Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain can range in intensity from a mild stomach ache to severe acute pain. The pain is often nonspecific and can be caused by a variety of conditions. Many organs are found within the abdominal cavity. Sometimes the pain is directly related to a specific organ such as the bladder or ovary. Usually, the pain originates in the digestive system. For example, the pain can be caused by appendicitis, diarrheal cramping, or food poisoning.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Digestive Disorders related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Digestive Disorders Related Resources
Digestive Disorders Articles
- What Organ Is Right Above the Pelvic Bone?
- Why Is the Left Side of My Stomach Bloated?
- Primary Biliary Cholangitis and Cirrhosis (PBC)
- Constipation (Adults)
- Hernia FAQ
- Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)
- Do Intestines Move on Their Own?
- How Do You Know You Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)
- Stool Color Changes
- Fatty Liver
- Iron Overload (Hemochromatosis)
Digestive Disorders Medications
- ferumoxytol (Feraheme) (Feraheme)
- glutamine (GlutaSolve, NutreStore, SYMPT-X G.I. and more)
- certolizumab (Cimzia, Cimzia Prefilled Syringe, Cimzia Starter) (Cimzia)
- lubiprostone (Amitiza) (Amitiza)
- sunitinib (Sutent) (Sutent)
- gadoxetate (Eovist) (Eovist)
- lanthanum carbonate (Fosrenol) (Fosrenol)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (ClearLax, GaviLAX, Gialax) (GlycoLax, MiraLax)
- pitcher plant
- cinacalcet (Sensipar) (Sensipar)
- mycophenolic acid (Myfortic) (Myfortic)
- nitazoxanide (Alinia, Nitazoxanide) (Alinia)
- balsalazide (Colazal, Giazo) (Colazal)
- alosetron (oral) (Lotronex) (Lotronex)
Digestive Disorders Images and Slideshows
- 10 Ways to Manage Your Stress About UC
- Ulcerative Colitis Surgery -- What to Expect
- 10 Dietary Changes to Help Manage Your UC
- Hernias: Causes, Types, and Treatments
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: The IBS Survival Kit
- Delicious, Not Dull: Tasty Diet Tips for IBD
- Nutritional Tips for Children and Teens with Ulcerative Colitis
- Celebrities With Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
- Worst Foods for Digestion
- 10 Fast Acting Ways to Relieve Heartburn
- Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
- Digestive Disorders: What to Eat (or Not) When Your Stomach Hurts
- Diet and Nutrition: Foods to Help You Ease Bloating
- Food and Health: Foods Most Likely to Give You Food Poisoning
- Lactose Intolerant? How to Get Calcium and Vitamin D
Digestive Disorders Quizzes
- Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Celiac Disease Quiz: What Is Celiac Disease?
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
- Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
- Crohn's Disease Quiz
- Appendicitis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
- Hemorrhoids Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ of Piles
Digestive Disorders News
- What Causes Light-Colored (Pale) Stool?
- Is Your Poop Supposed to Float or Sink?
- How Much Does Poop Weigh in Your Body?
- Do Gallstones Go Away on Their Own?
- What Should I Avoid Eating with Gallstones?
- What Does a Gallbladder Attack Feel Like?
- What Are the Early Symptoms of Gallstones?
- Where Do You Get the Pain with Gallstones?
- Can Stress Cause Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- What Foods Should Be Avoided with Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- What Can You Eat When You Have Inflammatory Bowel Disease?
- How Do You Test for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- What Are the First Signs of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Can IBS Lead to Cancer?
- Can You Die from IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease)?