Ectopic Pregnancy (Tubal Pregnancy)

What symptoms and signs did you experience with an ectopic pregnancy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 5th march 2010, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was at work on the mines. My partner and I was having a quiet beer with our work mates I just finished my period and I felt a soft discomfort pain in my lower abs when I finished my first beer. I thought to myself I must need to go to the toilet. As I got closer the pain went from being bearable to walking like a hunch back. I sat on the toilet and tried to do my thing, I noticed then it was not that as I tried to stand back up I started to sweat like someone had just turned the tap on me and left it running for a good 5 min. When I managed to get up the pain had gotten that bad I was curled up over the sink with my pants undone my face was that white it was whiter then this screen. I managed to pull myself together and walk out of the toilet. At this time I was short of breath and starting to pass out. I tried to walk with my back straight back to my partner where I told him I wasn't felling to well. He suggested to me to go see the onsite paramedics then also said that if u go u will be going and not coming back to site. This made me worry so I said ill go lay down in bed, as my partner was looking at me I was losing the fight and ended up at the paramedics. They had no idea what was wrong with me and phoned the local hospital which was 2 hours away. When I arrived the docs did a couple of tests and told me I was pregnant and what blood type I was. At this stage the pain was unbearable every move touch was agony. After trying to stabilize me I was then flown to another hospital where they can treat me. I was raced into the operating theatre where they removed my left tube and the egg. When I finally came round I was told I had a Ectopic Pregnancy, and the pain was due to my tube erupting I had lost 3Ltrs off blood by the time I reached the first hospital and lost a couple more in surgery. I was in hospital for a total of 6 days. I am now recovering slowly back at my aunts place where I'm closely being watched.

Comment from: JByard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I just found out last week my pregnancy was ectopic. I already have one son and my husband and I have been trying unsuccessfully for our second. When we found out we were pregnant again we were so happy, but the doctor was so cautious he wouldn't even give us a due date until I held the pregnancy for 2 more weeks. I started spotting and cramping, which broke our hearts, but it never turned into a full blood stream like my previous miscarriages. I went to the ER and after spending 12 hours in the ER, they ruled it ectopic and scheduled me for an immediate tubal removal. They removed my left fallopian tube. I haven't yet been back to the doctor to get my stitches out and talk about things, but we're so scared I won't be able to carry a successful full term pregnancy again. It is so nice to hear some successful stories on here.

Comment from: tatyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have always wanted to have a baby since I got married. It has been a whole year of trying to get pregnant until finally I became pregnant. I think it took long because of the birth control methods. When I first found out I was pregnant I was at the clinic in which I was seen in the emergency side for cramps and brown spotting. When the doctor told me I was pregnant I couldn't believe it, I was so happy I couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband. Even though I was happy I was still shocked when the doctor told me that I could be having a miscarriage. She then told me to come back for blood tests. Three days later I got up to use the bathroom and I had the worst abdominal pain ever, it followed down to my pelvic area and my back was aching. The next thing I remember is my husband trying to wake me up. My husband called the ambulance and was rushed into the ER. It was the longest 11 hours of my life. After many tests and ultra sounds the doctor then told me I had to have emergency surgery because I had some internal bleeding. 2 hours later the surgery was over and the nurses were very comforting. They told me everything went well and that the other tube and my eggs appeared to look healthy. They told me that I can get pregnant again, but I know that the chances of having another ectopic is possible because the doctor warned me. It has been almost a week and I'm recovering well. I have a follow up soon and I will be asking a lot of questions. I am not going to give up on getting pregnant, but it is going to take time to heal!

Comment from: Angel0576, 35-44 (Patient) Published: November 04

I had an ectopic pregnancy that required surgery last week. I was seven weeks pregnant through IVF. I started having brownish discharge around four weeks and some red spotting here and there, but the brown discharge never went away. When I went in for the ultrasound to hear the heart beat is when they discovered it was ectopic. I cannot describe the emotional pain that was involved with all of this and right now I am still numb from it all. I never had pain besides a sharp cramp here and there and I was very lucky they detected it when they did. I do not wish this on anyone as it is very hard to handle but each day is a new day and another day closer to trying to conceive again.

Comment from: ANGEL, Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Abdominal pain was the first symptom. I went to the hospital for a check-up and they did some tests and told me I was pregnant. After a week, I started seeing light blood. As it turns out, it was ectopic. I needed surgery immediately to avoid a rupture. I only have one Fallopian tube now.

Comment from: mmb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My period was due any day and I felt a pain on my right side of my lowe abdomen. I brushed it off as a sign that I was going to start. Two days later I felt another pain in the same area it hurt so bad I cried, I called my mother and she picked me up and went to the hopital. They ran some tests and told me I was pregnant. After running an ultrasound they determined it was an ectopic pregnancy. I had my surgery two days later.

Comment from: Gooch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had tubal ligation 16 years ago after the birth of my second son. Last week, I had a sudden onset of abdominal pain and nearly passed out while driving. I managed to get myself home, took some ibuprofen and went to bed. Within an hour, the pain was so severe, I couldn't move. I called a friend of mine who rushed over and called an ambulance. Two ultrasounds and blood work confirmed that I was pregnant and my left tube had ruptured. At one point my blood pressure was 60/45. Within an hour of diagnosis, I was rushed to the OR. I lost two liters of blood and required a blood transfusion.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for 10 months, after already having lost one pregnancy at 9 weeks we were 7 weeks pregnant this time. I was just sitting at home eating dinner and then started not feeling very well. All of a sudden it felt like I have been stabbed in the right side of my stomach. I managed to get myself to the bed where I laid in pain. After 8 long painful hours, my husband convinced me we needed an ambulance as I couldn't even sit up or move as the pain was so severe. One minute I would go from being hot and sweaty and feeling like I was going to vomit to being freezing cold. I had no idea what was happening to me. Once at the hospital the doctor thought it was my appendix, however because I was pregnant they couldn't give me much pain killers. I had an ultrasound to see what was happening and that's when they realized it was an ectopic pregnancy. They sent me straight into surgery. The doctors told me they had to cut my right fallopian tube as my egg had ruptured. They did reassure me by saying I can still get pregnant with just my left tube and they can reattach my right tube if I have any trouble. I spent 5 nights in hospital recovering and now have a scar going from the top of my belly button down to my pubic bone.

Comment from: tara7, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I first went to the doctor Nov 6th after having weeks of stinging when I urinated. A couple days prior I was waking up in the morning with horrible pains in my abdomen, vagina, and even my bowels. But the pain eventually went away so I thought nothing of it until the morning of Nov 6th the pain wouldn't go away. So I scheduled an apt with my gyno thinking I had a UTI. After testing I found out I was pregnant. And after more testing, they THOUGHT it could be ectopic but didn't want to say yes or no. They monitored my blood levels, and 3 days later they said I was having a miscarriage. 2 weeks later Nov 20th I went to the ER with horrible pains once again that I couldn't even walk. After tons of testing, and pap smears and vaginal ultra sounds at the hospital it showed the mass was still in my left tube and was getting bigger. My doctor treating the pregnancy got a call and was told of what was going on and sent me HOME with pain medications at 4 in the morning. The following morning the pain was 10 times worse. I went back to the ER at 11 am and called a NEW doctor to look at my file, and I was in surgery within 1 hour of being in the hospital. I should not have had to endure the pain I went through. Emotionally and physically all because of this doctor who wanted to wait. Wait for what? Me to die? That could have happened. Thankfully, I didn't have to have a tube removed. The baby was outside of my ovary. Unfortunately even 3 months later the pain is still there. Physically and especially emotionally.

Comment from: Portia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was told that I am 19 weeks pregnant and I have to have surgery to have the baby removed. I have never missed a period and I was not aware that I was pregnant. The baby is not in the uterus or the fallopian tubes.

Comment from: cwalkben, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

After trying to conceive for what seemed like forever, I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant with my second child. A week later I noticed I was spotting but I could not tell were the bleeding was coming from. The next morning after a painful night's rest, I got up and went to the bathroom thinking I was miscarrying. I went to the ER and after 11 hours and two ultra sounds, it was discovered that the pregnancy was ectopic. An emergency surgery was scheduled and the pregnancy was removed from my left tube. The doctors said there was a 10 percent chance of it happening again, and that I would be able to conceive again in two months. Here we go again. I have not gone to my follow up appointment, but we shall see how everything goes.

REFERENCE:

Sepilian, V.P., MD. "Ectopic Pregnancy." Medscape. Updated: Jul 05, 2016.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2041923-overview>