Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain can range in intensity from a mild stomach ache to severe acute pain. The pain is often nonspecific and can be caused by a variety of conditions. Many organs are found within the abdominal cavity. Sometimes the pain is directly related to a specific organ such as the bladder or ovary. Usually, the pain originates in the digestive system. For example, the pain can be caused by appendicitis, diarrheal cramping, or food poisoning.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Digestive Disorders related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Digestive Disorders Related Resources
Digestive Disorders Articles
- What Are Symptoms of Being Lactose Intolerant?
- What Foods Help Stop Diarrhea?
- Crohn's Disease in Children and Teens
- What Are the Top Three Probiotics?
- When Should I See the Doctor for Blood in Stool?
- Is Bright Red Blood in Stool Serious?
- Is Blood in Stool an Emergency?
- Ciguatera Fish Poisoning (Ciguatera Toxin)
- Clupeotoxin Poisoning
- Cirrhosis of the Liver
- Dysphagia (Difficulty Swallowing)
- How Do You Get Crohn's Disease?
- Diverticulitis vs. IBS
- Diverticulitis vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
- Kidney Stones
Digestive Disorders Medications
- ferumoxytol (Feraheme) (Feraheme)
- glutamine (GlutaSolve, NutreStore, SYMPT-X G.I. and more)
- certolizumab (Cimzia, Cimzia Prefilled Syringe, Cimzia Starter) (Cimzia)
- lubiprostone (Amitiza) (Amitiza)
- sunitinib (Sutent) (Sutent)
- gadoxetate (Eovist) (Eovist)
- lanthanum carbonate (Fosrenol) (Fosrenol)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (ClearLax, GaviLAX, Gialax) (GlycoLax, MiraLax)
- pitcher plant
- cinacalcet (Sensipar) (Sensipar)
- mycophenolic acid (Myfortic) (Myfortic)
- nitazoxanide (Alinia, Nitazoxanide) (Alinia)
- balsalazide (Colazal, Giazo) (Colazal)
- alosetron (oral) (Lotronex) (Lotronex)
Digestive Disorders Images and Slideshows
- Diet and Nutrition: Foods to Help You Ease Bloating
- Food and Health: Foods Most Likely to Give You Food Poisoning
- Lactose Intolerant? How to Get Calcium and Vitamin D
- Digestive Disorders: What You Should Know About Tapeworms
- Digestive Disorders: Why Do I Have Blood in My Stool?
- Kidney Stones: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
- Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
- Diet and Nutrition: Foods With More Protein Than an Egg
- Digestive Disorders: Symptoms of Liver Problems
- Supplement Smarts: Best Ways to Take Different Vitamins
- Diet and Nutrition: Breakfast Mistakes You're Making
- Diet and Nutrition: Why Cucumbers Are Good for You
- Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
- IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
- Digestive Disorders: Surprising Reasons Why You're Gassy
Digestive Disorders Quizzes
- Celiac Disease Quiz: What Is Celiac Disease?
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
- Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
- Crohn's Disease Quiz
- Appendicitis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
- Hemorrhoids Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ of Piles
- Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Digestive Disorders News
- Can Gut Changes Predict Celiac Disease?
- Iron Therapy May Help More Patients With Kidney Disease
- Obesity Amplifies Harmful Effects of Alcohol on the Liver
- New Oral Protein Shows Promise for Ulcerative Colitis
- Diverticulitis: A New Standard of Care?
- Cannabis May Improve Liver Function in Patients With Obesity
- Trio Awarded Nobel Prize in Medicine for Discovering Hepatitis C Virus
- What Causes Light-Colored (Pale) Stool?
- Dialysis Should Continue Despite COVID-19; CDC Gives Guidance
- Mediterranean Diet Tied to Gut Diversity and Healthier Aging
- Most Folks on 'Gluten-Free' Diets Ingest Unintended Amounts
- Proton Pump Inhibitors Linked to Gastroenteritis
- Omega-3 and Vit D of No Benefit for Kidney Function in Diabetes
- Second Generic Zantac Recall Due to Contamination Concerns
- Chronic Diarrhea Linked to Obesity, Independently of Diet