Cystoscopy

What caused you to need a cystoscopy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Willem, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

Due to an enlarged prostate, a cystoscopy was needed. I was told by a nurse, a couple of days before, the procedure could be painful. The brochure I got stated that it could be painful as well, and could take about 15 minutes. Of course I was nervous about the whole thing, but there was no need to be. The doctor used a flexible line, it was not painful at all and the procedure took all of 5 minutes.

Comment from: Bo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I passed a bit of blood which apparently came from a kidney stone. The doctor wanted to do a cystoscopy to ensure nothing was wrong with the bladder. Procedure was done in the office with no general anesthesia, just a tube of lidocaine or something similar injected in urethra prior to procedure. Minor pain as scope passed prostate. Nurse's preparation lasted about twenty minutes with genital scrub and sterilization and injection of anesthetic. Actual procedure lasted about three minutes. No discomfort afterward. And, fortunately, nothing found.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I went this week for a cystoscopy because of microscopic blood in urine. This was picked up by my general physician on routine urine test. I'm a smoker and 50 years old and told I was high risk for bladder cancer. Urologist did ultra sound and nothing was found! I then had CAT scan and nothing found. I had my cystoscopy under general anesthesia with three biopsies. I woke up with pain level of 4 and was manageable. First few times urinating was painful but drinking lots of water helps take the sting out! I would do it all over again because early cancer is treatable! I now have peace of mind.

Comment from: marto, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

After a bout with prostatitis, the urologist wanted to do a cystoscopy to see if anything was going on. The procedure was very painful, I will never ever have it done again unless if under some form of general anesthesia. I was not even aware that this was even going to be that painful.

Comment from: over60inATL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

There was blood in my urine. I had my first cystoscopy today and it was nothing like I thought it would be in my mind. It was over in 3 minutes and I got to see what the doctor saw, as it was happening. No pain at all.

Comment from: Cheryl , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had terrible pain with cystoscopy! No sedation. I will never have it again without sedation.

Comment from: Chandrakanth, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I cannot believe there was no pain with cystoscopy. I got my cystoscopy done in 2000 and it was so painful that I do not want to even remember again. Perhaps now there may be anesthesia. Even after cystoscopy I suffered pain for more than six months, since the blood clot inside needs to clear as it obstructs the passage of urine, and when urine is passed, there will be pain. I cannot believe the way it is written.

Comment from: RJ, 65-74 (Patient) Published: April 10

One day after driving for a good while I had to urinate and it just trickled out, and then nothing at all. I went to the hospital they put a catheter up my penis and set me up with a urologist. He put me on tamsulosin 4 mg twice daily after doing cystoscopy examination, and now a colonoscopy test is there.

Comment from: It-won't-hurt-BULL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Two days ago I had a cystoscopy in the urologist's office with topical anesthetic due to microscopic blood in urine. The doctor said I'd feel a bit of a pinch and maybe some burning. But it was very painful, more like an electrical pinch/burn that went on and on. Then after getting home urination was excruciating for the first 12 hours with lots of burning and blood, not just spotting like the doctor's office said. I will never have this done again unless I'm under general anesthesia.

Comment from: chandler, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Even though I am very healthy, I had a urine test that showed a small amount of blood in urine. My doctor advised me to have a cystoscopy.

Comment from: Feather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had a frequent need to urinate. I had blood in my urine for two years and I decided I need to evaluate what is causing this, especially the onset of really urgent urination and severe pressure. I had an MRI last week with showed cysts, urethral diverticula and am having surgery to remove those and will be scoping the stomach at the same time via laparoscopy and possibly removing the ovary because of tumor.

Comment from: BLONDGOD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I was urinating a lo of blood and urinating was extremely painful.

Comment from: endosucks18, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had a cystoscopy because I have endometriosis and they wanted to see if any had found it's way into my bladder.

Comment from: barima, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

55 years old. There was blood in my urine due to an enlarged prostate.

Comment from: gateway, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

A narrowing of the urine stream caused me to go for cystoscopy.

Comment from: ZIGABA, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have had a one time occurrent of what appeared to be blood in the urine. My urologist has ordered the cystoscopy for me.

Comment from: martdon, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

When I urinate I show a split stream. My urologist is looking for something that may be blocking the flow in my urethra. My prostrate was normal, and the cystoscopy was normal. I am showing bleeding one day later.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Escalating level (from trace to 1+) of blood in urine samples over the past 18 months had my PCP send me to a urologist who is recommending a cystoscopy in addition to an ultrasound (renal) to investigate/evaluate possible causes.

Comment from: JW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Just had my 5th Cystoscopy. I get repeated bacterial & interstitial cystitis. This time I have had botox injected into the bladder walls to help prevent my bladder from shrinking and the walls from cracking.

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

Repeated episodes of blood in urine, along with intense pain while trying to pass urine. Antibiotics seem to rectify the problem, but it keeps occuring when I finish the course of antibiotics. I've had four separate courses of antibiotics, and the pain and bleeding has returned within 2 to 3 days of finishing each couese. However I completed the last course nearly 6 weeks ago and so far all seems okay. I'm told by the urologist that the cystoscopy is to try and determine why the infection kept returning. I'm now wondering whether I should leasve well enough alone.

Medically reviewed by Michael Wolff, MD; American Board of Urology

REFERENCE:

"Diagnostic cystourethroscopy for gynecologic conditions"
UpToDate