Brand Names: Multaq
Generic Name: dronedarone
- What is dronedarone (Multaq)?
- What are the possible side effects of dronedarone (Multaq)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dronedarone (Multaq)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dronedarone (Multaq)?
- How should I take dronedarone (Multaq)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Multaq)?
- What happens if I overdose (Multaq)?
- What should I avoid while taking dronedarone (Multaq)?
- What other drugs will affect dronedarone (Multaq)?
- Where can I get more information (Multaq)?
What is dronedarone (Multaq)?
Dronedarone is a heart rhythm medicine that helps lower your risk of needing to be hospitalized for a heart rhythm disorder called atrial fibrillation. Dronedarone is for adults who have had this disorder in the past, but now have normal heart rhythm.
Dronedarone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
oval, white, imprinted with LOGO, 4142
What are the possible side effects of dronedarone (Multaq)?
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- dry cough, shortness of breath;
- little or no urination;
- fast or pounding heartbeats, fluttering in your chest, shortness of breath, and sudden dizziness (like you might pass out);
- heart problems--swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath;
- liver problems--loss of appetite, stomach pain (upper right side), tiredness, itching, dark urine, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- low magnesium or potassium levels--dizziness, numbness or tingling, irregular heartbeats, fluttering in your chest, increased thirst or urination, muscle cramps or limp feeling.
Common side effects may include:
- stomach pain, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- feeling weak or tired; or
- skin rash, itching, or redness.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What is the most important information I should know about dronedarone (Multaq)?
Dronedarone can double your risk of death if you have certain heart conditions. Call your doctor at once if you have an irregular pulse, chest tightness, wheezing, a cough with foamy mucus, swelling or rapid weight gain, or trouble breathing (especially at night).
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you start or stop using. Many drugs can interact, and some drugs should not be used together.
Dronedarone can also cause liver problems. Call your doctor if you have symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, right-sided upper stomach pain, dark urine, and yellowing of your skin or eyes.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking dronedarone (Multaq)?
You should not use dronedarone if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- severe liver disease;
- a serious heart condition such as "sick sinus syndrome," "AV block" (unless you have a pacemaker), or very slow heartbeats that have caused you to faint;
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding; or
- if you used a medicine called amiodarone and then had lung problems or liver problems.
Dronedarone can double your risk of death if you have certain heart conditions. You should not use this medicine if:
- you have severe heart failure;
- you were recently hospitalized for worsening heart failure symptoms (shortness of breath, chest tightness, night-time breathing problems, swelling, rapid weight gain); or
- you have a "permanent" atrial fibrillation that cannot be changed back to a normal rhythm (this will be determined by your doctor).
Many drugs can interact and cause dangerous effects. Some drugs should not be used together with dronedarone. Your doctor may change your treatment plan if you also use:
- other heart rhythm medicines;
- ritonavir or other antiviral medicine;
- an antibiotic such as clarithromycin or telithromycin;
- an antidepressant such as amitriptyline, clomipramine, doxepin, imipramine, nefazodone, and others;
- antifungal medicine such as itraconazole, ketoconazole, or voriconazole; or
- antipsychotic medicine such as chlorpromazine, fluphenazine, promethazine, thioridazine, and others.
Tell your doctor if you have other heart problems.
You should not breastfeed while using dronedarone.
How should I take dronedarone (Multaq)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
Dronedarone is usually taken with morning and evening meals.
Your heart function may need to be checked every 3 months to help determine if you still need dronedarone. Do not stop taking dronedarone without your doctor's advice.
Check your pulse often, and call your doctor if you notice an irregular rhythm.
Store at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
What happens if I miss a dose (Multaq)?
Skip the missed dose and use your next dose at the regular time. Do not use two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose (Multaq)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking dronedarone (Multaq)?
Grapefruit may interact with dronedarone and cause side effects. Avoid consuming grapefruit while taking dronedarone.
What other drugs will affect dronedarone (Multaq)?
Dronedarone can cause a serious heart problem. Your risk may be higher if you also use certain other medicines for infections, asthma, heart problems, high blood pressure, depression, mental illness, cancer, malaria, or HIV.
Tell your doctor about all your current medicines. Many drugs can affect dronedarone, especially:
- St. John's wort;
- a blood thinner (warfarin, Coumadin, Jantoven);
- a diuretic or "water pill";
- medicines to treat tuberculosis;
- medicine to prevent organ transplant rejection;
- seizure medicine; or
- "statin" cholesterol medication (Lipitor, Zocor, Vytorin, and others).
This list is not complete and many other drugs may affect dronedarone. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Not all possible drug interactions are listed here.
Where can I get more information (Multaq)?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about dronedarone.
Copyright 1996-2021 Cerner Multum, Inc.