Earache (Ear Pain)

Please describe your experience with earache. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lisa M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

My ears have a constant dull ache and itchiness. If I don't use a neck pillow at night to create some space between my ear and pillow, I wake up with excruciating pain in my ear. Also if I go outside for a walk, the cool air causes them to ache very badly like brain freeze when eating ice cream but it's in both ears. Even when I'm indoors my ears still hurt as well and they are always itchy. Doctors cannot pinpoint a cause. I guess I just have to live with it.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was prescribed an antibiotic for my earache, but many ear infections are misdiagnosed and do not need antibiotics so I'm afraid I'll do more damage than good. I read that eucalyptus oil can help, but I'm not sure if I should try it. I might cause more pain for myself.

Comment from: Hasin, (Patient) Published: July 13

I am suffering from severe pain in my ear for the last two days. My year got infected 3 or 4 times in the last four years, and there is something like soft waste from left ear and secretion of dry substance from both ear day after day. It seems to be waste in both ears. I am so much tensed about my ear condition. Doctor said that there is a chance to rupture my tympanic membrane of left ear.

Comment from: Pat Owen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

For about a month it kind of felt like there has been a bug in my ear but never pain. Now there is a little swelling by my neck close to my ear. I am going to the doctor tomorrow but worried now.

Comment from: Naomi, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 07

I've been experiencing swelling on the inside of my ear. It is painful and I can hardly lie on it. I tried cleaning with an earbud, and when I take the ear bud out, it's wet.

Comment from: Kriss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have had a dull earache off and on for at least a year. The doctor never sees anything and says I have no ear wax, but I have never had much earwax. Sometimes my ears feel slightly plugged, and I have ringing in my ears most days. Some days the ringing is more noticeable than others. I have no toothaches (have heard tooth problems can cause ear pain).

Comment from: Liam, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I woke up at three in the morning and my inner ear in my left ear really hurt. I took some ibuprofen and I'm just waiting it out. I leave for Istanbul in one day and I don't want this to be an infection.

• Earache - Causes

What was the cause of your earache?

Post View 17 Comments
  • Earache - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your earache?

Post View 5 Comments
  • Earache - Symptoms

What other symptoms have you experienced with an earache?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Earache - Home Remedies

What natural or home remedies have you found helpful in treating earaches and ear pain?

Post View 1 Comment

Kasper, D., et al. "Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine." McGraw-Hill Education/Medical. 19th edition. 2015.