Viewer Comments: Facial Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Facial Fracture:

Facial Fracture - Causes

What caused your facial fracture?

Comment from: Coldy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I fell off my bicycle and landed on my arm, which fractured my wrist and elbow. Then I landed on my face, which tore open my chin, requiring 4 stitches. I was knocked out for maybe 30 seconds and I do not remember anything about the accident. The emergency room did a CT scan, but did not diagnose concussion which I found out about 9 days later. I was wearing sunglasses which hit my cheekbone, and fractured it (undiagnosed). The bruising extended from the eye down the side of my face to my chin. Three months later I still have tenderness on my cheek and dark bruising. Yesterday, grey bruising appeared and extended down my face, into my neck. I'm not sure when I can expect full recovery. Perhaps it is my age that is slowing the recovery, especially the bruising.

Comment from: Dojomom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Yesterday, I fell and landed on my face in the gravel. I looked like terrible, but the pain has subsided today. It is still swollen and tender around the left eye and cheekbone. My nose bled, and I had trouble breathing, but breathing is ok today. I can move my mouth and smile again. I may have had a concussion too, so my daughter stayed with me and kept me awake and watched me overnight. After reading the information on this page, it seems that I don't have any of the more serious symptoms. My daughter is still here, so I'll have her watch me.

Comment from: Williams, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I've had four ear infections over 2 years, only in my right ear. I fractured my right jaw in 1998. I have numbness on the right side of my face, eye sensitivity, headaches every day. I wonder if the fracture to the right side of my face could cause all these infections, only to the right ear.

Must Read Articles Related to Facial Fracture

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan What is a CT scan? Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are important diagnostic tools for a variety of medical conditions. Some areas of the body frequentl...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Facial Fracture:

Facial Fracture - Treatment

Tell us about your treatment regimen for your facial fracture.