Drug Overdose: Overdoses of drugs or chemicals can be either accidental or intentional. Drug overdoses occur when a person takes more than the medically recommended dose. Overdose is often a cause of death, coma, or other injury with heroin and other drugs commonly abused.
Benzodiazepine Abuse Benzodiazepines are a type of medication known as tranquilizers. Familiar names include Valium and Xanax. They are some of the most commonly prescribed medications in the United States. Symptoms and signs of benzodiazepine abuse include:
- coma, and
- slurred speech.
Expert Views and News
- Safety Concerns Trigger Naloxone Recall
- Docs Underestimate Their Opioid Prescriptions
- Approval of Lofexidine for Opioid Withdrawal
- US Opioid Overdose Epidemic Getting Worse
- Vomiting Syndrome on the Rise in Heavy Pot Smokers
- What Is Kratom? Why Does the DEA Want to Ban It?
- CDC Guidelines for Prescribing Opioid Painkillers
- Drug Overdose Deaths Hit Record Numbers
- Heroin Epidemic in the United States
- Prescription Painkiller Epidemic Among Women
- Parents Can Influence Teens Drug Use
- Chronic Abuse of Prescription Drugs Skyrocketing
- 40 U.S. Deaths a Day from Prescription Painkillers