Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain can range in intensity from a mild stomach ache to severe acute pain. The pain is often nonspecific and can be caused by a variety of conditions. Many organs are found within the abdominal cavity. Sometimes the pain is directly related to a specific organ such as the bladder or ovary. Usually, the pain originates in the digestive system. For example, the pain can be caused by appendicitis, diarrheal cramping, or food poisoning.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Digestive Disorders related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Digestive Disorders Related Resources
Digestive Disorders Articles
- Why Is Gluten Bad for You?
- How Do I Know If My Stomach Pain Is Serious?
- What Is Your Colon?
- Stomach Cancer vs. Stomach Ulcers
- Peptic Ulcer
- What Are the Symptoms of GERD in Adults?
- Acute Kidney Failure
- Can A Kidney Infection Go Away on Its Own?
- What Are Probiotics Good For?
- Which Foods Trigger IBS?
- What Helps Constipation Fast?
- What Are the Symptoms of Celiac Disease in Adults?
- What Triggers Diverticulitis?
Digestive Disorders Medications
- ferumoxytol (Feraheme) (Feraheme)
- glutamine (GlutaSolve, NutreStore, SYMPT-X G.I. and more)
- certolizumab (Cimzia, Cimzia Prefilled Syringe, Cimzia Starter) (Cimzia)
- lubiprostone (Amitiza) (Amitiza)
- sunitinib (Sutent) (Sutent)
- gadoxetate (Eovist) (Eovist)
- lanthanum carbonate (Fosrenol) (Fosrenol)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (ClearLax, GaviLAX, Gialax) (GlycoLax, MiraLax)
- pitcher plant
- cinacalcet (Sensipar) (Sensipar)
- mycophenolic acid (Myfortic) (Myfortic)
- nitazoxanide (Alinia) (Alinia)
- balsalazide (Colazal, Giazo) (Colazal)
- alosetron (oral) (Lotronex) (Lotronex)
Digestive Disorders Images and Slideshows
- Appendicitis: Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Appendectomy in Detail
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Hernias: Causes, Types, and Treatments
- Digestive Disorders: Visual Guide to Stomach Ulcers
- Digestive Disorders: How to Stop Gas Pain
- Pinworms: Pictures, Symptoms, Treatments, and Medication
- Digestive Disorders: What Your Poop Type and Color Mean
- Diet and Weight Loss: What’s an Elimination Diet?
- Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
- Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
- Worst Foods for Digestion
- Picture of Diverticulosis
- Picture of Appendicitis
- How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids: Types, Causes and Treatments
- Picture of Spleen
Digestive Disorders Quizzes
- Celiac Disease Quiz: What Is Celiac Disease?
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
- Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
- Crohn's Disease Quiz
- Appendicitis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
- Hemorrhoids Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ of Piles
- Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Digestive Disorders News
- Cannabis May Improve Liver Function in Patients With Obesity
- Trio Awarded Nobel Prize in Medicine for Discovering Hepatitis C Virus
- What Causes Light-Colored (Pale) Stool?
- Dialysis Should Continue Despite COVID-19; CDC Gives Guidance
- Mediterranean Diet Tied to Gut Diversity and Healthier Aging
- Most Folks on 'Gluten-Free' Diets Ingest Unintended Amounts
- Proton Pump Inhibitors Linked to Gastroenteritis
- Omega-3 and Vit D of No Benefit for Kidney Function in Diabetes
- Second Generic Zantac Recall Due to Contamination Concerns
- Chronic Diarrhea Linked to Obesity, Independently of Diet
- Generic Zantac Distribution Halted Worldwide; Contamination Concerns
- Gluten Does Not Cause GI Symptoms in Healthy People
- Does the US Unnecessarily Discard Donor Kidneys?
- Fecal Transplants May Transmit Deadly Drug-Resistant Infections, FDA Warns
- GERD Reduction Overestimated After Gastric Bypass