Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis)

Please share your experience with diverticulosis (diverticulitis). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 19

My mom has had 2 CT scans and is on antibiotics for diverticulitis. She is so weak, she is not eating and stays in bed. This has been going on for almost 8 days now. She is so weak and I am scared for her. We went to the emergency room 2 times now and they say it is diverticulitis. I don’t know what to do now.

Comment from: graham, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I had diverticulosis for many years, yes, I said I had. It took many years to find a diet that worked for me. Look up the paleo diet and don’t cheat. Basically all fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, all meats, less beef, all organic and that is it. I have never felt better, cleared up my diverticulosis, joint pain, skin condition, lost all my weight with no effort, and went to ideal. I never felt better. I recommend this diet to the diverticulosis crowd, it has fixed me up completely. No more medication.

Comment from: Ctch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

For 2 plus years I suffered with bouts of diverticulitis, even landing at emergency. The symptoms were consistent with diverticulitis. At one point having any cream based products resulted in severe headaches and diarrhea, leading my doctor to also suggest IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). After another year of pain and antibiotics I changed up my antidepressants. Within a week of stopping my Apo-Sertraline my symptoms were gone. That was last June. I have had zero symptoms.

Comment from: Richard S, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis a little over a year ago. I have changed my diet drastically. No nuts, seeds, etc. Pain was still there every day. As an avid beer drinker I decided not to drink for a week. A week later it dawned on me that I had not experienced any pain. Slowly but surely I integrated nuts and seeds back into my diet. Zero problems. So I went back to my beer and boom, the pain was back. Alcohol is the culprit for me.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I’m going to share my wellness advice for diverticulitis. I’ve had it most of my adult life, having the surgery in 2014, and yet it continued after that. So I started research and stumbled upon kefir. I bought some grains and started to make it daily. It’s been almost two years since I started, and the flare ups have changed significantly. They started to come further apart, and I’ve gone 8 months; you have no idea how unbelievable this is. Also, the pain has become easy.

Comment from: Pipvoc2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have had diverticulitis flare ups for the last month. I wonder if anyone else has fainted while having diarrhea.

Comment from: Jamie, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My wife has had diverticulitis for 6 years, and every episode gets worse. She had a colonoscopy and it showed pus in the intestine. After more antibiotics it's not getting better. More pain and vomiting, diarrhea, no fever but lots of pain. I don’t know when I should take her to the emergency room. We were told she needed surgery but the surgeon has not called us yet.

Comment from: twils, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis via a CT scan. For the past 2 to 3 years around every 3 months I was having pain in between my groin and the abdominal area, especially after urinating or bowel movements, pain in my lower left abdomen when lifting leg to put on pair of jeans, etc. The pain was not severe, intermittent, and went away after a couple days. The most recent episode had the same symptoms with severe cramping which led to the diagnosis. Possible trigger for this episode was too much caffeine/dehydration.

Comment from: Ctch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

For 3 years I suffered with frequent diverticulitis attacks. I had a colonoscopy confirming diverticula. I was on antibiotics 3 or more times a year, had pain on my left side almost daily, and severe diarrhea all the time. In June of last year my depression and anxiety was maxed out and my Apo-Sertraline was not managing either. I asked to switch to a new medicine. The doctor put me on Pristiq. Gone! Depression and anxiety too. But moreover, no diverticulitis attacks, no pain and normal bowel movement. The drug maybe.

Comment from: Joanne, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

Sadly my mother had nonspecific symptoms of diverticulosis like weakness and infection, and was eventually scanned which identified an abscess in sigmoid colon. Despite percutaneous drainage and extensive efforts to combat infection she developed further complications of a fistula and ileus and died. She was too old and weak to attempt any bowel resection surgery. So sad that diverticulitis wasn’t identified earlier so that modification of diet could have been implemented and addressed this silent assault on her.

QUESTION

Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas. See Answer
Comment from: HungryMom66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

My diverticulitis felt like a textbook urinary tract infection, until two weeks in when I got the intense abdominal pain on the lower left side. Two weeks after that, I was admitted to the hospital and stayed for two days. I had an abscess. I mostly recovered. I have it again, two months later. It’s not as severe because I recognized the symptoms. But now I’m scared.

Comment from: David P, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I have just had my first acute attack of diverticulosis and a perforation. I went to Accident and Emergency and was put on anti-biotics the surgeons decided not to operate. They are offering me elective surgery via keyhole at a later stage to remove the inflamed piece. Wonder if anyone else has made this decision. I have no idea on the severity. Apart from this acute case all I had prior was one night of pain on the same side.

Comment from: Florida Diver, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 56 year old male with painful diverticulitis for 2 years. I discovered how to manage symptoms. A naturalist doctor told me yeast fosters infections, so I cut out yeast (beer, wheat). I went a step further and began taking Candida Cleanse tablets daily (garlic), plus psyllium husk to keep my stool well formed. During 2019 I only had 2 mild attacks, and treated both with double doses of above supplements and attacks subsided the same day. Very pleased to share with others.

Comment from: Bearbear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I have diverticulitis. I was in the hospital for a bad infection. They used antibiotics to treat the disease and I was fine. Now the doctor says I need to have surgery. I don’t agree.

Comment from: Jeanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was 41 years old with a history of constipation. I had an overall feeling of not feeling well and very tired all the time. One day I had what I thought was pain from a bowel movement. I went to the bathroom but nothing happened. The pain intensified and 10 minutes later I went to the emergency room. The hospital let me scream in pain for 6 hours and pumped me with pain medicines. I got a CAT scan done and I had a perforated bowel from diverticulosis. I was in a coma for 3 days and woke up with an ostomy bag. Is a miracle I'm alive.

Comment from: Ctch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis after several painful episodes and a colonoscopy. For two years I have suffered with intermittent pain and frequent diarrhea. Four months ago I suggested to my doctor that we switch my medication for depression on the slight chance that my diverticulitis was medication induced. I have had zero pain or episodes since coming off my Apo sertraline. I have never felt better.

Comment from: Ronnie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I had my first attack of diverticulosis in 2011. It was a perforated bowel and for 8 days I had not even water, just IV. I got out, felt great, boom; 2 years later here we go again. I'm a 52 year old male. I've had back to back flare ups, and at times I just wanted to die. The pain was never the same, always new symptoms like back pain, groin pain, stomach felt like it was so big it was going to burst, nausea, and throwing up. I have cut out so much of the things I eat and still end up on horrible drugs that make you sicker than the disease.

Comment from: BJW, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my gallbladder removed when I was approximately 35. I had my first bout and was diagnosed with diverticulitis at around 40. As I get older I have noticed that this condition is becoming increasingly difficult to control. After seeing on the internet where some of the diet restrictions are being removed, I started eating deluxe mixed nuts again. Since that time I have been symptom free.

Comment from: Rr, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

For me diverticulosis always starts the same; some lower abdominal tenderness followed by soft thin stools. Then cramping and if it gets to fever then cramping gets worse and hits in waves. Sometimes I have blood in stool and if it's bad I stop having bowel movements and a full bladder makes it worse.

Comment from: Jimmy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

It’s been 1 year since my 1st flare up and diagnosis of diverticulosis by CAT scan. I changed my diet immediately. I had been relaxing my diet and now in the 2nd day of flare-up. I have pain in my lower left side and lower abdomen. My body wants nothing inside. I have only had Gatorade, less than a can of chicken broth, and a few crackers in 48 hours. Other than changing diet, I really have no helpful information to help others. I am hoping that having no coffee helps. Because when the flare ups come, they are definitely running the show.

SLIDESHOW

Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: Barndigger, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

This past Thursday I went to the emergency room with severe lower left abdominal pain. After a scan I was told I had diverticulitis and a small perforation in my colon. Once in the room I was put on IV antibiotics and fluid. I was given Lortab for the pain. I was released on Monday and until now the pain has been unbearable. I was having a spastic colon and didn't know what it was until reading this site. Someone mentioned hyoscyamine. I immediately contacted the doctor and luckily he put it in. Big help!

Comment from: Jasmine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I was a pretty well 50 year old woman, with no prior symptoms of diverticulosis. I started to get a dull ache one Tuesday in my left lower abdomen. I went to the doctors on both Wednesday and Friday and was given diagnosis of ovary pain, and later food poisoning. On Saturday I ended up having to go by ambulance to the hospital with pain in my lower left abdomen, fever, chills and nausea. I had perforated bowel (diverticulitis) and sepsis. I had hours to live. I had bowel resection and colostomy bag temporarily.

Comment from: Puffy , 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 30

I am a 65 year old female. I started getting little pains on the right side and left side of my abdomen. A colonoscopy said I had diverticulitis. I am trying to drink water. No soda, juices, regular coffee, regular tea; decaf only. I started to get back pain below my waist yesterday. I couldn’t do much. Today it is less. I am going to the doctor. I can’t believe there’s no relief for this, terrible.

Comment from: Mamajava, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had my one and only attack of diverticulitis two years ago, not having been aware of this possibility. The emergency room (ER) staff recognized it immediately by the symptoms but ordered a CT scan just to be sure. While it confirmed the original diagnosis, the scan also revealed a suspicious spot on a kidney. An alert and life-saving technician encouraged me to get a cancer screening. I was diagnosed with a very treatable, fast-growing renal cell carcinoma. That attack, and the dedication of the ER staff, led to the saving of most of my kidney, and possibly my life. I have not had any further bouts of the diverticulitis.

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

It took several visits to my doctor and lab tests as I was getting very sick with lower abdominal pain that pierced through my side and I was then unable to stand or walk. Every time I would start to get a flare up I would get very bad diarrhea and my stomach would make the loudest bubbling sounds I have ever heard it make. My main doctor failed at finding what was wrong with me. I then started to notice the signs and started going to the emergency room. My first visit the doctor was very concerned and had me do several different tests, MRI, CT scan, etc. With the results in he told me I have diverticulitis and as I was getting sick many times in the last year he said it was most likely really bad and ordered me a colonoscopy. Mind you, at this time I was 36 years old and I am now 40. For 2 1/2 years I was sick twice or more times a month. After having the colonoscopy the surgeon went over the results with me and told me I have a severe case and need more than a foot of my colon removed. I have not scheduled a surgery because I can’t afford it. I manage to get by with avoiding seeds except tomatoes. I haven’t cut them out at all and sometimes it makes me have a flare up but mostly I am fine. Certain foods set it off like any buffets, and the worst for me are fried foods. I have noticed that a few people I have met who have it eat foods that I can’t and vice versa so I think it just depends on the person. It really is hard to be sick all the time.

Comment from: divergut, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I had my first diverticulosis attack about three years ago at age 47. I thought I was just blocked up, took a laxative and it cleared up. The next time about a year later, after two weeks without a bowel movement I went to the hospital. I stayed for three days on IV antibiotics. Now I try to manage it but have lost a lot of weight and continue to suffer with pain and not being able to eat. I drink a lot of bone broth to get through the tough times.

Comment from: Grammy, Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis for over 10 years, so I have flare ups of diverticulitis about 10 to 15 times a year varying in severity. The one thing I have not seen mentioned in the stories is the drug hyoscyamine. I have used it for all of my flare ups and it is a miracle worker to take out the frequent bowel movements and the stabbing pain; works better than pain medicines. And there are no horrid side effects.

Comment from: RitaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. In a span of 10 years I had three colonoscopies. Two were administered during the past five years due to the diverticulitis. Every doctor wanted their own test. Finally I was given pills and daily enemas. I was told to consider surgery. The cures were worse than the illness. I decided to cease all medications. I went to live in Paris for three months. The very first thing I did was to look for a nearby hospital, just in case. The pain stopped, for three months it stopped. Upon returning home it began again. It turns out the cause was Coffee Mate I had in my coffee twice a day. When I returned to cream or milk as in Paris, I was well again.

Comment from: Miller, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have been in pain for over 10 years, with many CT scans, ultra sounds and costly MRIs, colonoscopy and upper EDG, all within the last year. My colonoscopy came back clean and yet the last CT mentioned I have sigmoid diverticulosis, how is that possible! Lots of dollars later I am still in great pain, especially at night I cannot lay on my left side at all, and early morning until I pass stools. Even during the day, it's hard to put all my weight on the left side without it hurting. Very frustrated and broke!

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW