Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain can range in intensity from a mild stomach ache to severe acute pain. The pain is often nonspecific and can be caused by a variety of conditions. Many organs are found within the abdominal cavity. Sometimes the pain is directly related to a specific organ such as the bladder or ovary. Usually, the pain originates in the digestive system. For example, the pain can be caused by appendicitis, diarrheal cramping, or food poisoning.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Digestive Disorders related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Digestive Disorders Related Resources
Digestive Disorders Articles
- How Do You Check for an Ulcer?
- How Long Does Indigestion Last?
- IBD vs. IBS
- Can You Become Lactose Intolerant All of a Sudden?
- How Do You Heal a Stomach Ulcer?
- What Causes Stomach Pains?
- Do Probiotics Make You Poop?
- How Do You Feel When You Have Acid Reflux?
- What Are Gallbladder Problems Caused From?
- What Foods Cause Gastritis?
- When Should I Worry About Hemorrhoids?
- How Do You Fix a Hernia Without Surgery?
- How Can You Tell If You Have Norovirus?
- How Do You Calm Down a Diverticulitis Attack?
- Why Do I Keep Getting Waves of Pain in My Stomach?
Digestive Disorders Medications
- ferumoxytol (Feraheme) (Feraheme)
- glutamine (GlutaSolve, NutreStore, SYMPT-X G.I. and more)
- certolizumab (Cimzia, Cimzia Prefilled Syringe, Cimzia Starter) (Cimzia)
- lubiprostone (Amitiza) (Amitiza)
- sunitinib (Sutent) (Sutent)
- gadoxetate (Eovist) (Eovist)
- lanthanum carbonate (Fosrenol) (Fosrenol)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (ClearLax, GaviLAX, Gialax) (GlycoLax, MiraLax)
- pitcher plant
- cinacalcet (Sensipar) (Sensipar)
- mycophenolic acid (Myfortic) (Myfortic)
- nitazoxanide (Alinia, Nitazoxanide) (Alinia)
- balsalazide (Colazal, Giazo) (Colazal)
- alosetron (oral) (Lotronex) (Lotronex)
Digestive Disorders Images and Slideshows
- Hernias: Causes, Types, and Treatments
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: The IBS Survival Kit
- Delicious, Not Dull: Tasty Diet Tips for IBD
- Nutritional Tips for Children and Teens with Ulcerative Colitis
- Celebrities With Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
- 10 Fast Acting Ways to Relieve Heartburn
- Worst Foods for Digestion
- Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
- Digestive Disorders: What to Eat (or Not) When Your Stomach Hurts
- Diet and Nutrition: Foods to Help You Ease Bloating
- Food and Health: Foods Most Likely to Give You Food Poisoning
- Lactose Intolerant? How to Get Calcium and Vitamin D
- Digestive Disorders: What You Should Know About Tapeworms
- Digestive Disorders: Why Do I Have Blood in My Stool?
- Kidney Stones: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Digestive Disorders Quizzes
- Celiac Disease Quiz: What Is Celiac Disease?
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
- Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
- Crohn's Disease Quiz
- Appendicitis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
- Hemorrhoids Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ of Piles
- Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Digestive Disorders News
- Are 'Antibiotic Diets' Good Practice?
- Weekend Catch-Up Sleep May Help Fatty Liver
- Is it IBD or Something Else? Key Characteristics Offer Clues
- Benign Adrenal Tumors Linked to Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes
- Can Gut Changes Predict Celiac Disease?
- Iron Therapy May Help More Patients With Kidney Disease
- Obesity Amplifies Harmful Effects of Alcohol on the Liver
- New Oral Protein Shows Promise for Ulcerative Colitis
- Diverticulitis: A New Standard of Care?
- Cannabis May Improve Liver Function in Patients With Obesity
- Trio Awarded Nobel Prize in Medicine for Discovering Hepatitis C Virus
- What Causes Light-Colored (Pale) Stool?
- Dialysis Should Continue Despite COVID-19; CDC Gives Guidance
- Mediterranean Diet Tied to Gut Diversity and Healthier Aging
- Most Folks on 'Gluten-Free' Diets Ingest Unintended Amounts