Diabetic Ketoacidosis

Please share your experience with diabetic ketoacidosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Meowee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was 50 years old when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I had tests proving diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) yet my doctor didn't put me in hospital or on insulin. One and a half day later I was in the ICU in severe DKA with serious events including a deep vein thrombosis. I was diagnosed antibody positive for type 1, and it should not have happened. Half the people diagnosed each year in the US are over 30. It's not a juvenile disease, so please stop misinforming people. My blood glucose was 279 when I was already in DKA and 380 in the emergency room with pH of 1.2. Not super high.

Comment from: Silly Girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My insurance was to run out in December which I assumed was at the end of the month. I went to buy my insulin and was told it was going to cost USD 1300.00 without insurance. I thought, well, maybe by eating better I would be ok. I was going to on Medicare in two months. Not smart. I started having issues like dementia with confusion and then I thought I had the flu. I had to be taken to a hospital because I was throwing up phlegm and then blood. My sugar was 450 when the ambulance arrived. I spent 3 days in the hospital getting treated for diabetic ketoacidosis.

Medically reviewed by John A. Seibel, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with a subspecialty in Endocrinology & Metabolism

REFERENCE: Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.