Enlarged Prostate

Please describe your experience with an enlarged prostate. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Time, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I just wanted to say something positive about all this. I went to my doctor 2 weeks ago with symptoms of frequent urination and feeling tired because of interrupted sleep. Because of my age he suggested a prostate exam, days later I was with a specialist and the week after that had TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) surgery. I checked the videos on google to see what was involved (don't do that), and I read about recovery, etc. I am here to tell you that it was not as dramatic as I was led to believe, I had a couple of pain killers, nurses insisted, I didn't feel I needed them. I got home Thursday and surgery was Tuesday. Okay, I am tired but I have been sitting around in a hospital. Tonight I sleep in my own bed, no pain killers and glad that I have done it. I am still waiting for the cancer test results which will be due in a few days. Guys, get checked and get the surgery done. So far as I can tell I am one of the lucky ones, but I also think that is due to the surgeon who insisted I keep the catheter in for two days. Good luck with your treatment.

Comment from: papa pepp, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had an enlarged prostate and after many tests and biopsy it turned out to be Gleason 6 cancer, so I had it removed. Now I am dealing with incontinence.

Comment from: cherokee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

With enlarged prostate I have trouble starting to urinate; it stops and goes. I am going a lot in small amounts.

Comment from: Jeene john, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My father has been suffering from hemiplegia since last 8 years. Because of his stubborn behavior we were unable to give medical treatment. Now, present situation of his is too bad. He has not lain on bed for sleep for 2 years now. He had anemia problem and was hospitalized. While doing this assistant doctors took him straight in ICCU and laid him on bed. They did whole body checkup and explained many things. They also informed us about his enlarged prostate. I am worried about its effects on a diabetic and hemiplegic person and chances of his recovery.

Comment from: Tim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Sometimes I would have frequent urination with a relatively enough quantity of urine, and sometimes I would have difficulty in urinating. I did not consider it a big deal, I was thinking it might be due to my food intakes, until I experienced a sharp and very severe pain at my lower back for a couple of days. I recollected that was the second time, and it was very difficult for me to get up from the bed and also to walk around. Immediately I explained it to my doctor he asked me to undergo two different tests including a blood test, and enlarged prostate was found.

Comment from: marym, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My husband is on Flomax for an enlarged prostate. He's been experiencing double vision.

Comment from: Goosefarm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

After experiencing difficulty urinating the first few years ago, finding any info to help with keeping my prostate healthy was sparse. It is frustrating that men have this issue by the tens of thousands and there are no clear methods of treatment. Persistence on my part (at times overwhelming and frustrating) I found some natural remedies to keep my enlarged prostate at bay.

• Enlarged Prostate - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with an enlarged prostate?

Post View 19 Comments
  • Enlarged Prostate - Diagnosis

How was your enlarged prostate diagnosed?

Post View 7 Comments
  • Enlarged Prostate - Treatment

What was the treatment for your enlarged prostate?

Post View 4 Comments
  • Enlarged Prostate - Cause

Please describe the cause of your enlarged prostate.

Post View 1 Comment

REFERENCE:

Deters, L. A., et al. "Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy." Medscape.com. Oct. 12, 2015.