Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Symptoms and Diet

Please describe your recovery after surgery for diverticulitis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Frank s., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My recovery from diverticulitis was slow and painful. I was septic and dying by the time they removed my colon. I also had to wear a colostomy bag and the abdominal wound became very infected and had to be packed with gauze strips 2 times a day for over 3 months. I got stronger as time passed (about 5 months) and just about the time I was feeling pretty well, I went back to have the colostomy bag removed and my bowels reconnected. My recovery time was a lot less that time because I wasn't septic. I just have never been the same since that illness. I have weakness, fatigue, and depression. Doctors say it is unusual for one to feel the way I do and think it is in my head. It may be.

Comment from: JoJo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 02

It started with severe stabbing pain on my left side of my abdomen. After a few days it went away. About a month later I again felt a severe stabbing pain on the left side. It did not go away and I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) since it was the middle of the night. They gave me a CT scan and took a blood test for infection. I was put on 2 small bags of antibiotics through an IV. I laid in ER for 6 hours. I was given two antibiotics to take from the next day. One of them made me vomit and I called in for advice. They prescribed anti-nausea pills which worked like a charm. I continued to take the antibiotics for 14 days. During the CT scan they found a small lesion on my pancreas and so I went in for an MRI. I ate soft foods and a low fiber diet. Now I have to be on a high fiber diet. I also developed oral thrush and had to get lozenges to take five times a day. Oral thrush is a white coating on the tongue and is hard to get rid of. I am also taking probiotics to restore my healthy bacteria which were all killed with the antibiotics. Thankfully my MRI showed my pancreas to be okay. I now have to have a colonoscopy the next month. I am advised not to eat any fruit and vegetables with seeds, nuts, popcorn, sesame seeds and especially sunflower seeds. Taking acidophilus capsules daily.

Comment from: spiderwoman499, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had 2 attacks about a few months apart and was told to have the surgery. I did, was hospitalized for nine days and was back two days later with an infection. I had laparoscopic, supposedly by the best in Boston. They cut a hole two inches deep. I had visiting nurses for 6 weeks come and pack it. I now have had three attacks in four months and having surgery again 23 months to the day of my last colon resection.

Comment from: lapalmamama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I suffered diverticulitis for over a week, thinking I had an impaction. After numerous enemas and drinking mineral oil, I went to the hospital. Stayed there 6 days on antibiotics and am awaiting colon surgery in the next 6 weeks. I am praying the infection goes down and when I go back on a solid diet that it does not start back up!

Bogardus ST. What do we know about diverticular disease? A brief overview. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 2006;40:S108–S111

Pemberton, J.H., MD. "Acute colonic diverticulitis: Medical management." UpToDate. Updated: Jul 18, 2017.
<http://www.uptodate.com/contents/acute-colonic-diverticulitis-medical-management>

Pemberton, J.H., MD. "Patient information: Diverticular disease (Beyond the Basics)." UpToDate. Aug 2017.
<http://www.uptodate.com/contents/diverticular-disease-beyond-the-basics>

Shahedi, K. MD. "Diverticulitis." Medscape. Aug 15, 2017.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/173388-overview>