Viewer Comments: Earwax - Treatment and Removal

Ear Infections in Children and Adults

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earwax (Excess Buildup and Blockage):

Earwax - Treatment and Removal

What treatments have effectively removed your earwax buildup or blockage?

Comment from: denny, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have used the ear candles several times to remove excess ear wax. It is a two person process. Each time I have gotten a huge amount of wax out. I have one ear that produces a large amount of wax. I never put anything in my ears.

Comment from: welove , 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: February 11

I tried the mineral oil on my child. Then flushed with warm water and sucked with a bulb. It did no good. Then, I filled the canal with peroxide. It bubbled for a few minutes and we then rinsed with warm water. A TON of wax came out! Thanks for the advice!

Comment from: verj51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

My nurse practitioner flushed the ear wax out.

Comment from: earwax sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My ears produce a great deal of wax. I was desperate and went to a massage therapist who used ear candles. The treatment removed copious amounts of wax. It removed more wax than when I have had the doctor remove the wax.

Comment from: Seal, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I use Hydrogen Peroxide and let it bubble in the ear for a couple minutes and then roll over to let it drain on a towel. Then I do it to the other side. It works like a charm for me.

Comment from: Cathy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I purchased an ear wax candle for removing the build-up in my 18-year-old son's ear. We were laughing as we started this process as - it was a bit odd. I purchased the ear candle at our local farmer's market. We did one ear and it did remove a small amount of wax a little over a quarter of an inch in size - and cone shaped. Then we did the 2nd ear which is his "bad ear" and were shocked to see all the wax and yeast it removed. We really couldn't believe it. We've asked our son this afternoon if he can hear better and I think he can. Now the rest of the family wants it done on their ears as well.

Ear candles work very efficiently for me!

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 06

I used simple olive oil. No more nagging the wife to put drops in, no more mess, and most importantly, no more excessive troublesome, painful wax!

Comment from: Jill, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

For my earwax buildup, I bought an ear wax removal kit. I made a trip to the drugstore and they had it for $6.97. It was the best money I've ever spent. I was gradually losing my hearing and thought it was an infection. After the 2nd treatment in two days, the solution removed 4 large waxy chunks from my left ear. Relief!

Comment from: Vamos, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I've been using hydrogen peroxide for my earwax since being told to do so during a trip to the hospital at the age 10. It tickles but is very effective.

Comment from: Catlady2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had a tremendous buildup of wax in my right ear about a year ago and went to my regular doctor where they (him and the nurse) proceeded to spend about 45 minutes to an hour irrigating my ear canal and then actually removing the wax a bit at a time with a type of forceps. It was truly amazing how much wax they removed, as gross as it sounds, it was such a relief!! There was no pain through the whole procedure; of course they were very gentle. A great deal of the buildup was very hard and had been there for quite some time from what they told me, it had to have been to have been that built up. So, if you're fortunate to have a caring, PATIENT physician like I am, they can probably do it in the office. Otherwise, you'd probably need to visit an ear nose and throat specialist. Hope this helps someone.

Must Read Articles Related to Earwax

Earache (Ear Pain)
Earache

Earache is pain in the ear. An earache...learn more >>

Foreign Body in Ear
Foreign Body, Ear Getting an object lodged in the ear is a common problem -- especially among toddlers. learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earwax (Excess Buildup and Blockage):

Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Experience

Please share your experience with earwax buildup or blockage.

Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your excess earwax buildup or blockage?

Earwax Buildup and Blockage - Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with earwax buildup or blockage?