Viewer Comments: Eczema - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

Comment from: Ed1964, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

Only one product has ever helped my eczema; Blue Lagoon from Iceland (it must the Icelandic stuff, there are lots of other Blue Lagoons, but only this one is any good), their various products, all mineral. It's like a miracle. If you can't get it (and it is online), then try keeping your eczema dry, that's what it needs, not moisturizing, but keeping dry. Keep it out of water if you can. Water feeds the fungal yeast. It will turn to dust in a week or so. Try it, it works!

Comment from: sonya, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had eczema when I was a child which took forever to heal. Recently I wore a tight sleeve in hot weather and I developed this eczema in my mid arm. It could've been due to my type of clothing, or my sweat, or how my blouse was washed, humidity, heat, etc. Anyway, since I didn't have any medicines, I used my husband's leftover Gold Bond foot powder and to my surprise my eczema subsided, dried up, and I think I am on my way to recovery.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 27

Having never suffered nosebleeds until last summer (2013), naturally my first gusher was daunting. Like many of you, I did most things incorrectly (tilting back head choking on fast flowing blood pouring down my throat; not pinching nose or applying ice on bridge...). Finally, after daily nosebleeds--most occurring at night--awakening me from sound sleeps-- I visited an ENT physician last summer. The ENT showed me where/how to pinch my nose during nosebleeds, after which I was to BLOW OUT the extremely deep red, coagulated blood clots accumulated during pinching (very gross & frightening looking) into tissue until flow cessation. Once the bleed stopped, I was to take half a cotton ball, saturate it with Afrin, and pack it into my nose for at least 15 minutes. This contracts the vessel. This year's nosebleeds began three weeks ago for which I used the 'pinch and blow' method to stop the flow, followed by packing a saturated cotton ball in my nostril. However, I prefer witch hazel with aloe as it's homeopathic and works just as well as Afrin but without the dryness--a nosebleed's cardinal enemy.

Comment from: Nina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've had eczema most of my life. It started when I was a child during the summers, and now I am in my early 30s. It's much worse in the winters, but heavy moisturizers do help. I've been told that the cause stemmed from anything as simple as laundry soap to other things like heredity and even being allergic to my own sweat! Since I've started treatment as an adult, I've had oral steroids, which work wonders while you're actually taking them, topical creams, and even methotrexate (chemotherapy). While the steroids worked great to clear my legs and hands up for my wedding, once you stop them, the disease is back with a horrid retaliation. Currently, I'm using PUVA light treatments and they seem to work famously. The scarring hasn't subsided, but the rash, itching and oozing are gone. I go twice a week for two minutes each (literally) and everything clears up. I can usually do the light treatments for two to three weeks and then be free of any rash for a couple of months. The only bad thing is that the treatment is costly (about $90 each time) and most insurance companies don't cover it. Though most can't afford it, if you can do it once in a while, it's definitely beneficial.

My eczema began a year ago. It started with a rash around both eyes that were unbearably itchy and developed into what I guess would be one of the extreme forms of this condition. Every morning I would wake up with my eyes crusted shut, and sores that built up around my cheeks that would ooze all day. I consulted a dermatologist and my two primary care doctors, but all of the lotions, ointments and pills that they prescribed me didn't help. It came to a point where I actually became clinically depressed for a while and refused to step out of the house with my face looking as it did. At this point, patches also developed around my elbows. Things only started to turn for me when I combined the advice of my family. I started to use Cocoa Butter lotion generously. I also visited a Chinese herbal doctor at the urging of my grandmother. It was something that I was skeptical about but at that point I was desperate enough to try anything. The herbal tea that they brewed for me was absolutely vile, but it really did help to clear my skin. About a month after I kept this routine up, my cheeks were no longer oozing and the area around my eyes was clear. Today, my cheeks are still flare up with little red bumps and I have quite a bit of dryness and flaking. I'm currently using Locoid Lipocream to control the last traces of redness and irritation. I also make sure I moisturize well everyday and it's working really well in smoothing out my skin.

Comment from: bruce, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 17

I had a mild form of eczema on my leg that was getting worse. I started drinking aloe vera juice every day. It went in 3 days. I bought it from Holland and Barrett. Try it, you can't lose.

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Causes

What causes your eczema to flare up?

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?