cannot take ibuprofen. I also had pains around my midriff and back. So now I will lay off the decorating! Was glad I went to the doctors who confirmed the diagnosis!

Comment from: anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have had very intense pain in my chest due to costochondritis, as well as bouts of awful numbness. I have found an amazing remedy; lots of yoga. It is fantastic, my symptoms are 99 percent better.

Comment from: Staylor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been hurting for past couple days and today on 11/30/2015 it has got worse. I have sharp pains in my chest and it hurts to breathe or lie flat down or on my left side. So I went to the emergency room to see what was going on and the doctor said it was costochondritis, and that is the worst thing you can ever have. I have never hurt so bad in my chest with really sharp pains.

Comment from: Kingsley, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

Several years ago I began showing symptoms of costochondritis but doctors in the emergency room (ER) and general practice could not diagnose. Then 3 years ago, while working in a restaurant kitchen, the symptoms became much more severe. Often looking like a heart-attack, I would lose the use of my arm, my jaw would tighten, I'd feel a stab in my chest, and fall to the ground. Eventually it took me out of my career. Someone gently poking me in the chest could send me to the floor. After 18 months of MRIs, x-rays, heart monitors, and blood tests my doctors decided it was costochondritis. They told me to rest and take anti-inflammatories. I was told that was the only help possible. Since then I have been fearful of exercising my upper body. Most symptoms have subsided but again I've had to lose out a lot on my career and life style.

Comment from: ME, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was just recently diagnosed with costochondritis yesterday afternoon, 11/11/2015. I was having bad chest pains while I was at work. Next day they were still there but now my left arm was going numb/tingly. The next morning I went to see my doctor but she was closed for the holiday. I didn't think it was too serious to go to the emergency room (ER) so I went to a Minute Clinic. She then told me to go to the ER immediately or she would call 911. When I arrived at the ER they started some tests then let me sit for a few hours which is when I realized it wasn't anything to serious. Later they diagnosed me with an inflamed sternum and some arthritis around the joint. Not sure if raking caused this or running on my treadmill. All I do know is I always get the gender specific weird things. This is just another thing I will have to live with and it is awful. The pain is terrible when it escalates and I will have to try a heat pad. I hope it works. Good luck to you all as well.

Comment from: Sallie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was diagnosed with costochondritis three years ago by two different doctors in two different states. Both doctors said they knew how to treat it and both prescribed Meloxicam. One doctor gave me a prescription that orders the 7.5 mg and the other doctor gave me a prescription for 15 mg tablets. My symptoms go away for several months but eventually return.

Comment from: Kika, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I went to the emergency room with chest pain in July. I thought I was having a heart attack, but was diagnosed with costochondritis. I took the prescribed 800 Motrin, and used a heating pad. The doctor put me on prednisone for 10 days which helped, but doesn't want me on it long term. Nothing is helping. It constantly interrupts my sleep. I can't exercise so my back and hips are getting weaker. I am not enjoying life and this constant pain is really wearing me down. I really wish there was a cure.

Comment from: cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

Day 1, I went to bed and could not lie on my stomach. I have pain, low right side below rib. Day 2, I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me with costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome. I am taking ibuprofen but pain continues. On day 4 pain has radiated around to my right side of back. Stabbing pain occurs at random movements. Sleeping is also very difficult, I cannot roll over, I have to sit up to change position and lie back down; very limited positions without pain. It is now day 5 and no relief.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had an allergy shot last week which turned into an allergic reaction. I had itching, chest pain, and swelling. A week later, I still feel terrible with pressure on my sternum and right side. I went to the urgent care and they took several tests and an EKG, which was normal. The doctor told me I had costochondritis which could be relieved with heating pad an ibuprofen. This pain is very annoying.

Comment from: Alexei, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been in constant pain for over 2 months from costochondritis (not my first bout), pain in the back both sides, and sternum. I also have chronic sinus problems. I am kind of wondering if repeated sinus infections could be a cause, because of all the coughing. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss this. Maybe reaming out my sinuses will help. I don't know. I have lost my sense of humor with this bout.

Comment from: juju, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

A couple of months ago, I bent over to put on my shoes and could not straighten back up or breathe without terrible pain in my chest area around my heart. My blood pressure shot up to 198 over 97 and I got nauseated. I have never hurt so badly! My family called for ambulance and it took me to the emergency room. They did all kinds of tests and scheduled a stress test and a liver check and admitted me. My heart doctor came in and said I showed no signs of heart trouble. He mentioned inflammation in my chest cavity and I remembered that several years ago I did pretty much the same thing and after every test in the world, my other heart doctor ruled out heart and diagnosed costochondritis.

Comment from: Gem, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have only been diagnosed today with costochondritis. I have had the chest pain a week now. Originally I went to hospital because the symptoms were similar to those experienced when I had a mild heart attack. Thankfully all cardiac tests returned negative. Lying on my side in bed increases the pain which is in the sternum and radiates under the right breast. I don't know if it's related or coincidence but the joints in my hands are quite painful at the moment too.

Comment from: Ms. Wash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Costochondritis is nothing to play around with. I was on my way to Church one Sunday and wound up in the emergency room instead from having unbearable pains underneath my right breast. The pain was so intense it would radiate from under beneath the breast to all the way around to my back and that part of my body felt as though someone was in there chiseling away the skin to get out to freedom. It pained off and on for a period of about four to five weeks. After taking antibiotics and using a heat pad I found a lot of relief. Good luck to anyone else that contracted that condition, it is not a cup of tea.

Comment from: Sylvia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I suffer from costochondritis every few months. I was admitted to Accident and Emergency 3 times as chest pain was so severe and I had breathlessness. No real treatment, only paracetamol, but I immediately go on a diet, as losing that extra weight around my midriff seems to help and I wear no bra. Plus I try not to slouch either. What causes it I am not sure, I have never been told; just that it can recur periodically.

Comment from: wrongagain14, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had costochondritis for at least 3 years, because of which I am constantly in pain and can't breathe. I have sharp pains in chest and loss the left side arm feels like lead. I am on morphine and tramadol which I have to take regular, under my general physician's advice. I see him monthly and he keeps a close eye on me. Must try heat pad to see if that works.

Comment from: Painful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been suffering from this condition for almost 3 years now, maybe longer because I would usually get a cough that would last 4 to 6 months and no medication would help. Finally in May 2015 my doctor said I have costochondritis. He said there is nothing I can do other then take Advil, or sometime when I can get it Ibuprofen prescription. Every day I use a heating pad too which I apply daily to the affected area or areas. I am really worn down and out by the pain. It is a constant ache with sharp shooting pains especially on my left side and my skin is sensitive to the touch at times. I wear a very loose bra because the regular bras hurt and by mid-day I can hardly breathe. I've had an x-ray to rule out a broken rib, and seen the heart doctor to rule that out. I've consulted with other doctors who all said the same thing; they didn't know what it was. They say it will go away on its own, but when! It has gotten worse since I retired in 2013 and I can't really enjoy myself because of this stupid pain. I tried to explain this pain to family and friends, but no one understands and it is hard to explain what you have. I just don't get it.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had a burning sensation in my upper chest, near the collar bone. My blood pressure was high. I went to emergency room, and stayed overnight. There were no problems found with my heart, after many tests. I did a follow up and my doctor concluded it was costochondritis. It is now starting to improve.

Comment from: Mngal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My costochondritis started when I was pregnant with my first son; a little foot was in my ribs. I just had a small spot of tenderness. This has grown and grown and wearing a body brace after spine surgery really weakened the area. Now, it covers a large are of my left ribs and injections only give a few weeks of relief. A rib belt helps keep me going. I get a bit of relief from Voltaren. Sometimes I do fine with minimal issues and other times it's really debilitating. I do not use rib belt unless it is needed. I have never met anyone else with this, but my pain clinic tells me they treat it often.

Comment from: Linda C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had costochondritis since 2012, it started with a dull ache on right side, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rib. My doctor gave me 3 injections this past January, and I was fine until this past week. I just got 3 more injections last night and I am feeling better but have to take prednisone for 2 weeks, and now a bone scan. I thought I was done with this! Guess not.

Comment from: TikTak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have full rib cage pain. I only sleep about 4 hours a night because the pain is too intense for me to stay lying down and stay asleep. It starts feeling better after a few hours of being out of bed. I nap during the day sitting up, can't lie down. The pain makes it hard to breathe or move around. I remember having rib pain throughout my life since I was a child. But nothing as severe as this. One occasion I did have severe pain and required medical attention. I was in my early thirties and while working I was lifting 30 pound boxes which I held against my chest. The doctor said I had inflammation in my sternum cartilage and gave me anti-inflammatory drugs. I have now been experiencing the severe pain in my rib cage for 2 months. Besides costochondritis I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have an injury that caused disability in my upper body. I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Comment from: Roseyuk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I've suffered from this very painful costochondritis, ever since I broke 4 ribs and punctured my lung, some few year ago. I am now left with awful pain in the sternum and on the chest both sides. If I touch it or lie on it, I have what I can only describe as an electric shock. That leaves me going hot and cold, just like a panic attack. It is very debilitating. I've had steroid injections couple of years ago, which were also very painful as they have to give them between your breast bones. They did help for a while, but I can no longer receive them as I have damaged kidney. The best they can offer are pain patches, which do not help either.

Comment from: Jedi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

For many years I have had pain in my L1, L2, L3 and 7th rib bone plus xiphoid area which was caused by costochondritis. I have researched about this symptom because I had severe pain coming back once a month regularly. Doctors only prescribed me with pain reliever or morphine type drugs.

Comment from: Stasia Marie , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I've had chest, rib and back radiating pain once in 2015, and now for 3 months I have had excruciating pain from costochondritis. I've tried everything from acupuncture to Chinese herbs to opioids to Tylenol to Jacuzzi and nothing helps. My doctors are completely oblivious to this, so I'm now demanding antibiotics. I've had it with this pain 24/7 and it is bad; I lost my job and my life.

Comment from: Mark , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

My pain from costochondritis starts at my spine between my ribs. Then it becomes inflamed and comes around to my right side. Now it is starting to do the same on my left side.

Comment from: Chica13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I knew it was not a heart attack but it hurt so much while doing abdominal exercises and then my stomach hurt too. I have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) so I thought maybe two different problems. Costochondritis kept getting worse every time I exercised.

Comment from: Darla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

At a very fast pace restaurant kitchen I ran into the corner of a large stainless table and thought I'd broken a rib but my ribs checked out okay. Ever since that time I've had pain underneath my rib cage when making certain movements or after working out with hand weights. That was almost 6 months ago and I am still having a problem with it. I can't stop working out that long because I'm getting fat but I wonder if I can wrap my rib cage area while I'm working out and if that would help with the costochondritis.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have had this horrible pain for years! It is precisely right under my right breast. I had it so bad a few years ago that if I moved even a tiny bit, the pain would be unbearable. Afterward, I have to vomit. Also, my systolic blood pressure goes up close to 200 because of the pain. It is directly under my right breast. I get horrible night sweats. I've been to the emergency room numerous times with this pain, and they never find anything wrong. I wonder if this is costochondritis. They gave me morphine, Demerol, etc., and the pain would not go away. Sometimes it radiates to my right scapula in my back. I had my gallbladder removed and it did not solve the problem. I am miserable. Aleve barely helps.

Comment from: rnob6185, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have just been diagnosed with costochondritis today 4/25/17. I have been in pain since I had my breast done 7 years ago. My left side had a very hard time healing and I had several infections during my healing process and once that was all cleared I kept calling my surgeon telling him I was in pain still. He said it could be nerve damage and it could take a couple years to heal. So for two years I continued to hurt so I called the surgeon again and he had retired so I made an appointment to see a new surgeon. He said if I still hurt he will take them out and that was his only solution to my problem, and I left crying and no clue what to do. I have seen my doctor and she suggested I see a reconstruction surgeon and they say nothing is wrong with the breast, so I have done chiropractic care and physical therapy for years now. So yesterday I had a CT scan and got the results today showing inflammation and so now they say this is costochondritis and told me I could not lift things with left arm, or use my left side for scrubbing (I own a tanning salon and have 6 kids so that is not possible for my life). So now I guess there is nothing that can be done so I figure if I have lived 7 years with this pain, I guess I just keep going on with no sleep, excruciating pain and cry at night and then get up tomorrow and do it all over again.

Comment from: Jeanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was diagnosed with costochondritis 3 days ago. I thought I was having another heart attack like I did in 2009. With any movement my upper middle chest begins to burn, and it travels through to my upper back and up into my ears. I am terrified. The pain is excruciating.

Comment from: Shobs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

In have been suffering from chest pains on my right side and the doctors keep saying it's just inflammation and to take Aleve and rest it. This is five months later and I can't sleep and if I move the wrong way that electric pain is enough to take my breath away. I am beyond frustrated as I think this is costochondritis.

Comment from: Brittnee J., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I am 25 and recently I was diagnosed with costochondritis and with that came panic attacks amongst other things, but I will tell you guys how I solved my problem. I took the prescribed medication which was steroids and anxiety medicine. I quit taking the anxiety medicine because for me it seemed to make things worse. Plus I have really bad acid reflux so I was taking that medicine as well. So after days of chest pain and everything else I realized that I hadn't gone to the bathroom and I noticed at times when I burped my chest pain would go away for a quick second so I decided to take a laxative and sure enough after the laxative kicked in and a whole off day spent in the bathroom I feel a whole lot better. I'm no doctor but I think that costochondritis is caused by acid reflux, but hey what do I know! Good luck, I know every ones pain.

Comment from: CHANDRAKANT TAK, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I slept in bed and at night I fell on the ground on the right chest and I have pain. It is 9 days past but the costochondritis pain is continuous.

Comment from: Painful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had on and off mild chest pain but it gradually became worse, so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack. It really hurt when I would breathe in or lie down. I ended up in Accident and Emergency and was admitted for 2 days. I still have on and off pain from costochondritis and am being treated with anti-inflammatory medication. I am awaiting ultra sound of liver.

Comment from: Rads lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have asthma flares which due to struggling to breathe inflame my chest wall. Doctor said it was costochondritis. My chest hurts to breathe. I lie around, take 800 ibuprofen, do anything and it inflames worse, and hurts worse. It is very painful, and I get lip service that asthma cannot cause this.

Comment from: miss l, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have suffered with this costochondritis for more than six months. I have had Marcaine and Kenalog injections in my chest which haven't worked. I had tramadol and they don't work either so I don't know what to do. I walked some mornings in a lot of pain.

Comment from: cool grandma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was diagnosed with costochondritis in January. I am no better and have not been able to return to my yoga regime. I feel very frustrated with this situation. No OTCs have helped. I do little to aggravate this situation but it persists.

Comment from: costmomma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My costochondritis started with an ignored chronic cough. How many of us busy moms take care of everyone but us! Well then I lifted a table with a heavy TV with my left arm and immediately felt a terrible pain. Weeks after I thought I was having heart problems, and after the doctor poked my back on my upper left side and I screamed it turned out I have costochondritis. And now almost 1 year later it is back.

Comment from: tapi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I have pain on the right side of my chest. It hurts while taking deep breath. The costochondritis pain has lasted more than four months and my chest muscles are in a constant strained state.

Comment from: Sandy09, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I got told I had costochondritis back in 2006. I went 3 months with chest pains. The first month I had it my arm would tingle and I couldn't feel a thing in it. I was only 15, I was so scared but all my tests came back normal. Finally after the 3rd month they sent me to doctor who knew what it was. I am now 24 and still suffer every time it gets too cold for me to handle. I feel like I can't do a thing but somehow I keep moving on.

Comment from: Shirt, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 10

A couple of years ago my husband took me to the emergency room because we both thought that I was having a heart attack. Now every once in while I get the chest pain but now it is under my left arm pit. I imagined all sort of things and when I was examined it was the costochondritis again. This is very painful.

Comment from: Robyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Costochondritis is very painful, at first I thought I was having a heart attack, now I know what it is, I can relax knowing it wasn't my heart. Thanks to the hospital's very good staff; it scares me thinking of not being able to do much at all. I have worked hard all my life, now it hurts so bad just picking up the kettle to fill it.

Comment from: Kerry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed with costochondritis in August 2008 and still have it. My doctor told me in 2008 that it would be gone after six months and how I wish that were true! I have no idea what brings it on. Some days I might have a couple of sharp pain. I had a cortisone injection into the chest in 2008, but it didn't help at all.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I thought I was having a heart attack. The experience was overwhelming and scary. I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest.

Comment from: misscrochet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

This is the most excruciating pain ever. I have had a lot of abdominal surgeries and this hurts just as bad. I can't lift left my arm. Every time I breathe, I want to scream.

Comment from: Destiny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had a sore throat which turned into a fever and eventually a bad cough. The cough has lasted about 3 weeks, but started to go away. I started to feel a sharp pain in my chest deep under my right breast. The pain eventually became more and more sharp and painful until I decided to go to the ER. I am a nurse who works on a cardiac floor, so, I frequently see people with chest pain. I became afraid that may be I had something seriously wrong with me. All my tests in the ER were negative and I was diagnosed with costochondritis. The doctor told me to take motrin, but, my pain is still severe. I have been using a heating pad. Hopefully this will go away soon.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I have been "suffering" from this nasty condition for almost two months now. I take naproxen prescribed by my doctor every day and use a heating pad applied to the affected area twice a day. My doctor gave me a pack of cortisone which I finished a few days ago. I have tried not to take Vicodin except to help me sleep, but I am really worn down by the pain. It is a constant ache with sharp shooting pains and my skin is extremely sensitive to touch. I have been unable to wear a bra since the start. I've had an X-ray to rule out a broken rib. I've consulted with three doctors who all say nothing but wait it out.

Comment from: Catherine, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 03

After a biopsy my entire left side hurt. I was told it would go away in a few days. After 3 weeks of terrible pain, I was diagnosed with costochondritis. I could not lift my left arm; it was painful to breathe and to move my left side. I was prescribed ibuprofen every 6 hours, which sent my blood pressure soaring. I ended up in the emergency room.

REFERENCE:

Firestein, Gary S., et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, Ninth Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2013.