Viewer Comments: Enlarged Prostate - Symptoms

Enlarged Prostate (BPH): Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Enlarged Prostate:

Enlarged Prostate - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with an enlarged prostate?

Comment from: Al A., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I started having night sweat and minor high temperature a few months ago and continued to go to urinate and did not know what was wrong. I went to the doctor, he checked me up and the urine test came negative and PSA was 6.1. So I was treated for enlarged prostate with Flomax which did not work for me. After a few weeks I had painful ejaculations and pain in the prostate. I was diagnosed with prostatitis. I was on Cipro for 4 weeks and things are now improving. Keep your healthy diet, drink a lot of water, and make sure your rectum is clean with no hemorrhoids because this can enlarge your prostate.

Comment from: ernie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have experienced frequent urination problems for years. Recently, while driving in late January, I experienced a severe urge to urinate. I stopped to alleviate. I was only able to slowly urinate. About 15 to 30 minutes later I had the same problem. After small urination I felt relieved. I made it to where our daughter lives. I developed a 101 fever. Then I couldn't urinate, and went to the emergency room. They did bloodwork and inserted a catheter. I took Cipro and cephalexin and the infection cleared up. I went back to my urologist. I am taking tamsulosin and finasteride, and scheduled for surgery in April. I still have catheter. Infection is not due to urinary tract infection; possibly, infection in other parts of body or prostatitis.

Comment from: Wayne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have not yet been diagnosed with enlarged prostate however my doctor seems to think that could be the cause of my symptoms. I have soreness and tingling sensation during and after urination. When I want to go I can't hold it for too long. I had blood in urine on one occasion. I am due to go for a scan and examination (cystoscopy) in the next few days. I also have erection problems since finding blood in urine.

Comment from: filemon, 75 or over (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with grade 1 enlarged prostate. Before I was admitted, I urinated with blood and after 4 days of hospitalization I was discharged and take some home medicine.

Comment from: John, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I get up 3 to 5 times a night due to enlarged prostate. I used Urinozinc for 6 weeks and followed that with 6 weeks using Super Beta Prostate. I took one pill twice a day as prescribed. Neither medicine helped one iota. Since all these medicines have essentially the same ingredients, I can only assume they are all a scam.

Comment from: audant, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had an enlarge prostate for a number of years. It was found through a routine prostate cancer screening. I have no urine problems, only erection and ejaculation problems.

Comment from: Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

With no warning I was unable to empty my bladder after needing to wait to use the restroom for 15 minutes. I have BPH, but did not have issues. I am going to have the green laser surgery this week.

Comment from: Sam, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I am suffering from pain on my left side when I sit down. I also have to hurry to the bathroom just to keep from wetting myself.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

With my enlarged prostate, I had frequent urination at night. I filled urine collector four times in two nights. I urinated in bed three times in one month, which has never happened since childhood. I have to hold my penis to hold back urination.

Comment from: skittles, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

With my enlarged prostate, I have urinary incontinence, I wake up too many time during the night to use the bathroom, and I'm plagued by strong urges.

Must Read Articles Related to Enlarged Prostate

Prostate Cancer
Prostate Cancer Risk factors for prostate cancer include:
  • advanced age,
  • race,
  • family history,
  • infection with learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Enlarged Prostate:

Enlarged Prostate - Diagnosis

How was your enlarged prostate diagnosed?

Enlarged Prostate - Treatment

What was the treatment for your enlarged prostate?

Enlarged Prostate - Experience

Please describe your experience with an enlarged prostate.

Enlarged Prostate - Cause

Please describe the cause of your enlarged prostate.