Edema (Symptoms, Types, Treatment, Pictures)

What was the cause of your edema? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Musashi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

Liver disease and medications to treat arthritis caused my edema.

Comment from: 7faced, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I have edema due to liver cirrhosis. My water retention is in my back, scrotum, legs, and stomach. I am currently taking conventional diuretics to help me pee and I position myself in certain angles every now and then to relieve myself of the intense water build up in my legs, etc. I hate it and my quality of life has been affected by it, and want to get better. I say no to salt as it is no good for this sickness. Lessen your fluid intake and when you do decide to get some fluids drink something healthy like watermelon juice, etc., so you get nutrients and rehydration at the same time.

Comment from: ashley folks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have edema due to hypertension. I have yet to go to the doctor to be treated since my emergency room visit 2 months ago. Will do that soon.

Comment from: ce54, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had a partial replacement on my left shoulder after a fall. Doctor thought it was cellulitis but it ended up being peripheral edema on my right leg and foot. I never had it before, must have been the trauma from the fall or surgery.

Comment from: Betty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am being treated for melanoma. I went on a weekend trip. Within two weeks the leg affected with melanoma had an increase in edema. I've gained 10 pound in one leg.

Comment from: Bucra, (Patient) Published: May 30

COPD was the cause of my edema.

Comment from: wsmyth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Heart failure was the cause of my edema.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My facial edema caused by allergic reaction to a facial cleanser.

Comment from: JPH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I strained my ankle in aerobics when I was 18 years old, and it swelled badly and was very painful. The injury healed, but the edema never went away. I had a scan where I was injected with a radioactive liquid, then scanned several times over 2 hours. This showed that lymph fluid was not being returned back up my leg properly, but it was not a bad enough case to try risky surgical repair of the lymph valve or vessels. I am now 41, and it has been gradually getting worse over the years. It is now permanently swollen, even when I wake up in the morning, and I've given up wearing skirts because I got fed up with people asking what was wrong with my foot and ankle all the time! Would love to know if anyone had similar problem and found a 'cure'.

• Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your edema?

Post View 8 Comments
  • Edema - Experience

Please share your experience with edema.

Post View 1 Comment
  • Edema - Treatment

What type of edema do you have, and what treatments have been effective?

Post View 1 Comment

REFERENCE: Sterns, RH., MD. "Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of edema in adults." UpToDate. Updated: Auug 29, 2016.
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-manifestations-and-diagnosis-of-edema-in-adults>