Viewer Comments: Dengue Fever - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dengue Fever:

Dengue Fever - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms of your dengue fever? Did you experience a rash?

Comment from: A, (Patient) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) many years ago. But the gastroenterologist told me that as severe as my symptoms have been, this was not IBS. He did a colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy and found polyps (removed them) and microscopic colitis. While in Delhi, India I became sick with DHF (dengue hemorrhagic fever). I began to have intense pain, especially behind my eyes, and then a fever of about 105 F. I then lost consciousness and went to the hospital. My fever of 105 F lasted for 7 days with intense pain, loss of appetite, red and itchy palms and feet, nausea, and bleeding of the gums. I was given an IV with fluids and paracetamol for 8 days. I could barely lift my own head, and do not have much memory of the first 2 days in the hospital. I had an extremely faint pulse and low blood pressure. Normal platelet count is anywhere between 150,000 and 450,000; I had a platelet count of close to 10,000. My family and the doctors began to speak about a blood transfusion, yet the doctors tried to hold off as long as possible because all my family wanted to do was return to the United States. My liver was enlarged and liver functions were extremely high. After 8 days of hospital care in Delhi, I was discharged and ready to fly back to the US. Recovery time totaled about 6 to 8 weeks in order to regain strength and for normal LFTs (liver function tests).

Comment from: Me, (Patient) Published: September 04

I got dengue fever in Thailand in December 2010. It was the most ill I've ever felt in my life. I had constant headaches, and severe flu-like symptoms, but the worst thing was the excruciating pain in my legs, knees, and back. When I tried to stand up, it felt as if someone was stabbing a knife into my knees. I couldn't lie on my back as the pain along my lower spine was so intense. I didn't sleep or eat for nearly a week. I had no energy whatsoever. After about a week to 10 days, I started slowly feeling better, but the knee pain still lingered several weeks afterward.

Comment from: Cat, Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I live in Barbados and two weeks ago, I contracted dengue. Out of the blue one night, I started a high fever, started shaking and had back pain and pain behind my legs. This went on for hours until I finally fell off to sleep after taking Panadol. The next day, I seemed fine but then the day after that, I started to get extreme body pain. I mean excruciating pain, particularly in my upper back and under my ribcage area. I could not sit, stand, or lie down the pain was so bad. I've never had pain like that in my life, and I delivered two children. The only way to deal with the pain was with Panadol extra strength. Now, two weeks later, all of that has gone, but now I'm just so exhausted. I try to get up and do a few things around the house but within one hour, I'm crawling back into bed, and I mean crawling. I know they say it can take up to six weeks before you start to feel better, and then there are others who say they're still exhausted after many, many months. I can deal with exhaustion, and I'm trying to build up my body with nutritious food and drink, but that pain I never want to experience again.

Comment from: perromar3, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I developed fever in the evening followed by chills. The next morning, I had severe pain in both hip joints that felt like bone on bone contact. It was difficult to walk with the pain. I also had pain across the lower back and extreme fatigue.

Must Read Articles Related to Dengue Fever

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of learn more >>
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Complete Blood Count (CBC) Complete blood count (CBC) is one of the most common blood tests. The complete blood count test provides valuable information about the quantity of the differen...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dengue Fever:

Dengue Fever - Prevention

What dengue fever prevention steps did you take?

Dengue Fever - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dengue fever?

Dengue Fever - Diagnosis

How was your dengue fever diagnosed?