Earwax (Excess Buildup and Blockage)

Please share your experience with earwax buildup or blockage. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I suffered with poor hearing and general discomfort in my left ear for many years, probably going back to when I used to fly abroad a good deal. Nothing relieved the problem and I just got to the point where I accepted it. When a therapist friend suggested ear candles I just laughed, it seemed a ridiculous method. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong! They worked brilliantly and I have no more issues. I know when the wax has built up because I start to feel headachy and my hearing begins to fail. Of course you have to be sensible. I don't think it is something you can do by yourself and you do need a foil pie plate for protection but these are supplied in the pack with the good ear candles. I have no idea about the science behind their effectiveness, I can only tell you that they work. If anyone doubts this then they are welcome to check it out when I use them. The evidence of the amount of wax removed from my left ear and the lack of it in my right ear is very obvious!

• Earwax - Treatment and Removal

What treatments have effectively removed your earwax buildup or blockage?

Post View 11 Comments
  • Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your excess earwax buildup or blockage?

Post
  • Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with earwax buildup or blockage?

Post

Chai TJ, Chai TC. Bacteriicidal activity of cerumen. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 1980; 18(4):638-41.

Dinces, E.A., MD. "Cerumen." UpToDate. Updated: Jul 30, 2015.
<http://www.uptodate.com/contents/cerumenhttp://www.uptodate.com/contents/cerumen>

Ernst E. Ear candles: a triumph of ignorance over science. J Laryngol. Jan 2004; 118(1):1-2.

Saloranta K, Westermarck T. Prevention of cerumen impaction by treatment of outer ear canal skin. A pilot randomized controlled study. Clin Otolaryngol. Apr 2005; 30(2):112-4.

Stone M, Fulghum RS. Bactericidal activity of wet cerumen. The Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology. Mar 1984; 93:183-6.

WhatleyVN, Dodds CL, Paul RI. Randomized clinical trial of docusate, triethanolamine polypeptide, and irrigation in cerumen removal in children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. Dec 2003; 157(12):1181-3.