Edema (Symptoms, Types, Treatment, Pictures)

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your edema? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Friend, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 23

I noticed my left upper foot was puffy and terribly painful to touch, also my left inner calf. I massaged leg and foot upward towards my heart with scented lotion took one Tylenol pill, and elevated leg. Massaging worked best. Pain to touch has gone away, though edema is still present but less.

Comment from: louis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Last year I was diagnosed with Cellulitis (right leg was swollen, shiny, red and it actually squeaked and I was given strong anti-biotics. It flares every now and then and I am not convinced it ever went away completely. Just hit your site and noticed this condition (EDEMA) and am now not sure if this is what I have/had? Should I go back to the Doctor? Incidentally I have suffered from years from The 'Restless Leg Syndrome.' Last August I had a Morons Neuroma removed from my left foot and am experiencing pain in toes and foot in right foot. I love to walk and I work on my feet, but I suffered from aching feet as a child, especially when I sat on a chair that was too high. After work I have to lay with my legs raised as my legs twitch, ache and are unbearable, and long journeys can be embarrassing. I have taken herbal tablets for years that give me almost instant relief (NEW ERA for aching legs and feet that contain combination P tissue, salts, Calc. fluoride, calc. phosphate, mag. phosphate.

Comment from: ECP Therapy Fan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

ECP (external counterpulsation) therapy works well to eliminate edema.

Comment from: kathyb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I wanted to share my story. I was diagnosed with interstitial lung disease likely connected with some autoimmune disease yet to be diagnosed. I was on up to 80mg prednisone since then and am now down to 20mg. I have had edema in my legs, feet and ankles for most of that time. Just about three weeks ago I started a gluten-free diet and all the edema is gone. It's like a miracle. Do some research about protein malabsorption and edema. I'm not sure what the connection is, but my shoes fit again and my legs, face and hands are back to normal.

Comment from: Trimmah, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Compression stockings, diuretics and removing salt from my diet have been very helpful in controlling my edema.

Comment from: Ruth, 65-74 Female Published: April 02

My feet ankles legs swollen have heart disease and pulmonary hypertension. When the swelling starts, I take Lasix.

Comment from: wsmyth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

For my edema, medications and diet change has helped some.

Comment from: nurse4dr, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

None. My sister was diagnosed with gastric cancer 2 years ago. She had surgery and they removed her entire stomach. Now she gets edema really bad. Her legs swell up and she walks likes she on stilts (they are so heavy). They are down when she wakes up in the morning but by the time she gets up 30 minutes there back swollen again. She's taking Lasik and potassium but they don't seem to be helping at all.

REFERENCE: Sterns, RH., MD. "Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of edema in adults." UpToDate. Updated: Auug 29, 2016.
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-manifestations-and-diagnosis-of-edema-in-adults>