Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis)

The symptoms of diverticulitis (diverticulosis) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: PG, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I am now 64. I had my first diverticulitis attack when I was 51. Since then I must have had about 10 attacks and a lot of flare ups. My first attacks were sharp and very painful in the lower left part of the abdomen. When the pain is too intense and does not go away, I get medication; pro ciprofloxacin 500 mg and metronidazole 250 mg for 10 days. I must have had to take antibiotics about 6 times since 2007. I now stop eating for 1-2 days when I feel the pain, then only liquid. Night is the worst.

Comment from: Rebecca , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

It started with extreme pain high in the middle of my abdomen. Constipation started later in the day. I went to Urgent Care and was diagnosed with diverticulitis. The pain moved down in my abdomen as the flare persisted. I had some nausea. I just had colonoscopy again which revealed I have more areas of infection.

Comment from: Greg D, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Bad stomach pain, bloating, loss of appetite are my symptoms of diverticulitis. It's been two weeks and I am still not fully back to normal. Flagyl really did a number on me. No energy, and nausea.

Comment from: JAH, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

My symptom of diverticulitis was acute pinpoint tenderness in the lower left abdomen that hurt when touched. After two days of the same pain I was admitted for a CT scan to confirm diverticulitis. I was on Flagyl and Bactrim for 14 days (I can't take Cipro). It seemed to clear up well and I was eating normally. It came back about 2 weeks later. It's worse this time, with bloated or distended stomach, inability to pass gas, and little appetite for a week. I'm on Augmentin for 7 days with a colonoscopy scheduled.

Comment from: Worried , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I was diagnosed with gastritis recently, and diverticulitis a couple of years back. I have been feeling very unwell for the past few weeks but it's the latest symptoms that have me scared half to death. I have very low back pain mostly on the left side, with loose stool every day. The pain goes down both legs which feel weak and heavy, and I also have lots of rectal pain. To be honest it's so hard to function each day. Wonder if anyone else suffers these symptoms with gastritis/diverticulitis.

Comment from: Vscottbo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I think I had diverticulosis for three years with a profound loss of appetite. Then, a week ago, I went to the emergency room with severe left side pelvic pain, had a CT scan, which revealed diverticulitis. I am on antibiotics, waiting for the pain to tone down.

Comment from: Mer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in November. I've had 3 flare ups since then. This time I have had pain in my lower abdomen for about 1.5 weeks, fever, weakness, and no appetite. My doctor gave me Flagyl and Cipro each time, which worked, but my knees and elbows have been in some pain. I read and know people where Cipro has caused problems with tendons, joints and muscles. I wish someone had told me this, I've been hurting for a few months. So now I am on Flagyl and Bactrim. Not working as good.

Comment from: Wifey69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

My symptoms of diverticulitis are abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, excessive gas, loss of appetite, bloating, and fatigue. I have had 7 stomach hernias for which I had mesh repair that failed.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Seven months ago I had increasing pain in lower left abdomen. No constipation whatsoever. I went to the hospital where the doctor suspected diverticulitis and I had a CT scan which confirmed it. I had antibiotics for 10 days. Pain; lots of stupid pain. Uncomplicated diverticulitis. Now, out of nowhere without warning I have the same pain. I can’t do this again. I can’t miss work. I can’t sleep. I don’t have time to get to the doctor.

Comment from: Cowahapys, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

Blood in stool, constipation and pain are my symptoms of diverticulitis.

Comment from: snoclimber, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

On Wednesday I had to strain and finally passed a dry stool. On Thursday afternoon I had a slight twinge of pain on the lower left side of abdomen. On Friday I had slight pains that lasted for a second or two and then I felt fine. I woke up Saturday, had very slight pain, sat on the toilet and strained, and nothing happened. Within about 30 minutes the pain in my lower left side abdomen was extreme. I started a fever, had chills like I was extremely cold. Went to the emergency room and had a CT, and it showed diverticulitis with a small perforation.

QUESTION

Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas. See Answer
Comment from: Dana , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

At 44 I had severe lower left abdominal pain, lower back pain, chills, fever and no bowel movement. I went to the doctor, had a barium enema and was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I was asked if I’ve ever experienced this pain before. I had when I was around 8 to 10. It was chalked off as constipation due to not eating any vegetable as a child except for corn. I was treated with ciprofloxacin and metronidazole. Had soft diet for 2 or 3 days with gradual addition of fiber. It flares up annually.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have lower left side pain for 2 days now from diverticulitis and it hurts on the right side also. It hurts to move and I have a fever and chills.

Comment from: LinO, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I had multiple incidents of diverticulitis since 2013 that become systemic. Not only abdomen, but back, leg, testicle, weak legs that feel close to paralysis, random pins, needles and pricks over the whole body, brain and fog.

Comment from: SusieMay , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Yesterday morning I started with nausea. It subsided by lunch when I ate salad and fried chicken. Since I didn’t recognize a flare up of diverticulitis I ate a meal with cottage cheese and cooked fruit for dinner. Bedtime began with tremendous chills and pain in my groin. I took two charcoal pills and finally fell asleep. Morning the groin pain lingered with a low grade fever.

Comment from: Coloncare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I also had acute diverticulitis, it was like labor pains with bowel trouble. It was a terrible feeling and lower left abdomen pain with moving also. I went to the emergency room and CT scan showed diverticulitis. I was put on antibiotics and lost about 15 to 20 pounds because no appetite. I would wish it on no one. I’m scared to eat nuts and seeds.

Comment from: Luna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis, admitted to the hospital, was on 4 days of Flagyl and ciprofloxacin, the pain was horrible. I don't wish this on anybody! After getting out of the hospital I felt somewhat ok, but the next day I had a very bad flare up. I hope they find a cure for this. I am currently still in a lot of pain. Especially the burning sensation in my back and in my left leg are severely painful. I had 2 CAT scans also.

Comment from: Dee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 16

I started with extreme pain on the left side, and the feeling of having to have a bowel movement, with no luck. I went to the doctor the following day, and ended up going directly to the hospital, and was put on heavy medications for 3 days. I have had 2 more episodes of diverticulitis, and took antibiotics at home, which helped both times. I have always had irritable bowel syndrome, but now I feel full in the upper stomach, along with loose stools, and constipation. I also feel like my stomach is bloated at times.

Comment from: Nina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Looking back, I think my diverticulitis began several months ago; was at first a ‘full' feeling in my abdomen, almost like vaginal prolapse. Then, after exercising, I would feel a dull ache in my abdomen and just thought it was a little too much exercise. Then I had an odd distended stomach that would come and go. I also had severe constipation a week before it really flared up, but no pain or bleeding. Last stage was a much larger abdominal ache and feeling tired.

Comment from: purplerlover1234, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had abdominal pain that came off as menstrual cramps but it extended to my lower back. I had more discomfort over pain which was mostly on my left side. I had no appetite and no urge to ever use the restroom. I was also constipated. I went to the doctors and had a CT scan and found out I had diverticulitis along with perforation along my colon. This led to a small needle operation in which they cleaned the abscesses and closed the perforation.

Comment from: Ej, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have had severe lower stomach cramping, lots of gas every single day and little bowel movements. After two weeks of almost unbearable pain and my 3rd bowel movement this week, today after my bowel movement I couldn't even sit down without unbearable horrible pain. Felt like it was deep in my colon and like was going through natural child birth again. I lay on my living room floor doubled up in the fetal position and swore I was dying. I am wondering if these are diverticulitis symptoms.

SLIDESHOW

Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: Honey Badger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have a feeling of fullness and slight stinging sensation in my lower abdomen. The stinging sensation is greater in the lower left side of my abdomen, and some pain spreads around to my back. Before my diagnosis with diverticulitis yesterday, I noted that even my thighs hurt, and I learned that this can be a symptom as well. I was also diagnosed with a small hernia at the same time, but I don't know exactly where it is. I had little stabs of pain around my navel, and wonder if this is the diverticulitis or the hernia.

Comment from: Brown1108, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I first started with lower back pain which then traveled to left side pelvic area and leg to the point I couldn’t walk. Stabbing pain that wouldn’t let up. Ibuprofen and Tylenol would not work. The pain was so bad that I didn’t even feel this when I was in labor. I had to crawl or walk bent over to use the restroom. I got an ultrasound done first which said all was normal then I did a CT scan which showed diverticulosis. I am on 2 antibiotics but am on my 3rd day with only slight improvement.

Comment from: Marthaa3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was feeling very run down and tired for a few weeks before I had a severe attack of diverticulitis that sent me to the hospital. The abdominal pain was so intense. I was hunched over holding a heating pad on my abdomen. It hurt so bad I didn't even notice I was burning my skin from the heating pad. Before they gave me pain medicine I really thought I was going to pass out. I've had three children and five major abdominal surgeries. Never pain like this before.

Comment from: Bert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

My symptoms of diverticulitis started with pain on one side under the rib cage, then swelling in the same area. I saw doctor and was ordered a barium enema. I was off work 3 months, could not do a thing, and was not even allowed to pick up pencil. That was 40 years ago, and prescription was whole wheat bread and lots of fiber.

Comment from: JE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

It started with an achy feeling on my left lower side that I thought was ovary pain. A few days later the feeling traveled up my left side to just below my left breast. At this time it was a sharp pain. I developed a high fever also so I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with diverticulitis that caused a micro perforation in my intestines causing an infection. I was admitted to the hospital for 3.5 days for IV antibiotics and fluids. I now have stabbing pains before a bowel movement.

Comment from: UnBaPtIzEd, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed with extensive acute diverticulitis in April. I had extreme abdominal pain, especially up toward my left kidney (CT showed this was worst area of inflammation). Admitted to hospital, I spent 6 nights. I was discharged for 1 day and readmitted for another 3 days. It’s been 3 weeks of stomachaches and slight nausea since. Ranges from very mild to pretty uncomfortable. I lost 13 lb. and appetite is still severely affected.

Comment from: Billy , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Diverticulitis starts for me with bloated stomach every time I eat or even drink water. Then comes the constipation and then incredible pain on the left side of my abdomen. I can’t walk when this happens, that’s how severe it can be. I got diagnosed after a colonoscopy. I am on my 3rd outbreak in 3 years at present, which although I know the symptoms and got antibiotics, is by far the worst I’ve experienced. Experiencing all day stomach gurgling, never had this before. I wonder if anyone else experience this.

Comment from: Bobbi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had lower abdominal pain in the left hand side and into lower back. Other symptoms of diverticulitis were change in bowel movements, and feeling sick with chills and fever.

Comment from: Ch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had pain in the lower left side of my abdomen, worse when I took a step, for over a week. I had been experiencing constipation, gas and diarrhea for months. Finally I had CT which showed up diverticulitis. I am having another flare up now and booked for colonoscopy next week due to bleeding. I am a 56 year old female. I am nervous to be honest in case something more sinister is discovered.

Comment from: Maggiemoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am not sure what I have is diverticulitis. I have always had back pain but this is severe lower back pain and pressure in abdomen and pelvis; like menstrual cramps and I haven't had a period in 16 years. I have pains shooting down my legs, sharp and throbbing. I had diarrhea for 2 days and now just runny blood is all that comes out. Something has got to give, I can't live like this; it hurts to even walk.

Comment from: Jcab, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a 28 year old male and I was diagnosed with acute diverticulitis about 2 weeks ago. I had massive pain, I thought my insides were going to explode and I had a slight fever. I immediately went to the doctor the next day. He examined me and the left lower side of my abdomen was very tender. I started antibiotics immediately, Cipro and Flagyl. Then followed by a CT scan and blood test, and the CT scan showed I had acute diverticulitis. It's been 2 weeks, I lost 20 pounds and still have no appetite.

Comment from: Kay, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Tuesday morning I went to the bathroom, and had stomach cramps. I had to strain a few times and broke out in sweat all over my body, also felt like I was smothering, and had rapid heartbeat. I sat there for a while, and began to feel better. I started having bloody diarrhea that day twice, did not feel good, and I hardly ate. Wednesday I had bloody diarrhea twice. It was red, and did not make the water red, it was in the bottom of the toilet. I have had hemorrhoids, and have been diagnosed with diverticulitis. I am 80 years old this month.

Comment from: Angel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

It started off with chronic constipation, and then bloating. My stomach is very big now, and I have stinging pain, stabbing pains, still chronic constipation, and nausea.

Comment from: spellbrook82, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My symptoms of diverticulitis are very bad pain, colon contractions and flatulence.

Comment from: Guest, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was experiencing pressure and sharp pains in the left side of my abdomen that wouldn't go away after bowel movements, before I was diagnosed with diverticulitis.

Comment from: runner gal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My symptoms of diverticulitis started in February, I had blood in my stool with severe cramping, and pain under my right rib. As I also have celiac disease, the cramping is also a symptom of eating gluten. I went to the doctor after 2 weeks of blood. I had a mildly high white blood cell count, had a CT scan and colonoscopy, and all tests were fine and dandy. My symptoms however did not dissipate. I progressed to nausea and stomach pain every day, diarrhea (also a symptom of celiac) and lost days, where I would be in the bathroom the morning, exhausted afterwards and have to go to bed for the rest of the day. Mid May (few days ago) I had a very lost Saturday, bloody diarrhea, cramps, pain, etc., but felt better on Sunday, went for a run, etc., went to Mother's Day dinner and during dinner my lower back started to ache as did my groin area almost like menstrual cramps (which I have not had in years). By 9 pm it felt like I was being stabbed in the back with an ice pick (now middle back both sides of the spine), a fever and severe lower abdomen pain plus that ever so fun pain under my rib. As it was a Sunday, I waited to go the doctor until Monday (took Advil and Nuprin). Fever broke sometime early morning. At the doctor’s they set me up with antibiotics and I had a CT scan with contrast, which showed quite a number of infections in my large intestine. I have been on a liquid diet and had a scrambled egg tonight (Wednesday) as I was so hungry. Here is the rub, I eat incredibly healthy, salads every day, lots of fiber, no grains, I run every day and am a fitness instructor. I have always loose stools. The medical staff where I go kept trying to tell me that loose stools are a sign of constipation. I had to stop from falling off my stool (bad pun). I do however after a run in with gluten have a lot of diarrhea and the next day things sort of come to a soft stool situation so I guess this is enough. My parents had issues with this as do my 3 sisters, so I think it is hereditary in my world. Sorry for the long diatribe.

Comment from: patrick s, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

For me, I was feeling pain like a hernia almost, which steadily became worse and worse until I was having trouble moving around. I went to an urgent care center, and they sent me to the hospital instantly. I also get lower back pain from diverticulitis, I am on my second flare up now. Because I've been working so much, I haven't been eating well. I finished the second course of antibiotics but it is still lingering. I just started taking Metamucil daily, which I've heard helps a lot.

Comment from: Joan w., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had my 1st attack of diverticulitis 6 months ago which hospitalized me for one week. I lost a lot of blood ending up with anemia. It has taken almost 6 months to recover gaining the weight I lost. Now I am experiencing slight pain in left side plus my 2nd urinary tract infection. The first one was treated with antibiotic which worked for a few weeks, but now it is back, with a slight discharge. I am so worried that I am on the verge of another attack, I don’t know what to do to prevent this. I am 77 years old.

Comment from: stacyb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My pain began as cramping in my lower abdomen and the pain radiated down into my legs. It felt like menstrual cramps although I haven't had a period in many years. After a few hours, the pain subsided and I slept well that night. The next morning it started again. I took 3 ibuprofen and I didn't start feeling the cramps again until hours later. That afternoon I took 3 ibuprofen but it didn't touch the pain. It continued to get worse into evening. I went to bed early and slept well. When I lay down it felt better. When I awoke on the third morning with the symptoms worsening I knew it was time to see the doctor. I went to the emergency room and they did a CT scan and determined that it was diverticulitis. They put me on two antibiotics for 10 days, clear liquids until the pain went away, low fiber foods for a few days, and then instructed me to eat a high fiber diet with plenty of water. Seedy and nutty foods, including popcorn and corn, are likely to cause a flare up but the research says there's nothing to prove this. So for now I try and stick to the high fiber diet but occasionally eat foods with seeds but very sparingly.

Comment from: Tobe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

In my experience with diverticulitis which have right now, I have very sharp pains in my groin and lower stomach, like a knife. I am on Advil, Tylenol and Buscopan for pain. I am on Flagyl and ciprofloxacin antibiotics. I have never felt this much severe pain ever before! I cannot pass gas or have a bowel movement which I would really would love to have right now. I am not allowed to eat for a couple of days, just clear liquids. I am trying to stay home right now though this but if I get worse I am going to be admitted in hospital. Last year I did not feel a thing but hugely bloated, just felt very full pressure. I went to the doctor and had blood test done and my white blood cells count was at 14.5. I was rushed to the hospital and spent 5 days in there on IV antibiotics.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My symptoms of diverticulitis are abdominal pain, back pain and gas.

Comment from: minni, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I started getting burning pain in chest and lower left side and it went on for 6 days. I went to the emergency room because I feared a heart attack. I had blood work, EKG, ultra sound of the heart, and chest x-rays, and all came back clear. I have diverticulitis problem and thinking this is what it is. I also have pinched nerve in the neck and sometimes food feels like stuck in throat.

Comment from: zboz78, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I am a male in my 40s. About 5 years ago, I started to have a burning sensation in my lower left abdomen. Sometimes it radiates to my back, or legs, but it is mainly in the lower left abdomen. It is at its worst when I am sitting or lying down. Eating always makes it worse, no matter what food it is. I have tried all kinds of diets, including cutting seeds out of my life, and eating lots of fiber. I have been to at least 20 doctors, including gastroenterologists, urologists, radiologists, neurologists, and surgeons. I have had every possible testing done, some of them multiple times, including CT scans (with and without contrast), MRI, x-ray, ultrasound, and even a PET scan, which is usually only done for cancer screening. My blood work has never shown anything abnormal. I have had multiple colonoscopies and upper endoscopies done. Doctors have told me it was things like IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), diverticulitis, ulcers, and many more things, but all have been proven to be false. I have taken several rounds of Cipro and Flagyl for the diverticulitis, and my last colonoscopy showed that even the pouches vanished, which is impossible, so I either never had them or they are still there. Recently, a doctor told me it was some type of hernia, so I had a laparoscopy done, but that showed no signs for hernias, only some twisting of the large intestine, which my surgeon said he fixed. Five days later, I ended up in the emergency room because my heart was beating too fast once I realized all my symptoms were back after the surgery. Afterwards, a doctor told me it might be cancer, which was proven false with the PET scan. Then, I went to a psychiatrist and she diagnosed me with depression and anxiety, which I think is a result from having so many scares over the years and always being on the edge of my seat while waiting for results, so I am taking many medications for that. The burning went away for a month or so, but now it is back and I do not know how to deal with it and the depression at the same time.

Comment from: Madlyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am 70 years old and usually very active. One night I began to experience pain in the lower abdomen. It was not a sharp or stabbing pain, but felt more like my intestines were twisting and blocked. As morning approached the pain traveled to the left side. The twisting pain was excruciating. I was doubling over and could not stand. I called my daughter and we went to the hospital. After an exam and x-ray of the lower colon, they decided I had diverticulitis. Hydrocodone 7.5-325 was prescribed for the pain. I was given Cipro and Flagyl to continue taking at home. After about 5 days, the pain disappeared. I have never felt such pain before.

Comment from: Frank S., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My symptoms of diverticulitis were abdominal and lower bowel pain that kept getting worse, and constipation. After a few days I was only getting small bloody stools and the pain increased in my abdomen and lower stomach. I also developed severe dizziness. The day they took me to the hospital I could not even stand up. It turns out that my colon had abscessed and was leaking into my peritoneal area and I was septic. I should have gotten to the hospital sooner.

Comment from: Summer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was told after having a routine test to clean out the intestine that I have diverticulosis. Today I had a lot of pain in my lower left side, vomiting, constipation and fever. I did not see any blood on the paper after wiping. I usually am constipated due to taking medications for rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. When I had my exam I had no polyps but did have pockets and the stuff I had to drink did not clear me out.

I had an all over abdominal discomfort, but not actual pain. Frankly, I thought I had a bad case of gas. But the things I normally do to relieve gas (obviously) didn't help. I could not isolate the pain to one area. I was just bloated. I took some Alka seltzer and had a small amount of relief - not enough that the discomfort went away totally, just enough to fool me into thinking I was right about the gas. And then the rupture. The pain became VERY localized - it was like someone was stabbing me in one spot (lower left) with a very hot knife. It was excruciating! Worst pain EVER - made delivering my son naturally seem like a stubbed toe. And because I was young - only 36 - they went "exploring" my abdomen. I had NO history of any trouble at all. I lost nearly 3 inches of my sigmoid and had a colostomy due to the peritonitis. Fortunately for me, 6 weeks later I was able to be "put back together." I haven't had any recurring problems, but I am pretty good about taking fiber twice a day and trying not to strain to go to the bathroom. I also avoid white breads and try to get plenty of whole grains. It's been 8 years (wow - that is so hard to believe!) and I am fine.

Comment from: Wondering, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I don't know what I have, honestly. I don’t know if it is diverticulitis or something else. For the past few months I have had severe bloating in my belly, a sharp to dull pain in my abdomen and pain in my lower back. For the past four days, I have been passing blood in stool; sometimes just watery blood and other time clots will come out. I don't know what to do or where to go and I am one of those who do not have health insurance. I'm just trying to ride it out but I don't know how much longer I can deal with this.

Comment from: Bjazi, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am a 44 year old male, and I experienced pain in the lower far left of my intestines. I had gas and changes of bowel movement from diarrhea to constipation. Pain got better within 2 days of antibiotics, but still experiencing gas and irregular bowel movement, and sometimes stool is thin. I am scheduled for colonoscopy in 20 days and worried sick about diverticulitis due to all the googling I have been doing.

Comment from: Pooter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

Life-long constipation has been my problem. Aged 66, after 2 weeks of constipation, I had a sudden painful relief, accompanied by large amount of mucus and blood, never noted before. I was diagnosed after scans and sigmoidoscopy with diverticular colitis, and treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.

Comment from: Jewal13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

My lower left side of back and left abdominal region began burning out of nowhere. I thought it was my kidney. I can barely walk and left side hurts constantly. I am wondering if it is diverticulitis.

Comment from: Rosean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I’m having burning stinging pains in my right side small intestines after I consume a bland diet. Not sure if it is diverticulitis. I feel it leaking into my body after the initial stinging sets in. It has caused me to get fibromyalgia and lose nutrients like B vitamin and magnesium, and oh the charley horses I get! I’ve totally revamped my diet for many months now but it’s still there. I suffer every day for the past two years.

Comment from: LL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I am not sure if my pain is muscular or from diverticulitis. My pain started as what felt like muscle pain in the lower left abdomen, primarily when moving. I noticed I had more gas than usual but it felt like upper abdomen and not lower. I do have mild constipation from time to time (mild being no bowel movement (BM) for more than 36 to 48 hours). I have had more frequent BMs but almost never diarrhea or super hard. Some are normal size and some are minimally narrower than usual. I have no fever but occasional chill. Doctor said to increase fiber.

Comment from: DebbieJ27, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

At first before I had any idea about diverticulitis, I thought I had pelvic inflammatory disease. My whole pelvic area was inflamed. I ended up in the emergency room and after a CT scan was diagnosed with diverticulitis.

Comment from: Amn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Two weeks ago I had a CAT scan with contrast. I was having abdominal pain so they wanted to check my pelvis and my abdominal area for diverticulitis. They said everything came back normal, no problems. He said the problem is my lower back, wonder if anybody else has heard such a thing.

Comment from: TONY, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I get this really bad cramp in my stomach so I go to the toilet for a bowel movement. When I try to pass the stool I strain and I get this really uncomfortable stabbing pains in the middle of my back, my heart starts pounding, and I feel light headed. I wonder if these are diverticulitis symptoms.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

Severe pain on the top part of my stomach was my initial symptom of diverticulitis.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I have been hurting for 3 days now with diverticulitis, I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: Carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I woke up one morning and could not touch the left side of my tummy due to pain from diverticulitis.

Comment from: Nikkip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I am experiencing pain down my right leg and pelvic pain. Also a sharp pain but it is in my lower back. I am losing my appetite again from diverticulitis.

Comment from: Mig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Since Tuesday I started to feel pain on my lower left side abdomen, bloating, gas and at night I woke up with acid reflux. It went away and had a big bowel movement on Wednesday. In the evening narrow stool movement. Since then today, Sunday, the pain is worse and I woke up in a cold sweat. I am worried if these are symptoms of diverticulitis.

Comment from: jude, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I get really cold with severe shaking when I get pain in the left side. I have been hospitalized 2 times with diverticulitis.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis last year. I had a couple of flare ups and I take antibiotics which are so awful they make me worse. But every day I have pain even if I go to toilet or not. I have to take tramadol on a daily basis.

Comment from: Victoria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have a flare up of diverticulitis every two years. Not sure what causes it, I am never constipated. I usually get an infection when I eat lots of salads and nuts. I get an infection in a pocket. I hurt on my left side. I am now passing slimy light green stuff. I have not been to the doctor yet. I guess I need an antibiotic.

Comment from: feelingbetter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

My symptoms started with mild discomfort below my navel. Over a period of several hours the discomfort became increasingly worse with severe cramping (every two minutes or so) just above my navel, combined with a bloated feeling and extreme sensitivity all around my stomach. This was followed by nausea, hot/cold spells, a rise in my pulse (up to 122 bpm) and a rise in blood pressure. It was a truly miserable experience. I was treated with Dicyclomine 10mg capsules (for cramping) and Metronidazole 500 mg tablets (antibiotic). The combination of both medications have thus far worked well in the 4 days since onset. The medication made the cramping, nausea and bloating dissipate over a period of 24 hours although I felt weak and shaky through day three. Today (day 4) I'm feeling fairly well. Right now I'm conscious of every little gurgle and twinge in my stomach, so I may actually be feeling better than I think.

I had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen for a couple of days, then I started to get chills (hot then cold). I began to run a fever. This lasted a couple of hours, then it was over. The next day when I went to see the doctor, most of the prior nights symptoms where gone except the pain in my lower left abdomen. After consult my family doctor, I had an MRI done and it was confirmed that I had Diverticulosis with a perforation.

Comment from: Lyn., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I wonder if diverticulosis can give you pain, like I have.

Comment from: GladHawkk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) since I was 35 and I am now 60. I was told that I have a diverticula 5 years ago after a colonoscopy. The doctor told me to eat more fiber, which really didn't help much at all. I tried so many things to try and improve my health. Four weeks ago I contracted a bug/virus and been to 4 doctors to only hear that I have a bug and IBS is bad, and they did absolutely nothing for me at all. I am sure it was diverticulitis and possibly an infection because of the bug I had. I have changed my diet in a big way, taking vitamin D3, probiotics (gluten free, lactose free), drinking lots of good water (not tap), started drinking Chaga tea, and will soon start on Essiac tea. Just hoping this does the trick. I am also losing weight (wasn't by choice), haven't had an appetite having nausea and bloating. Colonoscopy to happen in mid-June. All my bloodwork was fine, I had x-rays, they won't do a CT scan unless I'm dying and in agony because I had a reaction to the dye when I last had a CT scan. So after everything is ruled out, going mostly natural medicines, organic as much as possible, less stress and filling my life with music and calm, prayer and meditation and positive attitude as much as I can, but staying real and working on healing emotions. Life is too short to be to living in fear and pain. I am trying to listen to my body and spirit more.

Comment from: Mags, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had my sigmoid colon removed 10 years ago and was told I had multiple diverticula. Now I am having the same symptoms but my pain is higher up in my stomach.

Comment from: lorry, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 25

With an abscess on colon, I was in hospital for 3 days under heavy antibiotics. My stomach is still swollen and I am worried. My back aches.

Comment from: teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a cramp under rib cage on my left side for about a week. It felt sort of like a pulled muscle. I went to the hospital room where they ran blood tests. My white blood count was over 17000. They admitted me right away. I was given morphine and antibiotics for a week. I spent an entire week in hospital with something I had never heard about. It was scary and I still have a flare-up now and then, but nowhere as bad as the first time.

Comment from: Corey, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I'm 25 and just one day I woke up feeling pain right above my waist. I thought I had to pass gas really bad but could not. I bought some Gas-X and it did not do anything I thought maybe it was really bad bloating. I gave it a couple of days but by the second day the pain was like needles going into my lower abdomen. I really didn't want to go to the hospital as I have no medical insurance but I forced myself. That did CT scans, ran blood tests, and unfortunately had to do a rectal exam and a few hours later diagnosed me with diverticulitis saying it was abnormal for my age.

Comment from: Harleyyorkie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had symptoms about two years ago. I had bloating, gas, several bouts of cramping diarrhea. I took over the counter medications and just passed it off as "oh, getting older (early 50's) can't eat that anymore." I had one episode about a year earlier that woke me out of a sound sleep with cramping, pain in the lower abdomen, sweating, rapid pulse, and chills. I really thought I was having a heart attack. Once again I passed it off as "something I ate." Come to find out that was a small tear in the colon, but we didn't find that out until 6 months later when I was at work and was overcome by this searing sharp, burning pain all across my lower abdomen.

Comment from: too young but got it, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 24 and was diagnosed at 21. I had horrible pain in my left bottom side of my lower abdomen. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, I went from one doctor to the next for about a month. All the signs pointed to diverticulitis but it wasn't a possibility because of my age. I lost around 25 pounds or so because I couldn't eat or drink. Finally after the barium enema the doctors concluded it had to be diverticulitis.

Comment from: Bjw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Severe stomach cramps are my worst symptom as a result of diverticulitis.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Hi I was 45 and at first I got a mild pain in the lower left abdomen, which became sharper and more frequent; it just wasn't going away. I also had very fast and runny stools. Then just a general unwell feeling, I felt tired and spaced out. At doctors they thought ectopic pregnancy, so I went to accident and emergency where it was diagnosed after physical and a scan. The doctors didn't really believe it was my first episode as it was acute with perforation/abscess. Luckily with three days of intravenous antibiotics, I was able to avoid surgery. Three years on I have not had another episode. I try to eat enough fiber and drink more water and stay clear of seeds, spicy food and I have reduced my alcohol intake.

Comment from: mw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My pain started with a tender spot under my rib on the left side. On the fourth day the pain became unbearable like I was being stabbed with a knife. That took me to the emergency room and the diagnosis with a CT scan and lab tests.

Comment from: DianaC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I just woke up with pain on the left side of the front of my body. Over the next 4 days it extended down into an L shape toward the center. A CT scan confirmed diverticulitis and I spent the next 3 weeks on antibiotics, but wasn't getting significantly better. When my Dr. sent me for another CT scan I was hospitalized, put on IV antibiotics for 5 days, and had 24" of my large intestine removed. The surgeon said I had an abscess, too. 6 weeks after surgery, I got diverticulitis AGAIN, and about a month after it cleared, once more, for which I'm in my 3rd week of antibiotics.

Comment from: musicman64, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

At age 63 I had for months been feeling bloated and tried Gas-Ex, etc. to no avail. Then I developed a tender spot below and to the right side of my navel and the doctor thought appendicitis. CT scan showed two inflamed areas in my colon. Clear liquid diet and IV antibiotics for 4 days in the hospital cleared it up. Colonoscopy showed pan-diverticulosis (i.e., in every section of my colon). I'm now on a high fibre diet permanently and haven't had another bout of this "complicated diverticulitis" (pus pockets)in 18 months.

Comment from: fiesty61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had abdominal pain, constipation, bloating, cramping, nausea and lower back pain. No one seemed to be able to find a reason for the symptoms, but a recent colonoscopy revealed that I have diverticulosis.

Comment from: lu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am an Asian and have always been on a high fiber diet the past 50 years. I moved to the USA for permanent stay. It had only been 3 years of low fiber, typical American food. But 10 days ago, after doing aqua aerobics, I noticed some blood stain in the toilet tissue. The following morning, it was all bloody bowel movement. My husband drove me to the hospital right away. Then the doctors asked for the common signs and symptoms like any pains, bloating, vomiting, fever,.. But I have none of those. I was very strong. I had 17 trips to the ER bathroom with frank red blood eliminations. So they made me go for X-rays, a CT scan and then the colonoscopy. Diagnosis: A lot of diverticuli everywhere in my colon. The doctor who did the colonoscopy said that if I get into such a crisis again, I should just go ahead and have that colon cut out! OH NO! That day was my 57th birthday!

Comment from: clara Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

This year alone, I have had several flares with diverticulitis. I was lifting weights more often, and I’m starting to think this might have had an effect on my condition. This most recent one lasted 10 days, and now I am taking a medication called Flagyl.

Comment from: catherine, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

After taking Bactrim for a urinary tract infection, which then resulted in severe diarrhea, I began today having sudden severe jabs of pain in my lower right side, occurring quite often. My physcian then prescribed tetracycline, which I have just gotten and will take three hours after having eaten dinner. The pains are very sharp.

Comment from: NavyVet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

After about 6 months of feeling bloated but with no other symptom, I developed a sore area below and to the right of my navel. This continued and grew slightly worse for several days until I saw a doctor. The initial diagnosis was appendicitis or diverticulitis. CAT scan verified the latter with two points of abscess. Six days of IV antibiotics and liquid diet cleared it. This was 13 months ago. There never was any real pain, just soreness and discomfort.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW