Viewer Comments: Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Experience

Ear Infections in Children and Adults

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earwax (Excess Buildup and Blockage):

Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Experience

Please share your experience with earwax buildup or blockage.

Comment from: Lyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I suffered with poor hearing and general discomfort in my left ear for many years, probably going back to when I used to fly abroad a good deal. Nothing relieved the problem and I just got to the point where I accepted it. When a therapist friend suggested ear candles I just laughed, it seemed a ridiculous method. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong! They worked brilliantly and I have no more issues. I know when the wax has built up because I start to feel headachy and my hearing begins to fail. Of course you have to be sensible. I don't think it is something you can do by yourself and you do need a foil pie plate for protection but these are supplied in the pack with the good ear candles. I have no idea about the science behind their effectiveness, I can only tell you that they work. If anyone doubts this then they are welcome to check it out when I use them. The evidence of the amount of wax removed from my left ear and the lack of it in my right ear is very obvious!

Must Read Articles Related to Earwax

Earache (Ear Pain)
Earache

Earache is pain in the ear. An earache...learn more >>

Foreign Body in Ear
Foreign Body, Ear Getting an object lodged in the ear is a common problem -- especially among toddlers. learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earwax (Excess Buildup and Blockage):

Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your excess earwax buildup or blockage?

Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with earwax buildup or blockage?

Earwax - Treatment and Removal

What treatments have effectively removed your earwax buildup or blockage?