Electrolytes

Have you experienced sodium imbalance? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mizzymair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was told I had low sodium, vitamin D and below recommended levels of magnesium. I got double pneumonia and dropped boiling water on my legs due to muscle weakness. I don't know what hurt more, the burns or my prolonged screaming. I spent 6 weeks in hospital with the chest and a further week for the burns. I also found it hard to stomach anything and my appetite hasn't improved this past 6 months.

Comment from: Low potassium, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My wife experiences low potassium episodes causing her irregular heartbeat, anxiety and general nervousness (widely interpreted). This is mostly observed after a vomiting, or sweating at night and sometimes without any cause (so it seems). Bi-weekly blood tests shows her level being at the low end of normal or below normal to various degree. We learn how to recognize the symptoms of hypokalemia and use German Kalinor supplement in the form of effervescent pills that dissolves in water and its effect is felt almost immediately. Too bad that in North America they offer only hard potassium pills, very hard on stomach, and preventing lying down for an hour or so after swallowing to prevent damage to esophagus (so we were told by pharmacist).

Comment from: madhukar, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 22

My father is 56 years old, he is undergoing dialysis, and he is cardio patient too (chronic kidney disease post percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty). He is suffering from electrolyte imbalance. During this period he is getting weak and he is in great confusion (behavior problem, even doesn't know what he is speaking, and speaking to people who don't exist.

Comment from: Lyr, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I have always been a thirsty person but since running a marathon I have thirst plus extreme fatigue. I wonder if this could be diabetes insipidus causing sodium imbalance.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

REFERENCE:

Goldman, Lee, MD, and Denny Ausiello, MD. Cecil Textbook of Medicine. 23rd edition. Saunders Elsevier. 2008