Enlarged Prostate

What were the symptoms you experienced with an enlarged prostate? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Al A., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I started having night sweat and minor high temperature a few months ago and continued to go to urinate and did not know what was wrong. I went to the doctor, he checked me up and the urine test came negative and PSA was 6.1. So I was treated for enlarged prostate with Flomax which did not work for me. After a few weeks I had painful ejaculations and pain in the prostate. I was diagnosed with prostatitis. I was on Cipro for 4 weeks and things are now improving. Keep your healthy diet, drink a lot of water, and make sure your rectum is clean with no hemorrhoids because this can enlarge your prostate.

Comment from: ernie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have experienced frequent urination problems for years. Recently, while driving in late January, I experienced a severe urge to urinate. I stopped to alleviate. I was only able to slowly urinate. About 15 to 30 minutes later I had the same problem. After small urination I felt relieved. I made it to where our daughter lives. I developed a 101 fever. Then I couldn't urinate, and went to the emergency room. They did bloodwork and inserted a catheter. I took Cipro and cephalexin and the infection cleared up. I went back to my urologist. I am taking tamsulosin and finasteride, and scheduled for surgery in April. I still have catheter. Infection is not due to urinary tract infection; possibly, infection in other parts of body or prostatitis.

Comment from: Wayne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have not yet been diagnosed with enlarged prostate however my doctor seems to think that could be the cause of my symptoms. I have soreness and tingling sensation during and after urination. When I want to go I can't hold it for too long. I had blood in urine on one occasion. I am due to go for a scan and examination (cystoscopy) in the next few days. I also have erection problems since finding blood in urine.

Comment from: filemon, 75 or over (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with grade 1 enlarged prostate. Before I was admitted, I urinated with blood and after 4 days of hospitalization I was discharged and take some home medicine.

Comment from: Sheine, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I feel like I have some symptoms for enlarged prostate like frequent urination, pain in rectum and genital area. I've visited the doctor and he did a test but it came negative, and he said I'm still young to have benign prostatic hyperplasia; I am 28 year old.

Comment from: John, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I get up 3 to 5 times a night due to enlarged prostate. I used Urinozinc for 6 weeks and followed that with 6 weeks using Super Beta Prostate. I took one pill twice a day as prescribed. Neither medicine helped one iota. Since all these medicines have essentially the same ingredients, I can only assume they are all a scam.

Comment from: audant, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had an enlarge prostate for a number of years. It was found through a routine prostate cancer screening. I have no urine problems, only erection and ejaculation problems.

Comment from: Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

With no warning I was unable to empty my bladder after needing to wait to use the restroom for 15 minutes. I have BPH, but did not have issues. I am going to have the green laser surgery this week.

Comment from: Sam, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I am suffering from pain on my left side when I sit down. I also have to hurry to the bathroom just to keep from wetting myself.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

With my enlarged prostate, I had frequent urination at night. I filled urine collector four times in two nights. I urinated in bed three times in one month, which has never happened since childhood. I have to hold my penis to hold back urination.

Comment from: skittles, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

With my enlarged prostate, I have urinary incontinence, I wake up too many time during the night to use the bathroom, and I'm plagued by strong urges.

Comment from: Parvis, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am 71 years old and have been having enlarged prostate for more than 15 years. My recent experience has been unbearable. My prostate was HUGE. My doctor removed more than 190 grams. Since then, my recovery has been excellent. I urinate freely and had intercourse on 8th day. aNow I am on my 20th day very active and all systems are running very well.

Comment from: DISABLED VET, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

My symptoms began about a year ago that I simply didn't understand. I would wake from a deep sleep to rush painfully to the bathroom with what felt like a full bladder. Over the past few months it has gotten so bad that I would stand in the bathroom for 20 min. with a painfully full bladder that felt like a knife stabbing me through the back just waiting and pushing yet no results and finally a small 6 min. stream would give great relief. And to my dismay, 15 min. later it starts all over again.

Comment from: Reg, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I have suffered BHP for 18 months now and after taking drugs for 12 months it has eased the problem quite a bit. The reason for this comment is I fail to understand why the symptoms almost disappear during the warmer weather months, like April to November. Also, on occasion when I have the last small drink at 6pm I am up every hour during the night and urinating each time. Your comments would be helpful. Reg

Comment from: Sharing Info, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

For my enlarged prostate, my symptoms were a sudden, painful urge to urinate. Really, rather than a feeling coming on like it normally would, I have the sudden urge to go.

Comment from: weasl, 35-44 Male Published: March 01

Having an enlarged prostate feels like having to go all the time, especially at night. Also, after I go, there is some leakage after I'm done. I don't really have any trouble starting and stopping, but it's so hard to believe that my prostate is enlarged.

Comment from: sufferer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

Before I learned I had an enlarged prostate, I had a weak stream of urine; difficulty starting urination; dribbling of urine, especially after urinating; a sense of not fully emptying the bladder; leaking of urine; painful ejaculation and delay of emission of semen.

Comment from: londoner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I just had blood test for my prostate and it was 1.4 and my urine test was fine but I am still finding that when go urinate I am still getting this burning.

Comment from: healthfirst, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I knew someone with an enlarged prostate. He had sudden and frequent urination during the night. During the day, he would dribble and come home with a strong smell of urine in his pants. During intimacy he once urinated uncontrollably. It was really embarrassing for him. I eventually bought him the bed pads and some incontinence pads for his underwear. He is depressed and needs help. He did eventually have the surgery but it's too soon to report the results. He complains that the results are not staggering and that he had learned to live with the e problem. He also had undergone a vasectomy in 2006 and was having ED issues, but in denial. Hopefully, the prostate surgery will eliminate some of his many issues.

• Enlarged Prostate - Diagnosis

How was your enlarged prostate diagnosed?

Post View 7 Comments
  • Enlarged Prostate - Treatment

What was the treatment for your enlarged prostate?

Post View 4 Comments
  • Enlarged Prostate - Experience

Please describe your experience with an enlarged prostate.

Post View 7 Comments
  • Enlarged Prostate - Cause

Please describe the cause of your enlarged prostate.

Post View 1 Comment

REFERENCE:

Deters, L. A., et al. "Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy." Medscape.com. Oct. 12, 2015.