Dermatomes

Please share your experience with dermatomes. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Edit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I have had shingles for 2 months along with what my doctor called the T-10 dermatome. Now I am diagnosed with postherpetic neuralgia and taking gabapentin, ibuprofen, and lidocaine cream. To anyone reading, you do not want shingles because you don’t know how bad it can be. Get vaccinated. Oh, and you can get shingles again.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

For several weeks I have experienced numbness in the skin over the fatty tissue between my xiphoid process and umbilicus. I can also feel a line of numbness from my back around my ribs that is much narrower. The dermatome is a little lower than my bra band that goes around my chest. At first it was more on the left side but now I can feel it on the right side too. It is not painful but disturbing because this part of my body does not feel like it belongs to me. I have no skin lesions.

Comment from: Chris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

My right foot, ankle, and calf feel normal to the touch but my brain thinks my leg is ice cold. I have the extra lumbar vertebrae, fusion at L5-S1. Now MRI shows spinal stenosis at L 2 - 3 and L 3 - 4. I wonder what sensory nerves are causing this horrible ice cold feeling and which dermatomes are being pinched.

Comment from: sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I thank you, my doctor brought this up and am educating myself to know more about dermatomes. Thanks so much!

Comment from: Red, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

I am a bit confused. I have bulging discs L4/L5, and I wonder where the dermatome is for hamstring strain.

SLIDESHOW