Dehydration (Adults)

What were the symptoms of your dehydration? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tiger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

All of my body started cramping from dehydration. I had to lie on the floor and stretch out so I wouldn't cramp. I couldn't stand up, I would get nauseous and my stomach would cramp up real bad.

Comment from: Vanna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I woke up with a migraine headache! I started to feel dizzy, light-headed, and no strength in my legs and hands. I could feel my pulse in my ears. I feel nauseous with dry mouth. I am unable to swallow and my throat hurts. I am unable to stand without falling over. The back of my calves are cramping. I want to vomit but nothing comes out and I am lying here sweating, wishing this feeling would go away. I think it is dehydration.

Comment from: juanitacruzns, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I experienced lightheadedness after church. I drove a bit, pulled over and got a drink, and passed out. I woke, drank more water, and got home feeling very dizzy, spinning around. I couldn't walk into my home, falling several times, and I fell inside. My daughter found me very dizzy, room going all around, blood pressure wouldn't read. She got me to bed and gave a drink. We didn't know what was wrong till the morning, after looking at some of my notes from hospital visits before and saw I had these systems before when I had dehydration. Then I remembered for the past week my dry skin, tiredness, sleepiness and headaches all the time. I am very scared as I live alone. I always have water with me. I don't understand why this is happening.

Comment from: sick&tired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have high blood pressure (BP). My doctor recently added a second BP medication. I began having frequent headaches, feeling lightheaded. Last week my husband and I went on a road trip for a week to visit our daughter. My usual intake of fluids was greatly reduced. On our trip home, I began having pain in my upper left side and back, feeling nauseated and dizzy. My urine was darker than usual. I realized I was very dehydrated. As soon as I finished my second bottle of water, my pain began to diminish. It has been two days, my urine is almost clear, dizziness gone, and pain barely noticeable. I am going to my doctor on Monday to be evaluated. Hoping I didn't do any permanent damage. Dehydration is serious, especially if you are on medications that increase your susceptibility. Don't ignore the warning signs! Drink plenty of fluids daily!

Comment from: strngeagl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am not sure if dehydration is what I am experiencing, I have all the signs mentioned, but have one other that is worrisome. I get so cold. I start shaking pretty bad. I get in bed and cover up, it still takes about 10 minutes to calm down. I have a new pacemaker, wondering if the blood thinners are producing this effect. I am seeing my cardiologist on Tuesday. It is going on a week of spending all my time in bed staying warm. I have lost three pounds.

Comment from: OneWithTheSkies, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I got sick from eating three donuts, and since then, that was two days, I've been doing nothing but getting sicker. Yesterday I was too nauseous to eat. Today I'm dehydrated. I have some of the mild symptoms, but I have some of the severe as well. I'm really lethargic right now.

Comment from: jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I had dry mouth, difficulty breathing, and lightheadedness because of dehydration.

Comment from: harry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I was walking when I suddenly began to spiral out of control. I fell flat on my face. I was taken to the ER and placed in a hospital for four days. I totally lost control of all functions (I couldn't even lift my arms). Six days later, I'm back at home, but I'm still wobbly on my feet.

Comment from: Kitten, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Chemo treatment left me dehydrated and I can't seem to fix this problem.

Comment from: elie, 75 or over Female Published: May 24

I was diagnosed with dehydration after I got had a bladder infection and kidney pain.

Comment from: Aggie, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 18

Dizziness and nausea along with blurred vision were the symptoms of my dehydration.

Comment from: Jessijewellsmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 03

My petite teen had only been vomiting for about 5 hours, keeping nothing down. I was pushing fluids, but nothing was staying down, really. She suddenly began to complain of shortness of breath and a racing heart. Luckily, I listened to my "mommy senses" and took her to the Urgent Care. They were not able to find a vein for her IV and she had to go to the ER where they were successful in treating her and she was back to her old self in no time. Thank goodness it all worked out. This is dangerous stuff, even for an otherwise healthy 13 year old.

• Dehydration (Adults) - Causes and Treatment

What was the cause of your dehydration and how was it treated?

Post View 9 Comments
  • Dehydration - Prevention

What steps do you take to prevent dehydration?

Post

Medically reviewed by Avrom Simon, MD; Board Certified Preventative Medicine with Subspecialty in Occupational Medicine

Hunter, Janis. "Fluid Needs." Clemson University. 2011.
"Dehydration." Medscape. Updated Dec. 31, 2015.
"Dietary Guidelines for Americans." U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dec. 2010.