Dental Abscess

What were symptoms and signs of your dental abscess? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Raven, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have been on antibiotics since January 22nd of 2020 and last week my face swelled up so badly from the dental abscess, I got sick. The antibiotics I took this time took my infection away but now it’s starting to bother me again.

Comment from: Jess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

There is a red lump from a dental abscess over the socket where I had wisdom tooth extracted. The left side of my neck and gland are swollen.

Comment from: Rick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had an infected tooth pulled, and had 4 different courses of antibiotics of different kinds for my m=dental abscess. I went to the dentist several times and had 3 x-rays. I had pain in my jawbone from chin to the rear of my jaw when pressure was applied, a swelled lump near the gland, half of my lip burning and numb. The socket seemed to heal fine. I had a CBCT scan after 38 days of antibiotics and 1 1/2 months. Scan showed osteomyelitis. My jaw is ready to break and maybe it is cancer. Wish me luck!

Comment from: L111999, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had my abscess in my tooth and gum. Went untreated for two months and I couldn't eat or sleep for 2 weeks when it finally got bad. I went to the emergency room and was triaged to the back and started on antibiotics immediately. I had a 9 mm dental abscess and had to finish 10 days of antibiotics before I could get it lanced and drained, a root canal and an implant placed. Still on antibiotics for 4 more days, and I get a nice permanent tooth at 20 years old. If you feel something off go in!

Comment from: Fitz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

My dentist found an abscessed tooth, put me on antibiotics, and we scheduled an appointment to extract it. After 5 days on antibiotics I began to experience dizziness and now can barely walk around. Wondering if this is from the dental abscess. I go in tomorrow to have it pulled.

Comment from: Clara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had a root canal treatment, and after that they left it hollow. They took an x-ray and noticed it was fractured. I've not been back to get it fixed as the root canal treatment left me scared and has left my jaw with a big lump and it is swollen. Worried that the root might have broken inside my gum and caused a dental abscess.

Comment from: Babygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have this huge quarter size dental abscess on the roof of my mouth. I’m on 450 mg of clindamycin and it won’t go down. I’m so scared it will spread. No fever, only a little ear and jaw pain. I am looking for tips to help drain it. They said it’s a hot tooth so they won’t be able to numb it before lancing it, so they won’t cut it open.

Comment from: JoAnn, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 28

I have a dental abscess, and I have no pain, a slight tenderness to touch the jaw. Wondering if I can heal the abscess with Listerine and hydrogen peroxide; or if I will have to pull my tooth without the other teeth getting affected, as soon as possible.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I’ve been on a 7 day antibiotic treatment for a dental abscess and the swelling on my face went down. Now that I’m done with the antibiotics my face is starting to swell again.

Comment from: Bhaddbarbie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I feel a lump on my gum. I have had this dental abscess for two weeks now. I don’t have the money to get it fixed because I just had a root canal done on a cracked tooth. I’m scared. I have no pain or symptoms but just knowing this is dangerous is very scary. I hope I can hold off till next month.

Comment from: Marilu, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I have never been as miserable or in as much pain. I had a crack in the tooth that the dentist did not see and I was sent to have a root canal. Before I got to the root canal things went downhill fast. My face started swelling from the dental abscess, extreme pain started so bad I could not sleep. The antibiotic that I was first put on did not work. I was switched to clindamycin, which by the time I was on it, my face was so swollen it was pushing my lips to the other side. I have taken it for 2 days and a little better.

SLIDESHOW

Mouth Problems: TMJ, Canker Sores, Painful Gums and More See Slideshow
Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

My boyfriend went to the hospital on Saturday. They diagnosed him with periodontal disease and from there they put him on antibiotics. The pain medicine in antibiotics is not doing any good so yesterday he went and had a scan done at a dentist’s office and the dentist wants to do a root canal. They say that he has a dental abscess so the antibiotics that they put him on, on the 24th, the dentist said are not doing any good, so they put them on another prescription for controlling the infection.

Comment from: desireestoorh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

First it started off as a tooth ache. The next day I woke up with my left side cheek and jaw swollen from the dental abscess! I have been on medicines but have no insurance to go to the dentist, I am only on painkillers to stop pain but it’s been over 2 days and my face still looks the same. When will this go away!

Comment from: Stephy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had developed a dental abscess due to ignoring a minor tooth ache. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days with a major bacterial infection and facial cellulitis. It's been 3 weeks since the abscess was drained and the tooth pulled, and I still feel flu like weakness. Don't miss the warning signs.

Comment from: Monica, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was waiting for my insurance to approve a root canal on a molar, but they were taking forever. My dentist tried to shore it up while we were waiting for the ok. About 2 weeks later, I woke up with the worst pain ever! I can handle a lot, but I was crying like a baby. This was on a Sunday, so nothing was open. My ear was hurting also so I thought I might have a severe earache. I went to the Urgent Care and they said it was a dental abscess and gave me drugs - pain medicine. Do not ignore this. I have to wait 2 weeks for the tooth extraction.

Comment from: Phph, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Three months ago, I had a cracked tooth. There was no pain so I ignored it but pain is starting these last few weeks. My dentist prescribed me to take amoxicillin for 7 days but pain is still there on the 4th day and only worsens so I went back and told my dentist and she asked me to switch to cephalexin. The pain from the dental abscess went away but there’s now pain on my neck and pressure on my ear and the gums have become swollen. The pain is tolerable but I am still afraid because the infection may spread.

Comment from: miserableinms, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I just got diagnosed on Saturday October 12 with ringworm and the doctor gave me a prescription for an ointment. I have about 6 to 8 lesions, and very small. But every day I get new ones. When will new lesions stop! Also I have difficulty putting medicine on it on my back as I can't reach it. And how to work with this! I can wear long sleeves but it's on my hands and wrists too. And if it's on your hands and you go to the bathroom or take a shower, I am worried it will spread. The doctor didn't think too much of it.

Comment from: Helpmytoothpain, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a root canal and crown placed 5 years ago and out of nowhere my tooth got infected and caused a great amount of pain. I saw a dentist for my dental abscess who said I had an infection under the roots and it was caused by a cracked tooth under the crown, which meant I needed it extracted and an implant placed. He gave me antibiotics and pain medicines but 3 days later it’s a weekend and my face and gums are so swollen it looks like I’m holding a baseball in my cheek. Wonder if I should wait till tomorrow and call the dentist again.

Comment from: Sabrinea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a cavity on the upper left side. I think there was decay left when the crown was put on because within the year it turned into a dental abscess. The abscessed tooth was pulled. I was on antibiotics but I still have that salty taste in my mouth after almost 2 weeks. I wonder if this is normal.

Comment from: Toothless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I went to the dentist with a dental abscess, as an emergency walk-in. They did see me and the doctor put me on antibiotics 3 times a day for 10 days. I was scheduled for a 2nd visit just for impressions, they didn't pull the bad tooth. I finished my antibiotics. I've only been able to chew food on my left side, but it has now begun to be sore and there is swelling in my gums. My 3rd visit is scheduled for October 1st and it's for a wax fitting for dentures. I can’t understand why they are making me wait, I'll end up with another abscess again.

QUESTION

What causes tooth decay? See Answer
Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

About 20 years ago my husband was hit in the mouth with a baseball bat he never saw coming. All the jaw wiring and taking care only years later to discover 1 of the 2 pins holding his jaw on had worked their way out and the roots of his eye tooth are acting up like a tooth ache causing swelling on one side of his face. Overnight his face has continued to swell from the dental abscess and he's getting a black eye. I don’t know what to do, I'm at a loss.

Comment from: Surfermike00, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had a tooth infection for a few days. In pain, after starting antibiotics that I know I'm not allergic to (amoxicillin), my cheek swelled up so much it's even on the side of my nose. My lips are swollen, and the entire side of my face looks like I'm holding an apple. This happened 18 hours after starting antibiotics. On day 3, it is getting worse. I have no pain but massive swelling in face and lips.

Comment from: Kjlai, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had an infected dental abscess, and I was on antibiotics. Pus was coming out of the extraction site, I could literally push on my cheek and it’ll come out! It was gross, and smelled so bad I immediately called the dentist. They brought me in the next day and my cheek was so inflamed I looked like I had a jawbreaker in my left cheek. The dentist took a look, numbed me up, cut open a part of my gum and squeezed out the pus. It hurt badly even with the numbing medication but two days later I felt so much better and relieved.

Comment from: Joshua, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a dental abscess that had my face swollen and it ruptured. Now it is no longer painful but the area of my face is still swollen and getting hard, and I can barely open my mouth. It also has fluid building up under my chin.

Comment from: Brad, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had a crack in my tooth which caused an abscess at the tip of my root. I was put on amoxicillin for 7 days. I was in agony and nothing would take the pain away. I then went to get my tooth extracted at an emergency appointment and the abscess was still there when they pulled it. This led to an infection in the socket (making me quite ill for a couple of days after). I went back to the dentist and was put on another 7 days of amoxicillin. I'm still in agony with it.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have an infected tooth. I got amoxicillin/clavulanate 875 and this is my 2nd day taking them. This morning I woke up to my face swollen, my neck hurts, and I'm in worse pain then before. I wonder if this is normal with a dental abscess.

Comment from: Stonecoldmac , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a dental abscess on the back molar. I was prescribed 500 mg amoxicillin 4 per day for 10 days. It improved but didn’t go away. Four days after the last amoxicillin I’m at the Urgent Care. Physician’s assistant prescribed Augmentin 2 per day for 7 days. I’m 2 days from being done and I’m still in pain. I am getting worried now that it’s more than just tooth issue. Ugh. Wonder if anyone else has any similar incident and if so, the outcome.

Comment from: MeowMeow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I noticed signs of swelling on the side of my jaw area where my dental abscess is located, and that same evening had major toothache. Dental practice issued 5 days of antibiotics on day 3 and still no signs of the swelling going down.

Comment from: Shirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

My gums had been irritated after I went to a barbeque. Two days later I woke up to a swollen jaw. I was in so much pain I went to the emergency room and found out I had a dental abscess. They didn’t drain it. I received antibiotics and pain medicines. I feel much better after 3 days on antibiotics but it is still swollen. Im going out of town In 6 days, hopefully by then it will be over.

Comment from: Helen , 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 02

My tooth number 11 is abscessed and there is swelling in the area near my eye with a big knot, black eye and it is red. I am taking clindamycin 150, have a low grade temperature and now throwing up.

Comment from: Bullheaded, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Two years ago, I had a filling placed in my upper molars on both sides. My dentist told me, I would need root canals soon and gave me reference to the endodontist. I waited because at the time, I had no insurance. Well, I never should have put that off because two years later I woke with my whole mouth achy. I went about my day and it only got worse. The next day, I was in so much pain from the dental abscess, and no dentists were open so I ended up in an emergency clinic that was the only one open!

Comment from: Tom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had red swollen gums and the dental abscess started to turn green and white in some spots. It is along the entire left top gum.

Comment from: wtf do I do? , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My failed top root canal started a dental abscess and started to hurt super badly, and I started antibiotics. Usually it starts working right away but the next day it started swelling and I had worse pain. Yesterday, after 4 days of swelling/pain was really bad but the dentist said I hadn't given the antibiotics enough time. My doctor sent me 2 the emergency room (ER) and I was given 4 IV antibiotics the same night. Pain isn't as bad a couple hours after taking the medicines, but comes back couple hours later. Swelling is even worse, pushing my left sinus and eye shut, down to my neck. The dentist and the ER doctor don't care.

Comment from: Debbie I, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have a half broken, half rotten tooth in the back (molar) and the one next to it is also half broken and turning a different color. I knew for many months that these teeth were bad. But they didn't hurt. All of a sudden 5 days ago my tooth started to severely hurt, and I can't chew. I close my mouth without those two teeth touching the top teeth and they are throbbing. They hurt so bad sometimes I get pressure in my head. It scares me. Inside around the tooth it's very red, I believe it is definitely a dental abscess.

Comment from: Lucy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had a pea sized boil on the gum over the center of the area where an upper four tooth bridge was located. X-rays showed an abscessed tooth under one of the teeth with a post in it. I took antibiotics for the dental abscess for 7 days. Now, a year plus later, gum boil covers three of the bridge teeth. I am 96 with diabetes 2, and with risk of further infection due to non-healing possibility, surgery is iffy. Don't know what to do. Leaving it there is risky too. No pain yet.

Comment from: Lindsay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been on antibiotics for 5 days now for a dental abscess. I can’t bear this pain, it is unreal. I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: Toothproblems, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have had a throbbing jaw right up to my ear and swelling on the left side underneath my eye and across cheek and jaw for 3.5 weeks from my dental abscess, as dentist won’t do anything. I have a severe headache can’t be relieved with painkillers. I wonder if abscesses under root fillings can be seen on x-ray.

Comment from: Jjohnson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I'm on my 6th day of 2 different antibiotics plus the pain medicines for my dental abscess and nothing has changed. My cheek looks like I'm storing a golf ball. My life is awful right now.

Comment from: Sarah brown , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have an infection in my tooth. I was given a five day course of antibiotics. I’m on the third day of medication and I’m still in so much pain from the dental abscess.

Comment from: Harry , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I recently had an abscessed tooth. After going to the emergency room to have the infection lanced and drained I had the tooth pulled. I've been on 3 rounds of antibiotics (penicillin, clindamycin, and metronidazole) and after 4 weeks I still have a swollen jaw.

Comment from: Kdement, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have been on amoxicillin for 5 days now to treat my dental abscess. I still have pain and swelling in my jaw area and I can hardly swallow.

Comment from: Lucifer-morningstar , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

My jaw is swollen all under the left side, and I know it's a dental abscess. I've had one before, with the same tooth as the problem but didn't have the money to sort it out. Lucky that I do now, but I have no real pain in the tooth besides a slight pain in the gum. But my jaw hurts more than it did last time. I can't go to the dentist yet, as although I'm going to get the money needed I still need to be paid it, I have 2 more days.

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I had two abscessed teeth and this caused my cheek to swell up and I was in a lot of pain. I had a massive gum boil and it took several trips to the dentist to sort this out. Get to your dentist as possible to avoid awful pain.

Comment from: Fenceman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My right eye tooth broke at the gum while eating pizza. Now about 2 weeks later there is a dental abscess at the root. It is Saturday morning and no dentist is open. It's a lot of pain and I don’t know how to get it out.

Comment from: Trentspo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I had no symptoms of dental abscess. In 2015 I had a filling. In June 2018 I told my dentist I had a knot in the gum, but the tooth didn’t hurt. I’ve been on antibiotics 2 months, 3 cycles, it still hasn’t dried up. He tried an extraction this morning, but I had too much pain, for the first time, when he tried numbing it. Now I’m to go to an oral surgeon to be put to sleep, plus bone graft and sinus lift to prep for implant. I guess I’m lucky, I’ve had no pain whatsoever.

Comment from: Joceldust , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had throbbing, unrelenting pain all through the surrounding gum line from the dental abscess and a bad taste in my mouth at times. I let it go too long and it spread to my face tissue and so I was also diagnosed with cellulitis two times. My whole face was swollen. I was on antibiotics multiple times for it till I could have the tooth extracted. At the end of the pills it would come to a head and drain. Eventually I had put it off for too long and the antibiotics wouldn't work at all anymore. I had to have an emergency extraction.

Comment from: infectrd root canal, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 07

I have swelling on my lower left jaw. It hurt when I ate, now I am on antibiotics for dental abscess. The swelling has gone and I can eat but I keep getting, not a headache but pain on the left side at the back base of my neck.

Comment from: Buddha, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I've had like a tiny yellow dot in my mouth now forever. Now the whole bottom of my mouth where this dental abscess is, is completely swollen and pounding.

Comment from: Margaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

My symptoms of dental abscess were oral lesions, drainage, loose teeth, and pain in my mouth, and jaw.

Comment from: Mama lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

It started as a toothache on left side cheek. I have had pains, ear aches, and glands hurt. I am even starting to get canker sores. I went to my dentist and took x-rays. He said I need root canal because of the dental abscess. Well, I went in yesterday and said I am still in pain but he seems to think the antibiotics should be working. He did file a couple of teeth down which felt better, but today my face is swollen and it hurts inside of cheek and outside. So I should be having a root canal done in two days, with the swelling I have been on medicines for a week, and now even Advil is not helping much.

Comment from: aunt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had a terrible rash on my arms and legs, big blisters that my doctor couldn't diagnose. I went to a dermatologist who suggested that I go to a dentist. It seems that often an abscessed tooth can cause a blood infection that results in a rash. The dentist had never heard of this, but took an x-ray for me (I'd had no pain), and sure enough, I had a big abscess. Three or four years later, I still have unsightly scars from the rash on my legs.

Comment from: Michelle , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a dental abscess appear on the morning I woke up. I went to the dentist, he took out the problem tooth, and put me on antibiotics. Everything seems to be going down fine, I still have a little swelling in my gum but keep getting earache. I wonder if this means another abscess is building somewhere else.

Comment from: Joseph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

This is the second time I got an abscess. I noticed that when my upper teeth hurt slightly, soon after a small ball develops on the roof of my mouth. After some days with rinsing of oral wash it bursts and pus comes out with some blood.

Comment from: Shay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

Ten years ago I got a tooth pulled and every now and then a Rollie Ball comes inside my cheek, right by my jaw. You can’t see it, just feel it. It will stay for about 3 to 7 days and go away. And if I don’t take care of my teeth properly it will come (which I try my best to). Sometimes it hurts but most of the time it doesn’t. You can just feel it there. I was wondering if it is a dental abscess.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I just had a half of a root canal done because of a dental abscess. The tooth is infected. The dentist did a half root canal, and then put in a temporary crown. I woke up the next morning and the side of my face is really swollen.

Comment from: B, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a dental abscess infection. I've been taking antibiotics for 6 days. I had the tooth and abscess extracted 3 days ago. I don’t know why my face is still sore and swollen. I wonder if this is normal.

Comment from: raymart, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 26

My cheek is still swollen from the dental abscess after 7 days of medicines.

Comment from: Ncm , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I’ve got a dental abscess and have been given amoxicillin for 5 days. I’ve completed day 1 but my swelling is getting bigger. I’ve been taking ibuprofen for it too. I’m not sure what to do.

Comment from: Tola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I did a root canal 6 years ago, after which I crowned my tooth but now my gum is swollen. I am worried if I have a dental abscess which is causing the swollen gum and a little ache.

Comment from: Cally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I bit on something hard and it split my tooth, earlier it was just a crack. I developed major swelling of the cheek and jaw on that side. After 2 days I had the tooth removed and have little pain, just persistent swollen jaw. When will it go away!

Comment from: Sinone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

Wondering if I am having a dental abscess. I came up with swollen glands about a week ago which to my knowledge I thought could have possibly been my thyroids. However I then noticed tonight my gum was swollen on the back on my right upper mouth by my wisdom tooth. My face is going red and I have been having tingling in my face but my face isn’t swollen at all.

Comment from: I am in pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had sudden swelling overnight, to the size of my mouth, just after my wisdom tooth extraction. I had the swelling from dental abscess again 1 week after the procedure.

Comment from: A.C., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My left jaw has been swollen with a dental abscess since last Friday, it is now Wednesday. I started on my antibiotics Sunday evening and I have to take them for 7 days. Hope my face swelling goes down within the seventh day.

Comment from: NanaKaki, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have a gum infection. My face on that side is slightly swollen and sore. There is no pus pockets anywhere. I hurt all the way up to my eye socket. I live on an island and the lake is not frozen enough for me to go the main land. I have been dealing with the pain for over a week now.

Comment from: Meriba, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Thanks for allowing me to express myself. I have this serious toothache and swollen jaw, it has taken me a year and after every month it appears. Recently, I decide to remove T3 tooth hoping for my lower jaw to stop swelling and paining but it is still the same. My doctor can't manage my situation I don’t know how I can get off this chronic monthly pains.

Comment from: Sweetbrownsugar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I woke up one morning to find my jaw swollen up like a golf ball. I kept a close watch on it several days. with no change I went to urgent care was told it was a swelling in my soft tissue prior to this I had a very bad cold my glands were swollen as well. Was given antibiotics. And since I had no pain not to worry in less a dramatic change. So off I went again swelling went down still a knot in my jaw, no pain. I return this time was told stronger antibiotic. Return again was told that abscess is soft mine is hard. Referred to a hospital to have a cat scan to make sure it was not a tumor or something. Was told again it was a Harding in the soft tissue of my jaw should go away on its own not to worry. For some reason I didn't settle with this I had a feeling it was my tooth by this time the swelling went down looks like a boil on the outside of my cheek that is now draining puss with a foul odor not once have I had any pain. Two weeks later I arrive at my dentist appointment. After x-rays was told I had an abscess on my tooth the infection has traveled away from my tooth and stored in my jaw nothing they can do. Referred me to a specialist in the San Francisco an hour away from home. So I thought the specialist ends up being a dentistry school I can’t believe it. This is still ongoing now I have a dent in my cheek it appears from the infection eating at my tissue.

Comment from: emma - worried mum, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

My seven year old daughter has just come out of hospital after 6 days! Due to an abscess! No complaints about her teeth were made by her recently! She woke up on the Monday with a slightly swollen cheek, took her to the doctors got told it was a viral infection! The next day her eye was also swollen slightly took her back to the doctors and told the same as before! By Wednesday morning her whole right side was swollen and her eye completely shut, took her to er and they found the abscess and rushed her down for surgery! Three days later she had another drainage op done as more build up in her face as there was so much! Parents beware how quick things develop in a child!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

This started 4 months ago. The inside of my tooth literally fell out so I went to a dentist and they filled it in. Then the pain really started. I usually have a very high tolerance for pain but I couldn't stand this. I called the same dentist, he gave me antibiotic and I went back to see him again. This time he shaved off the tooth where it was rubbing the top one. That did not help either. My cheek is now three times its normal size and I have a dental appt. with another dentist to get my abscessed tooth pulled. I have been to this other dentist but they wouldn't do anything w/o taking x-rays of my teeth because I’d never been there before. So I have to wait another 2 weeks before I’m finally, finally able to get this tooth pulled. They told me my options were to spend a lot of money for a root canal or not so much money to get it pulled. I’m done with this pain it's gonna be out of there but I still have to wait about 2 weeks.

Comment from: Xavier, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I had 5 teeth removed but one had a dental abscess that I didn't know about. So the dentist put some kind of brownish stuff inside that tastes like cloves but some of it came out after an hour. Not sure if that is normal.

Comment from: P1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

On day six of antibiotics and still no change to my abscess on my face. It was caused from ruptured cyst under skin.

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have infection on my gum 5 weeks after getting my tooth out because of dental abscess. The antibiotics are not working.

Comment from: .susan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I had a dental abscess for 2 weeks and had 2 lots of antibiotics following a root canal. They have left a broken file in the root.

Comment from: Taurean , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I am trying to get rid of a dental abscess I’ve had over 10 years. I am desperate at this point.

Comment from: Mbalenhle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I just had a tooth removed because it caused an abscess above it. The tooth removed had a filling. The dentist only extracted the tooth but didn't drain the abscess, I hope it will drain itself.

Comment from: Gary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

My eye is swollen nearly closed, I've had a dental abscess which is still there; perhaps I should go to the hospital.

Comment from: Emmi J, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My 5 year old granddaughter needs an abscessed tooth pulled so her pediatrician dentist gave her an antibiotic to take before it’s to be pulled. Now the child has broken out on her face and back with a red rash like measles spots. I wonder if she could be allergic to the medicine.

Comment from: Bella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My abscess started with pain generally in my mouth and an ulcer on my the inside of my bottom lip. The doctor said I had oral thrush and gave me medication. The next day I had a massive toothache and went to the dentist to find I had an abscess. He prescribed anti-biotics and Penicillin. For three days I was crying in extreme pain but after that it started to settle. I am still to have some treatment on my tooth but the dentist said he cannot do anything until the abscess heals as the injection for numbness of the area before dental surgery will not work with an inflamed abscess.

Comment from: bopeanut, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My symptoms started about a week ago with sensitivity to hot and cold on the right side (upper and lower) of my mouth. I bought Sensodyne and figured the sensitive toothpaste would work. After a few days of struggling with the sensitivity, pain started kicking in on the upper tooth that had a crown put on it about six months prior. I went to the dentist on the fourth day which, unfortunately, was a day or two late to avoid the infection getting so bad I could not sleep. After two days of intense pain, the antibiotics seem to be kicking in. I plan on having the root canal done next week. The good news is that I will know for next time what this feels like. DON'T ignore the early signs and suffer like I have.

Comment from: dkr, 25-34 (Patient) Published: June 24

I had two broken teeth at the back of my mouth. I kept treating myself with painkillers. One day I woke up with a swollen face. I went to the dentist who said I had an abscess that had started with the root of the broken tooth. He took out both teeth and drained the abscess and then sent me away with antibiotics.

Comment from: kellie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had toothache for a week now finally went to the dentist yesterday because my face was starting to swell up. I have an abscess in my tooth and had a root canal done. I woke up this morning and my face is even more swollen and my eye is nearly closing.

Comment from: Merlynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

First I had the feeling that something was in my ears. I had a bad salty taste in my mouth. Then I developed an earache. My tooth felt tender with some pain once in a while. I went to my dentist and had X-rays done and found that I needed a root canal. I never knew that a bad salty taste in your mouth was a symptom of a dental abscess or I would have sought dental care sooner.

Comment from: lizzy, Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Last Friday that I had toothache that made me unbearable, so went to see the dentist in an emergency. I had an X-Ray and found out that one of the teeth under the gold crown had abscessed. The dentist prescribed me some antibiotics. I found myself with a swollen jaw and unable to sleep. Then, yesterday I went back to the dentist and had the gold crown removed and let the abscess drain. I have to go back to the dentist in two weeks’ time to check the progress. Last night I finally had a good night of sleep.

Comment from: RobinW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had on and off sensitivity to cold for about a year then a full blown painful toothache. The tooth affected was a virgin tooth. now I am having same symptoms on same tooth on the opposite side.

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had a LOT ($100,000) of dental work over 40 years due to an immune disease. For two years I had a bump in my mouth above an upper tooth on the right. After asking several dentists of one type or another to check it out, and one finally did and discovered it was an abscess. My symptoms starting 10 months before and included extreme naps for 3-5 hours every day! I had continuous nose bleeds and mucus, a sinus infection, and sweating. I had no oral pain for 23 of the 24 months I had the abscess - until it finally was getting a little tender. The good news once it was opened up, I am well and back on track. Thank you to the doctor who helped me.

Comment from: Lollie, 55-64 Female Published: June 08

I had severe pain and swelling of my lower jaw.

Comment from: pris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have had this abscess for long time. Now it’s located on my jaw due to a cavity infection. Dental care is so expensive, but I’m so scared because I have no way out. I just don’t want it to escalate to anything else. I have no pain, but I worry when I feel the ball. I’m also embarrassed to go to a dentist due to the foul smell they say when you have with an abscess.

Comment from: firstjack, (Patient) Published: January 23

Two weeks before Christmas I bit down on a piece of food and the pain lifted me out of my chair. I ignored it, do not have dental insurance and money was tight. Now the second week of Jan I could barely eat. It was one of my premolars that was giving me the pain and the pain was spreading up to my sinus and back towards my ear. My dentist, when I could get in, tapped my tooth, I almost punched him. Then he took a x-ray. It was abscessed and because to lack of good tooth we decided I should have it taken out. On antibiotics and pain meds and it is getting worse.

Comment from: Mia, Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a toothache on a lower tooth that had been broken off previously due to biting down on a piece of hard candy. The tooth later became infected and the gums around the tooth swelled about three times the normal size, pus collected near the tooth, and the pain was severe. I treated it at home with ibuprofen and warm water rinses but this did nothing to relieve the pain or to make the infection go away. After three days, I was physically ill with fevers, cold chills, vomiting, extremely tired, and constantly feeling sick to my stomach. After visiting the dentist, he prescribed an antibiotic and pain pills, but it was several days before the fevers, chills, and vomiting went away.

Comment from: ish, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a crown placed on a front tooth about a year ago. It felt weird within a month of that, there was an awkward pressure when I touched my face above that tooth. The dentist said not to worry. Now about 2 weeks ago, I woke up with the entire front row of teeth sore. Within a day or two the pain was completely unbearable. No amount of OTC drugs relieved it. I was losing sleep and missing work, it's been some of the most intense pain I've ever experienced. I got an emergency appointment at the dentist and they gave me antibiotics and scheduled a root canal 10 days later. Even the narcotic pain relievers I was prescribed can't completely stop the pain. I believe they'll do the root canal through the crown. If that doesn't solve it completely, I'm sure extraction is the only option. Never put off those random dental pains. If your dentist tries to dismiss it, get a second opinion. You never know what may develop.

Comment from: Carrier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

For 6 weeks I've had an infection on the gum by a tooth that has a root canal. I've rinsed with hydrogen peroxide and salt water. I've had two rounds of antibiotics -large doses. It's still infected and my dentist says we'll have to pull the tooth in order for it to heal. I'm apprehensive and I think my dentist needed to see if he missed something, so he referred me to another dentist.

Comment from: Blake, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My symptoms of dental abscess included high fever, swelling of the gums, and tenderness.

Comment from: simul, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had gum abscess and the dentist decided to have my tooth extracted. It was then successfully done, but the problem is I still experience having a swollen face each time I do hard work or even just lifting weights. It's exactly the same when the tooth wasn’t extracted...I feel like the abscess has gone through the inner gum already...

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have a dental abscess and when it started there was some pain but not much. I went to the dentist after it started to swell and they gave me antibiotics and pain killers. However, two days later my face swelled up and I couldn't eat or barely talk, so I went to the ER where they gave me more pain medicine.

Comment from: nicci, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I went to the dentist 3 days ago to get my tooth pulled but after tugging and pulling at it she couldn’t get it out, so told me to make another appointment and that there won’t be much pain. But oh my GOSH, I’m in pain all right and now I have a lump coming out my gum. I can’t touch the side of my cheek as even that’s sore.

Comment from: wiser, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My face went from a slightly puffed nodule to a full blown chipmunk cheek within three days. I tried home remedy of garlic pills and Echinacea thinking it would go away. DO NOT TAKE HOME REMEDIES. Just go to the Dentist. You will need antibiotics and further assessment. After two weeks of antibiotics and it's still not completely gone, I have the option of root canal or pulled. Preventive maintenance on your teeth is worth the money (scrape it up somehow) because abscesses can literally be life threatening if untreated and a lot of unnecessary pain and discomfort. Lesson learned.

Right now I am waiting to go to the dentist at five pm. My face is swollen out like a watermelon on one side, my ear and surrounding tissue there is red and swollen, my neck is swollen. I am in complete agony. I had a bad tooth, the dentist filled it and said I would eventually need a root canal or have it pulled. Apparently eventually was only a week. I have had two different antibiotics as the first one did not work at all. I hope that she pulls it or that it bursts. SOON.

Comment from: Chicago, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Hi all - Although you should definitely get to a dentist as soon as you think you have an abscessed tooth, there is residual pain while the antibiotics take effect, so I just want to share an excellent home remedy for the pain caused by an abscess inside the mouth - if you have a local natural medicine store, provider or apothecary, get some clove oil. Soak the tip of cotton swab or a cotton ball (you don't need more than 5-6 drops if it's the good kind) and rub this gently wherever there is pain in the mouth. I have been in hell for 24 hours even with Vicodin and now I am much better. Good luck all and take care of those teeth!

Comment from: Unhappy Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a crown put on a tooth. I have been back to the dentist 4 times complaining that the crown did not fit correctly. I told him I felt it was too big. He admitted it was a bit big and he filed the crown down so it would not hit on the bottom tooth. He has adjusted it twice and finally the tooth went bad. I had to have a root canal. Three days later I was back in his office with a swollen face and neck. I told the Dentist I was sure I had an abscess. He took an x-ray and said no that I was swollen due to the work done. I told him I was fevering and didn't feel good. He said I would be fine. So Monday, I was back in with more swelling and a black eye, sick and unhappy. Again, I told him I had an abscess and could he lance it to relieve the pressure. Again he took and x-ray and said nothing shows and gave me an antibiotic. After 4 days of misery it burst and I have relief. Now, I have a tender jaw and gland in my neck. I guess I will be finding a new Dentist…One that listens!

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I had a dental abscess and I had been not feeling well for a month. Then my teeth at the front became sensitive, and I couldn't sleep. At the time I had some important work to finish and couldn't even spare time for the dentist. Because the pain was unbearable I went to the dentist and she completed a root canal treatment, and gave me strong antibiotics. The next day my face ballooned very badly. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription. He said I may have to go to casualty. I did this the next day, but apparently they don't deal with teeth. I phoned NHS Direct and they gave me lots of useful information. I return to the dentist after the weekend. I just hope it bursts.

Comment from: Shirly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a toothache for about a week and I couldn’t sleep, eat or even talk properly. The nerves were really sensitive, so I decided to go to my local dentist to check what was up with my teeth. She told me I have an abscess, which has infected my tooth and gums. She told me to have an emergency treatment to drill me teeth to let the pressure out and put some dressing on the infected teeth with an antibiotic. I feel much better and I have no pain, only my jaw is a little sore.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW