Dehydration (Adults)

What was the cause of your dehydration and how was it treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Natkingkoi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

Strep throat was the cause of my dehydration. I am on IV, but still dehydrated. I am pushing in fluids.

Comment from: denna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I became dehydrated a week after my gall bladder was removed. I became dizzy when I tried to stand or walk, and I also became clammy.

Comment from: Pam , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

The cause of dehydration is we are in temperatures that are in the high 90s. But the humidity is really high too. Yes, we have a heat advisory.

Comment from: Larry , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I thought I had beaten dehydration. I drink plenty of water, sometime anywhere between 48 to 60 oz. of water a day, or electrolyte water. When I'm at work I walk up a hill at least three to four times a day. Once I get home I'm tired around about 10 I go to sleep and that's when the cramp occurs.

Comment from: Nikki, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My mother was brought to ER because she was dehydrated, they kept her over night and put on a IV of liquids.

Comment from: Txgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had to have my colon removed due to ulcerative colitis. Diet and meds control how often I have a bowel movement but I always have diarrhea. Dehydration is a real problem for me and I've been hospitalized several times for it. My symptoms were lightheadedness, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, muscle cramps, extreme tiredness, loss of appetite and weight loss. In the hospital IV fluids, magnesium and salt tablets got me back in order.

Comment from: Article 15, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

Besides being administered an IV, lying in a bathtub of water and sipping a cool glass of water is the fastest way to hydrate yourself. When you experience dehydration, your body temperature rises and your skin becomes dry. From personal experience of spending 39 months in Iraq, I never had a bathtub for my convenience so I'd soak myself with water and I'd sit in a shaded area and sip on cool water. It never failed me.

Comment from: Barb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had dehydration several times. My physician has told me to drink large amounts of sports drinks, which have magnesium, when I have symptoms. Also, he has prescribed 250mg of magnesium each day for me.

• Dehydration (Adults) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your dehydration?

Post View 11 Comments
  • Dehydration - Prevention

What steps do you take to prevent dehydration?

Post

Medically reviewed by Avrom Simon, MD; Board Certified Preventative Medicine with Subspecialty in Occupational Medicine

Hunter, Janis. "Fluid Needs." Clemson University. 2011.
"Dehydration." Medscape. Updated Dec. 31, 2015.
"Dietary Guidelines for Americans." U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dec. 2010.