Must Read Articles:
Seizures and FeverFebrile seizures, also known as convulsions, body spasms, or shaking, occur mainly in children and are caused by fever. (Febrile is derived from the Latin febris, meaning fever.)
Periodic Limb Movement DisorderPeriodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is repetitive cramping or jerking of the legs during sleep. It's related to restless leg syndrome, but it is a distinct disorder. Learn about treatment and remedies.
Wilderness: SeizureEpilepsy (seizure disorders) is a neurological condition that causes a series of jerking movements and loss of consciousness. Seizures are caused by disordered electrical activity in the brain rooted in a seizure disorder like epilepsy or a number of other primary causes. Seizures can be managed with medication.
Seizures EmergenciesSeizures refer to uncontrolled electrical activity in the brain. Symptoms of seizures range from mild to severe and can lead to death. A number of factors can lead to seizures including brain tumor, injury, and fever. Antiseizure medications may help prevent seizures.
Seizures in ChildrenA seizure occurs when the brain functions abnormally, and can affect different parts of the brain and body. The types of seizures which most often occur in children are febrile, neonatal, and epileptic. Seizures may be partial or general. Treatment depends on the underlying cause of the seizures.
What Is the Function of Endocannabinoids?Endocannabinoids are natural cannabis-like lipid-based neurotransmitters produced by the human body. The endocannabinoid system was discovered in the 1990s by scientists studying tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a compound found in cannabis (marijuana). It is believed cannabis affects humans by mimicking our naturally produced endocannabinoids. The human endocannabinoid system keeps emotional, cognitive, and physiological functions in homeostasis or balance.
Expert Views and News
- Seizure Control in Resistant Epilepsy
- Panel Backs Cannabis Drug for Severe Epilepsy
- Febrile Seizures, Mental Illness, Epilepsy
- FDA Clears Epilepsy Smartwatch for Use in Kids
- DEA Reschedules CBD Drug for Epilepsy
- FDA Backs Cannabis Drug for Severe Epilepsy
- Epilepsy Treatment Outcomes Unchanged
- Lamotrigine, Levetiracetam Top AEDs in Pregnancy
- When Medical Marijuana Doesn't Work
- Epilepsy Drug Fycompa Approved by FDA
- Epilepsy Drug Gabapentin Calms Chronic Cough
- Predicting Success Rates for Epilepsy Drugs
- No Rise in Seizure Risk With MMRV Booster Vaccine
- Surgery Often an Overlooked Option for Epilepsy
- Combo Vaccine May Raise Babies' Risk for Fever-Caused Seizures
- Surgery Keeps Many Epilepsy Patients Seizure-Free
- Precautions Cut Sudden Death Risk of Epilepsy
- Low Birth Defect Risk From Newer Epilepsy Drugs
- New Drug May Help Control Epilepsy Seizures
- Epileptic Kids Have More Psychiatric Symptoms
- Flu Vaccine: Infant Febrile Seizures Reported
- Epilepsy Drug in Pregnancy Raises Spina Bifida Risk
Epilepsy Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Pregabalin is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It works by slowing down impulses in the brain that cause seizures. Pregabalin also aff...learn more »
Topiramate is a seizure medicine, also called an anticonvulsant. Topiramate is used to treat seizures in adults and children who are at least 2 years old. ...learn more »
Fosphenytoin is an anticonvulsant that works by slowing down impulses in the brain that cause seizures...learn more »
Divalproex sodium affects chemicals in the body that may be involved in causing seizures...learn more »
Gabapentin is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures ...learn more »
Ethosuximide is an anti-epileptic medication, also called an anticonvulsant...learn more »
Clorazepate is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peen). Clorazepate affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced and cause anxiety or seizures./...learn more »
Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peen) that affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced. Clonazepam is also a seizure medicine, ...learn more »
Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peen). Lorazepam affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with anxiety...learn more »
Valproic acid affects chemicals in the body that may be involved in causing seizures...learn more »