Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis)

What treatment has been effective for your blepharitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: LinLivesInParadise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

A while back I scratched my right eyelid with an eye shadow tool. Next day my eyes were itching along with the eyelids. Eye doctor prescribed Pataday 0.2 eye drops, extremely expensive ($45 with insurance, $190 without it), and very tiny bottle, too. Doctor said I had blepharitis. When I looked online, I didn't have all the symptoms like crusty eyes in the morning and some swelling. The thing I noticed the most was that my eyelids were brown and a bit swollen. I did what she told me, no makeup, eye washes, etc. I became rather depressed because I wear a lot of makeup. After the first week, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I went out and bought all Almay and Neutrogena eye shadow, pencils, mascara, etc. I never went without makeup unless I was home in bed sick. I noticed the week I wasn't wearing any, my eyes were very dry and didn't tear. Well, I went back to a full set of eye makeup and the symptoms are just about gone after two days. I noticed my tearing and blinking was back to normal. So, I say, put on a bunch of hypoallergenic makeup and see what happens! I bought OCuSOFT lid scrub plus disposable leave on wipes. I put that on first then full make up. I don't know if the mascara keeps the base of the lashes moist or free of flakes or what. But, it worked for me.

Comment from: juniemoon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I was suffering from terrible blepharitis and was advised lid hygiene and antibiotic ointment. I used them for 4 years but had very little relief. One day when out of town, at a hotel I did not have any medicine with me and the itching was too much. I found a tube of micanozole skin ointment of my friend which i rubbed on my lids. Next morning there was no itching. So I continued the same for 1 week and i totally got rid of it. Even my thickened lids became normal. It's been 10 years since and I have not had that problem again. Blepharitis could be of fungal origin also.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have blepharatis. I take eye drops 3 times a day.

Comment from: Patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

After tearing down some old plaster walls I experienced a terrible inflammation and itching on my eyelids. Traditional treatments (baby shampoo wash) did not help. I tried tea tree oil soap, washing my eyelids a few times a day as needed, did not wear any eye makeup and finally resolved the problem. I also used the mildest astringent to clean my eyelids (Clinique#1) being careful not to get in my eyes. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Jim A, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I've had blepharitis for over 12 years. I keep it under control by washing my eyes 3 or 4 times a day with baby shampoo. If I forget even one time it flares up with irritation, pain and redness. I'm 66.

Comment from: unclees, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 14

An Ophthalmologist that I had visited several years ago advised to put a few drops of non-irritating baby shampoo into a half-cup of warm water and with some cotton balls gently wipe each lid. Do this several times a day, especially when waking. I found that it works for me.

REFERENCE: