Fainting Self-Care at Home
- If possible, help the person who has fainted to the ground to minimize injury.
- Stimulate the person vigorously (yelling, briskly tapping). Call 911 immediately if the person does not respond.
- Check for a pulse and begin CPR, if needed.
- After the person recovers, encourage him or her to lie down until medical help arrives. Even if you believe the cause of the fainting is harmless, have the person lie down for 15-20 minutes before attempting to get up again.
- Ask about any persistent symptoms, such as headache, back pain, chest pain, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, weakness, or loss of function, because these may indicate a life-threatening cause of the fainting.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/27/2016
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting: