Diarrhea

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Md.Maliyakkal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

My treatment for diarrhea is this: make strong tea in a cup. Add one spoonful of lemon juice, one pinch of salt and half spoon of sugar, and stir well. Take this drink hot. Continue this 3 times in the interval of 6 hours.

Comment from: muni, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 18

Great article! With personal experience, I would like to say, there are simple home remedies for diarrhea that can be prepared by yourself. Water boiled with coriander seeds should be given (after straining). Pomegranate juice in small quantities can be also given frequently. Sugar and salt solution. Mix one teaspoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of common salt in a cup of water. Small doses of this mixture (around a quarter cup) can be helpful.

Comment from: Michael, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

The comment of Hope regarding her bout of diarrhea and what ended it (Zantac) was extremely helpful. I'd had diarrhea for a month with no relief in sight. I'd been taking Tums anyway for mild heartburn, so that trying Zantac wasn't that much of a stretch. The diarrhea became less frequent and after three days was gone. Since this symptom has many different causes, the use of Zantac to treat it is probably only useful in a minority of cases, but it worked for me.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been struggling with diarrhea since 1995. I have visited several gastro specialists to no avail. Aside from watching my diet, I began taking 625 mg of Welchol twice a day. I now have my life back. I have regular-formed stools and no accidents before reaching a bathroom. I also take Imodium after a spell if I forgot to take a dose of the Welchol. Before Welchol, I spent most of my days in the bathroom and was always fearful of an accident when leaving home. Following a nice meal away from home was always a concern because it was almost always followed with diarrhea within 15 minutes or so. I am very, very thankful for this medicine. I hope this helps someone out there.

Comment from: liliana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

What is most important in your Diarrhea prophylaxis is to replace as soon as possible the electrolytes (minerals and salts that affect the quantity of water that can be found in your organism; they also control other important functions such as muscle activity) and the fluid that you have lost in the past days. They are vital for your organism’s well functioning. Although consuming plenty of fluids (water) is highly important in the effective prevention of the symptoms that are caused by dehydration, simple water cannot help you with your electrolyte imbalance.

Comment from: help in Maine, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My 90 year old mother lives with my sister and she has been having diarrhea every day for months. It has gotten to the point where my sister can't take her anywhere anymore. Every morning she has it and most of the day too now. My mother has really bad dementia and cannot clean herself and uses the wheelchair 95% of the time. My sister is at her wits end. Her doctors don't seem to have any solutions except to keep her hydrated, which my sister does. My mother hardly eats anything, so it always amazes us why she is even having diarrhea? Diet hasn't seemed to work, Imodium D, is not good for her and frankly doesn't touch it

Comment from: Hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 62 years old and have chronic pancreatitis. After suffering from chronic diarrhea for more than a month, my doctor prescribed Zantac. The symptoms disappeared overnight.

Comment from: blinkie4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have use dried blueberries to help stop the diarrhea.

QUESTION

Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas. See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW