Viewer Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Experience

Please describe your experience with D&C.

Comment from: JulieNC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a D and C with hysteroscopy a week ago. I had been in what I thought was menopause starting when I was 48 in 2011, and didn't have a period for almost 2 years. In December 2014, I suddenly had a very heavy period with clots and it lasted two weeks. I called my doctor, who said it wasn't unusual to not have a period for so long and then suddenly have one, especially given the high level of stress I had been under. From that time until January 2016, I had off and on periods that were irregular, then I had no bleeding until June 6, 2016, when I had a period that just would not quit. I contacted my doctor again after I had been bleeding for about five weeks with only a day or two here and there not bleeding. She sent me to a gynecologist in their practice, and the gynecologist did an endometrial biopsy as well as a pelvic ultrasound. The biopsy did not indicate cancer, but the ultrasound showed at least one polyp. The gynecologist put me on a ten-day course of Provera to help stop the bleeding after the endometrial biopsy, and the bleeding stopped by the end of the Provera. However, two days after I stopped taking it, I had extremely heavy bleeding with clots that would not stop. She gave me another round of Provera and scheduled me for a D and C with hysteroscopy two weeks later. I had the procedure done under general anesthesia one week ago, and I'm still bleeding but not heavily. She called me to let me know I had a 3 cm polyp removed and that all of the tests indicated everything was benign. I've had a lot of cramping and bleeding. I go back to see her in a week, and I hope to be able to take oral contraceptives or HRT (hormone replacement therapy) to get the bleeding under control.

Comment from: pooja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got my D and C one month back. But I was normal after 1 hour and was discharged immediately. The doctor gave me painkiller and antibiotics for 5 days. After 5 days I am feeling lots of tiredness and pain in my whole body. I feel pain several times in my left thigh inside. I am not able to do my day to day work. I feel exhausted very soon, specifically if I have to do physical work.

Comment from: erica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had my D and C yesterday and today I don't feel very good and have high blood pressure. I don't know if I should go to the emergency room or just wait and see if it gets any better.

Must Read Articles Related to Dilation and Curettage (D&C)

Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy A hysteroscopy is a procedure performed in ...learn more >>
Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual Pain

Menstrual cramps are either classified as primary or secondary dysmenorrhea. Secondary dysmenorrhea refers to menstrual cramps caused by another medical co...learn more >>

Miscarriage
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dilation and Curettage (D&C):

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Reasons

What was the reason for your D&C?

Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to your D&C?