Brand Names: Marinol, Syndros
Generic Name: dronabinol
- What is dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
- What are the possible side effects of dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
- How should I take dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Marinol, Syndros)?
- What happens if I overdose (Marinol, Syndros)?
- What should I avoid while taking dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
- What other drugs will affect dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
- Where can I get more information (Marinol, Syndros)?
What is dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
Dronabinol is a man-made form of cannabis (also known as marijuana).
Dronabinol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
round, white, imprinted with UM
round, brown, imprinted with UM
round, brown, imprinted with UM
round, orange, imprinted with UM
capsule, orange, imprinted with PAR 869
spherical, maroon, imprinted with RL
What are the possible side effects of dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives, skin rash or burning; mouth sores; warmth, redness, or tingly feeling; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- a seizure;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
- confusion, trouble sleeping, problems with memory or concentration;
- unusual changes in mood or behavior;
- restlessness, feeling nervous or irritable;
- slurred speech, drowsiness;
- severe or ongoing nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; or
- increased blood pressure--severe headache, blurred vision, pounding in your neck or ears.
Common side effects may include:
- feeling "high";
- dizziness, drowsiness, thinking problems;
- unusual thoughts or fears;
- feelings of extreme happiness; or
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the most important information I should know about dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
Dronabinol may cause new or worsening psychosis (unusual thoughts or behavior), especially if you have ever had depression or mental illness.
You should not use dronabinol capsules if you are allergic to sesame oil. You should not use dronabinol oral solution if you have had an allergic reaction to alcohol or if you also use disulfiram (Antabuse) or metronidazole (Flagyl).
Dronabinol can raise or lower blood pressure, especially in older adults or in people with heart problems.
Call your doctor at once if you have new or worsening mood symptoms, changes in behavior, headaches, vision problems, rapid heartbeats, or severe dizziness.
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
You should not use dronabinol if you are allergic to it.
You should not take dronabinol capsules if you are allergic to sesame oil.
Dronabinol oral solution (liquid medicine) contains alcohol. You should not take dronabinol liquid if you have ever had an allergic reaction to alcohol or if you also use disulfiram (Antabuse) or metronidazole (Flagyl). Do not take dronabinol liquid within 14 days after or 7 days before using disulfiram or metronidazole.
Tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- an allergy to any medication;
- epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
- heart problems, high or low blood pressure, fainting spells, fast heartbeats;
- alcoholism or drug addiction; or
- depression, mental illness, or psychosis.
It is not known whether this medicine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
You should not breast-feed while using this medicine, and for at least 9 days after your last dose.
Dronabinol is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
How should I take dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Use the medicine exactly as directed. Tell your doctor if you feel an increased urge to use more of this medicine.
Dronabinol may be habit-forming. Misuse can cause addiction, overdose, or death. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it. Selling or giving away this medicine is against the law.
To stimulate appetite in people with AIDS, dronabinol is usually taken 1 hour before lunch and 1 hour before dinner.
To prevent nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy:
- Take your first dose on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before eating.
- After your first dose, you may take dronabinol with or without food but take it the same way each time.
- Dronabinol is usually given 1 to 3 hours before your chemotherapy treatment, and then every 2 to 4 hours (up to 6 doses per day).
Older adults may need to take this medicine less often. Follow your doctor's dosing instructions very carefully.
Swallow the capsule whole and do not crush, chew, break, or open it.
Measure liquid medicine carefully. Use the dosing syringe provided, or use a medicine dose-measuring device (not a kitchen spoon).
Take the liquid medicine with a full glass of water.
You may need to follow a special diet while using dronabinol. Follow all instructions of your doctor or dietitian. Learn about the foods you should eat to help boost your food intake.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using dronabinol.
Do not stop using dronabinol suddenly after long-term use, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to safely stop using this medicine.
Store the capsules or unopened liquid medicine in a tightly-closed container in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
You may also store the capsules at cool room temperature, away from moisture and heat. After opening the liquid medicine, store it at room temperature. Throw away any unused liquid 28 days after opening the bottle.
What happens if I miss a dose (Marinol, Syndros)?
Take the medicine as soon as you can, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not take two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose (Marinol, Syndros)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms may include changes in mood, memory problems, little or no urinating, constipation, loss of energy, problems with speech or coordination, or feeling light-headed.
What should I avoid while taking dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
Do not use marijuana while taking dronabinol.
Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how this medicine will affect you. Dizziness or severe drowsiness can cause falls or other accidents.
Do not drink alcohol while taking dronabinol.
What other drugs will affect dronabinol (Marinol, Syndros)?
Sometimes it is not safe to use certain medications at the same time. Some drugs can affect your blood levels of other drugs you take, which may increase side effects or make the medications less effective.
Other drugs may affect dronabinol, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any medicine you start or stop using.
Where can I get more information (Marinol, Syndros)?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about dronabinol.
Copyright 1996-2019 Cerner Multum, Inc.