Fainting

Please describe your experience with fainting. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

Two months ago my forehead was extremely hot suddenly. I passed out, don’t know for how long, but when I woke up I was fine. It has never happened before or since.

Comment from: Kris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

Lately I have been so tired in the morning, my vision is messed up like I have to have one eye shut, and it lasts for an hour or so. Then, at night I have long blackouts where I apparently move things, like the salt shaker for example, and when I come to they are all on the counter in front of me. Then I have been fainting or having a seizure and falling hard. I only wake up when I fall because of the pain. I have no clue what is happening to me. It has happened every night for a couple weeks.

Comment from: Tayla, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 05

This is the second time this has happened. My partner cut his hand and it was all good at the time and he thought nothing of it. Over two hours later, he is in the shower, taking the Band-Aid off, the cut is fine, there is no blood, and it is tiny. A few moments later he starts to feel dizzy and sits down. Within less than a minute he faints and is jolting but this is because he was sitting up and not lying down. He comes to, a few minutes later, and is fine. But it only occurs to cuts in his hand.

Comment from: Hiya, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 31

Last year I had a serious injury. I walked into Accident and Emergency and was put on a trolley. I could feel myself getting tired, and fainted. Next thing I know the doctor asked me how my arm was. I could not open my eyes, just gave a response. Next thing I had spots in my eyes, then I heard the doctor shout, ‘stay with me.’ I was gone, to be shouted at again, ‘right, I’m moving you.’ I was awake for a few minutes then he said, ‘I'm going to give you some oxygen,’ and it was lights out again.

Comment from: PartAnxietyGirl44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have passed out a lot lately. The very last time of fainting, honestly, I don’t remember it. There have been various times that I don’t remember it happening, or someone trying to wake me or whatever. The very first time was at my job. I started feeling very odd. Noises and store music began to fade. I was at the cash register and I hollered over to another girl, well, sort of... I tried yelling and calling out her name. Then I woke to people standing around me. I can’t remember how long I was out.

Comment from: -R.-, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 17

My lungs credit my subconscious one portion of air per each inhale; debiting upon exhale; expecting a good balance of aery standing. Moreover, my subconscious, at times, breathes shallowly, landing itself in air debt. Paying the piper, it starts a gulping deep breath, as it arches my spine, shoulders, and head backwards. With so much air trapped, while arching backwards, if I continue, I faint! This is the reason behind my fainting. I hope it helps.

Comment from: Foxy24f, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It started around Thanksgiving and I noticed that sometimes I just couldn't keep my eyes open. Then I started having these fainting episodes of being perfectly fine one moment and waking up hours later not having a clue of where I am, everything fuzzy, and then it starts coming back to me. Now it's happening more frequently. If someone is there, they normally can wake me up after 1 minute or so, but alone it could take 30 minutes all the way up to 3 1/2 hours. It's so scary because no warning at all!

Comment from: CitizenHP, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I’m just more prone to syncope than most. I have fainted at least a dozen times. I can feel the fainting episode coming so I can usually warn those around me. Then I am just out. Darkness. Feels like you’re asleep for days, though it’s really just a few seconds. Then eventually something or someone will wake me and I’ll slowly figure out where I am and what happened. This part is unpleasant. Like I woke from a coma. Then I usually feel a little queasy and totally exhausted the rest of the day. Quite the experience!

Comment from: Mae-alston, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I only know what I was told about my fainting. I remember, sleeping and waking up around 4:44 am. I left my lights on so I turned them off, watched a little TV, smoked, and went to bed around 5:30 am. I was alert once on the ambulance. I didn't know what happened. My mom said she heard a bang and asked if I was ok, and I didn't respond. Then I started making noises and she found me on the floor shaking. I couldn't walk or form sentences. I have a huge knot on my head with missing skin.

SLIDESHOW

Tinnitus: Why Are My Ears Ringing? See Slideshow
Comment from: Lady , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

After a long day at work and experiencing some anxiety about lower back pain I was feeling, my vision began to blur/appear as white fog. I was sitting in my car, parked. I called a friend and said I didn’t feel right, as I could hardly speak, and to have someone come check on me. I saw a neighbor and approached her and fainting, collapsed to the ground. I immediately began dreaming, there were two or three guys around me as I was on the ground. The neighbor woke me up and I stumbled back into my house.

Comment from: Pr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I'm not sure if my fainting was because I got up from where I was sitting suddenly, but as soon as I took 3 steps I realized I had fallen on my knees as I was waking. My body began breathing in a manner where my body was rocking forward exactly like a baby when they're crawling. I wasn't crawling, it was like my body wanted to move but I couldn't; simply rocking back and forth as I felt myself breathing through my mouth. In less than 5 seconds I got up because I was embarrassed that had happened.

Comment from: Molly67, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

While taking care of my aging parents and under stress, I was on the phone talking about them when I woke up face down under the dining table. I had fainted and my cheekbone had hit the edge of the table. I went to the emergency room and stayed overnight. Many tests, and nothing found. I had a black eye that was 1/2 of my face. Two weeks later, it happened again but I felt it coming and fell onto an ottoman. I came close to fainting many other times and had to stop driving. Feels like I am dying, checking out - just terrifying!

Comment from: kristen2027, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant. I was standing in the living room when all of a sudden it felt like someone pushed my head really hard to the left, only it wasn’t a push outside my head, it was inside my head. I was able to catch myself before I went down hard and I didn’t fully lose consciousness. I don’t know what would cause this fainting spell. it was like someone pushed my brain.

Comment from: Rose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had occasional fainting episodes for a couple of months. Then one evening with no warning I blacked out, went to the hospital and spent the night being monitored, then a Holter monitor for 24 hours at home. All ok and the doctor assumed it to be BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), and two months went by with no issues. I got up to use the washroom one night and found myself on the floor. When I came to, I was hallucinating my surroundings, yelled for mom, finally I turned around and recognized my bedroom, but couldn’t figure why I was on floor or why the apartment was so different.

Comment from: GKS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I was extremely thirsty and had a glass of water before going to bed. I was sleeping on the floor while watching TV in the family room. Around 3.30 am I felt really thirsty. I got up quickly and had a glass of water in the kitchen. After drinking the water I felt dizzy and fainted. I woke up within a minute and saw my wife and kids panicked and calling 911. I wondered what had happened. My wife asked if I was ok and then calmed me down. I felt as if I had a really good sleep.

Comment from: Sophie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I have fainted multiple times in my life, I'd say it occurs every 3 to 4 years. Circumstances have all been very different. I want here to describe the feeling that I have while I am unconscious, because it is a very distressing experience for me. I'd say the closest thing I can compare it with is a bad trip (from drugs). My brain is extremely stimulated and I have no control on it, like dreaming at 200 m/h. I feel very anxious and usually wake up soon after. A few seconds passed out feels like hours.

Comment from: Roxxane S, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I was walking to my kitchen in the morning. I started to feel, kind of like that feeling you get when you stand up too quickly and things start to go grey. Well, that was happening so I stopped, thinking it'd go away in a minute like usual. Then everything went black and my mind couldn't focus on one thing. There was a loud crash, I remember thinking something just happened outside. Then my vision started to come back and it felt like I was floating. Nope, I was on the floor after fainting. Didn't feel anything, but got bruised.

Comment from: Kk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had just smoked, got in the shower with my boyfriend and I laid my head on his chest. My eyes were open and everything was getting black and the bathroom fan was getting loud. I was fighting the blackness because I know this wasn’t normal and all of a sudden it was all black and loud and I woke up to my boyfriend looking down on me asking me if I was okay because I had fainted, fallen in the bathtub and started twitching for a couple seconds.

QUESTION

What is vertigo? See Answer
Comment from: someone , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

While I was in the process of fainting, I saw a bunch of memories of thoughts that I had before I fainted, pass in front of me in a blurry vision. It kind of felt like I was high on some drugs or something, however I wasn’t. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: Wobble knees , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I saw dark static-like dots, felt winded, and my knees became weak. I remember fainting and falling to the ground but I didn’t have the strength to stop it. I was phasing in and out, blind, I heard people around me but I couldn’t respond. I tried to stand up and passed out again. This time I had a vivid (nonsensical) dream while collapsing, and afterwards, I remember thinking “oh good, I’m waking up”, but it was not a dream. I remember feeling like I wasn’t real.

Comment from: Tans , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had given blood around 2 pm that day, and had driven my kids around as I do. I had dinner at 7 and fell asleep on the couch at 10 so I went to bed. Five minutes later my dog was crying so I put him out. I was waiting at the door and felt really tired and a bit sick. I decided to head back to bed. Next minute I woke up on the floor and I could hear my daughter talking. I felt the cold floor underneath. It was a weird situation and I think I moaned something when I fainted, because they came over and helped me up.

Comment from: Fluffypikachu19, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have fainted before, and I do feel lightheaded and weak when I stand too long. I get very sweaty, bursts of adrenaline, and my hearing gets quiet and fuzzy. I feel like I have to scratch or move my body to help keep it from happening. What triggers this is when I think too deep about death/human things, it is hard to explain.

Comment from: RyanMiddo95, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

This happened this morning at work on Halloween (31/09/2019). I was getting my face painted, halfway through getting it done I asked to stop for a minute. At first I thought it was my anxiety kicking in because I felt pretty sick. But then I started to get pins and needles in my arms and legs, couldn't move them and I could hardly hear or see a thing. My work colleague grabbed me some water, and then I asked to remove most of the paint. I carried on with work as normal afterwards.

Comment from: jamhead1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I am on about 10 different medicines for cirrhosis of liver, hypothyroid, hypogonadism (low testosterone injections every other week. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and auto immune diseases (psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis), for which I take 40 Humira injections every other week. This is what has been going on over last week or 2. I get these sensations whenever a fainting episode is about to appear. It usually starts in my head where it feels like I am going to faint and then it slowly starts where I fall asleep in weird positions and I sleepwalk and fall over.

Comment from: Turquoise , 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My partner went to shower after eating a large bowl of Thai soup with lots of chilies in it. I could not eat it. I heard a massive crash, so I went to him, and then another bang. He was on his back, head above body and his legs were rigid and pointing toes down, and his arms jerking. Looked like he was foaming at the mouth but there was some vomit in the bath. I rang for an ambulance and he did not regain consciousness for about 5 or 6 minutes. We went to Accident and Emergency. Heart is ok, they think it was a faint!

Comment from: Tuffy73, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

This morning I got out of bed too quickly (I guess). The next thing I know I hear the bedroom door hit the bedside table and I woke up on the floor. I was very disoriented and couldn't figure out why I was in the floor or even where I was for a moment. Then there was pain in my finger and I realized I had fainted. Very scary.

Comment from: Ducky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I have fainted a total of two, almost three times in my life. Each time was due to insufficient blood supply to my brain for one reason or another. I always start by feeling hot and cold flashes in rapid succession, followed by nausea and difficulty breathing. My vision gets clouded by static and my legs buckle and I collapse. I usually recover seconds to minutes after collapsing, because the blood supply has returned to my brain whilst I’m horizontal, but I feel weak and tired for hours after.

Comment from: Gigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I have severe pain in left hand from broken wrist that did not heal properly. Every night it happens. I got up this morning with very bad pain and felt woozy. Made my way downstairs doing what I usually do, unplugging phones and iPad, and went into the kitchen in the dark to turn on coffee and was reaching into the fridge to get creamer, and down I went fainting. Don’t remember anything except that my head bounced a couple of times on floor. Don’t know how long I was there but I remember thinking, oh god, I am lying on the cold floor.

Comment from: jetsetgrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

A few weeks ago I experienced anaphylactic shock and fainted directly after eating some non-grain granola. I believe that the culprit was flaxseeds, as I do not believe that I have ever eaten them before and I have no prior history of food allergies. I am 53 years old. The ambulance came and I passed out as they were carrying my down my steep cement stairs, I came to in the parking lot below. It felt like I had been dreaming and it was very strange. I can't quite remember the dream.

Comment from: g, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was in a cafe drinking a coffee and eating a sandwich. I started feeling quite hot, I took off my jacket, and I then started getting cold sweats and stars in my eyes. So I rested my head on the table and passed out. All I remember before fainting was seeing black, and then I saw a white tunnel or white light which I was running towards. I was suddenly screaming in my mind telling myself to wake up and to not reach the end of the tunnel, to then suddenly waking screaming out aloud, whilst people were shaking me.

Comment from: sluu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I went to sleep at about 11:00 am today and 2 hours later suddenly got up. I started shaking, feeling dizzy and I fell to the floor in a faint.

Comment from: Brittani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Just today, my blood sugar was lower than I thought, and because of this, I found myself losing my sight. So I held onto something to keep my balance, and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor, fainted. The other time, I'd thought I was at least somewhat awake, but apparently not enough to realize not only had I sunk down to the floor, I had been hitting my head on the wall. The result was I had a bit of a bad headache and my ears just hurt terribly.

Comment from: Anonymous, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was really jetlagged so I had slept for most of the day, forgetting to eat or drink. I felt tired walking to my dance class and when I started the warm up I felt terrible but thought I just hadn’t exercised in a long time so continued. I could feel my heartbeat was going crazy and it was hard to breathe and my vision started going dark around the edges. When I came around it took a second for me to see and hear properly and I was later told that I had frozen in place before fainting and collapsing.

Comment from: Mitch jw , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

Last night I was just relaxing watching TV not doing much. All of a sudden I felt a bit sick, not too bad though. Then 5 minutes later I was ready to throw up, I went and stood outside the backdoor of my house and as leaned against the wall and closed my eyes. I envisioned myself lying on the floor (what I’d see when I woke up) but in those 3 seconds I thought I was unconscious for an hour. I then woke up finally but was unable to stand or think. I became very sweaty fast even though it was wet out and end of summer.

Comment from: Eliana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

When I was 15, we did the passing out game (I know, stupid, I wish I hadn't done it), but when I passed out, I heard screaming and fire all around... almost like a small village was on fire. I don't know, but when I woke up the silence relaxed me. I found out that if my friend hadn't caught me, I would've head my hit on a sharp corner of my TV stand. So... I haven't done since.

Comment from: Worried, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My wife passed out for about 30 seconds. When she woke up she thought she was her 14 year old self and then shortly fainted again. When she woke up she was herself again but with a terrible headache. Wonder if I should be concerned that she thought she was her younger self.

Comment from: Fainted , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

My boyfriend and I were at the shops and well, we were waiting for our food. He was busy showing me something on his phone, I remember looking at it and then everything went yellow and then bright. I woke up on the floor with my boyfriend holding me. I thought I was having a nap on my couch at home and asked my boyfriend what he was doing. He told me I just slid down the side of the counter. He explained it looked like someone just turned me off and I was unconscious for about 20 to 30 seconds.

Comment from: Avery5280, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I fainted for the first time in my life today while getting my first ever mammogram at the age of 40. I remember feeling queasy in my stomach while being held tight by the mammogram machine. Next thing I knew I woke up with the technician massaging my head while I was lying on the floor. The crazy part about this experience is that when I was unconscious, I felt like I had a very restful deep sleep for 8 hours and I dreamed I was by the beach. I woke up feeling very rested and with peace.

Comment from: Gen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was sitting, looking at the computer and all of a sudden I felt very dizzy, about to faint, and things were getting black. I tried to focus and in a bit my mind cleared. I'm questioning why this happened and what I need to do.

Comment from: Stephanie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I fainted 3 times in my life and each time it occurs I never know when I am fainting, I just wake a few seconds later feeling lost and confused. My most recent one was yesterday, I got out of bed around 3 am, took four steps, and fainted without a warning. I had no idea of what happened. I woke up with a serious pain in the back of my head, and a severe headache and a back pain. My girlfriend said I did scream while I fainted but I have no idea, it’s very terrifying.

Comment from: Travis, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had epilepsy when I was young but it went away. Every time I go on a boat out on the sea or dams, I sometimes get this weird feeling, and I start feeling dizzy. Then my legs collapse and I faint, then I am fine for the whole day, I can do anything on water and it won't happen to me that day. But the next day it might happen (I have nearly drowned due to this on a water slide).

Comment from: KathyJo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

Many years ago, I was at a house party with my boyfriend. As we were saying our goodbyes I felt lightheaded and fainted on the floor. I remember feeling so at peace. I saw myself in a bed and in this dream there were people crouched beside the bed. Then there was talking that got louder and louder and I remember wishing they would leave me alone. I woke up on the floor and felt so refreshed, like I had slept for 12 hours.

Comment from: PattyB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Last night I felt feverish, and had a headache, and cold. I put a heavier material over my night clothes, and I had a blanket to give me more heat. I thought I may have a 24 hour bug. I took an Aleve and melatonin to help me sleep. I could not sleep, and perhaps had about 3 or 4 hours of sleep. I got up in the morning to get some water to drink. I felt like vomiting, with acidic taste in my mouth but nothing came out except vile tasting fluid. I filled my cup with cold mixed with hot water to drink when I slowly sank into the kitchen floor and fainted. It must have been less than a minute and I found the cup of water spilt and myself soaked.

Comment from: Ida, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have fainted many times in my life. I have experienced two types of fainting. When I stand for too long I faint, it happens quickly, I pass out, hit my head, and while out I experience nothing. When I start to recover I am aware of the pain from hitting my head and I wonder what happened, but I recover quickly and I am fine. The second type is when I faint because of my nervous system drawing all my blood to my abdomen and I feel very ill. I know I am going to faint, I then lie down on the floor, put my legs up against the wall and wait. While I am passed out, I have hundreds of images flashing extremely fast in my head. I try to make sense of what’s happening. I cannot move. After a while the images stop and I realize that I have fainted. I talk to myself in my head. You have fainted, it’s ok, just focus on your breathing it will be over soon. Just breathe, deep in, deep out, in, out. I do this till I recover and can move again. This is an awful experience, I hate it. I am starting to wonder if my brain is being damaged while being so deprived of oxygen that I see these images (normally experienced by people with near death experience). I wonder if I should maybe get an oxygen mask to put on next time it happens so that my brain can get oxygen sooner.

Comment from: Nitin Menasigi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 29. Whenever I hear the trimmer sound while trimming in saloon I faint, I have fainted 3 to 4 times. And recently I fainted while doing tattoo, it was about to finish when I started feeling suffocated and I went out and sat on the staircase. I fainted and was unconscious for a minute. When I was unconscious I could hear some factory or workshop sound. After I woke the right side part of my head pains. After resting for some time I am fine.

Comment from: x, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

Yesterday, I was working in the garden under sun shine. Though I worked (light work) about 1 hour but I was under the sun for 15 to 20 minutes. Then I came under a tree shed in the garden. I was then quite normal. I took a sip of drinking water from my friend. After that I felt uneasiness in the upper portion of my body. My vision become blurred. This situation continued for 5 or 6 minutes. After that I fainted and fell on the ground. Probably after 1 or 2 minutes I came to my senses as reported by my friend. After 10 to 15 minutes rest everything was totally normal. I feel deep acidity and irritation in my stomach. It started after drinking the water. I think that due to acidity it may have occurred.

Comment from: Tuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Several years ago I was in NE Thailand. It was a very hot day, I went with my Thai friends to a local market and ordered some food and a fruit shake. I saw some stars, and felt woozy. I tried to get up and make it to the washroom but fainted. I hit my head on the pavement and lost consciousness for just a split second. Ambulance came within minutes and I spent the night at a local Thai hospital. Outstanding care, blood work, CAT scan within 15 minutes or so. I had IV drip, etc. It hasn't happened again since. To this day, I am not sure what triggered this, could have been dehydration perhaps and possibly reaction to food. Not really sure.

Comment from: Bruce, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I've experienced 3 identical fainting episodes approximately 10 years apart for each. I believe it had something to do with the heat and dehydration. I suddenly would feel hot, sweaty and ill, and continue to pass out if standing. IV brought me back to normal each time.

Comment from: soprano, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I've fainted or near-fainted a few times in my lifetime. But two specific faints concern me. Both times I heard a loud buzzing sound. I had been on my feet, standing or moving, for a long time. Likely I was hot and tired. The first time, standing for hours in one place, I bent over and got back up much too quickly! I heard buzzing and crouched but still blacked out a few moments (friends held me). I stayed crouched until my head cleared. The second time, alone in my home, I moved too quickly (down/up) when doorbell rang and heard buzzing. I tried to lower myself but passed out. I came to on my own, bleeding from head, and called 911. No reason for faint found in hospital except 'T' trace in blood trending down. No chest pain or other warning symptom. Two subsequent faints likely from loss of blood, but I seem to be fine now. I do, however, dread hearing that buzzing sound again, and wish I knew the cause.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

I find myself forcing myself to wake up as though I am about to lose consciousness and faint while I am asleep. I have to force myself to move and it is getting harder to wake up.

Comment from: Sho, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I came down the stairs and went into the living room and just passed out.

Comment from: Rich , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I was standing, then all of a sudden I felt faint and fell to my knees. I couldn’t speak, I was dizzy and cold.

Comment from: Oliver, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 08

Fainting can be caused by an overactive vagus nerve. This can slow down digestion after a heavy meal. Blood is redirected to the stomach and gut making the blood pressure drop and you faint. Eat smaller meals, eat regularly and drink more water. Do not miss meals and then eat one big meal to make up.

Comment from: RAVI, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 17

In the night, I suddenly woke up from sleep. My stomach ached, and I wanted to go to the toilet. I went to the toilet, and near the door of the toilet, I suddenly fainted. When my wife and daughter woke me up I woke up with a fever, and sweating.

Comment from: Luther, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had a lot of fainting without any warning signs. I just all of a sudden black out.

Comment from: GroovFlowr, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was sick this past Saturday, but only a minor cold. I spent most of the day sleeping on the couch and didn't have a lot to eat or drink. Sunday morning I felt much better, had a shower and breakfast and started going about doing things at home. I sat down for a few minutes to talk to my fiancé, stood up, felt everything drain from me, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with him kneeling down beside me. I sometimes get dizzy when standing too suddenly or in too hot of a shower. I suspect that not eating much or staying hydrated all day Saturday, combined with my menstrual cycle (which started the day before I got sick and often wreaks some havoc on my body hormonally, especially with blood sugar) caused me to faint upon standing. It was my first experience with fainting. (I have passed out before from blood sugar issues, but this felt completely different and my glucose checked fine.)

Comment from: someone's wife, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I fainted just today, the second time in six months. The first time, my head felt buzzy and I was down for a bit longer. This time, I just felt dizzy and found myself on the floor. Both episodes occurred after getting up quickly from a reclined position on the couch. I make it from the living room to the kitchen before falling. I am a bulimic and have been purging frequently as of late. Dehydration is most likely the cause of my episodes.

Comment from: Dan , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I've had A-Fib for almost 15 yrs and the pre-syncope is getting more frequent. Today I had my first actual fainting spell. I get a fuzzy feeling that feels like a pressure is expanding inside me. I start to get overwhelmed by the sensation that a wave of lightheadedness is taking over. A very unpleasant feeling it doesn't hurt, but I try to fight it all the way. I try to breathe deeply, hold my breath, bend over, head between the knees, but to no avail it prevails against me. It usually just takes me to a point of near fainting and then I quickly recover. I fainted in front of several people today and they freaked. I am looking for some answers as I am certain all here are as well.

Comment from: waltecar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My experience occurred when I was admitted to the hospital ER with chest pain. I had been having chest pain off an on all day accompanied by shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The ER staff administered oxygen, 3 nitroglycerin tablets about 5 minutes apart for the chest pain in addition to 5 baby aspirin. I remember starting to feel very nauseated again and like I was going to have diarrhea along with being very short of breath. That was all I remember. I didn't know what had happened to me. When I woke up, I was sweating profusely, lying with the whole gurney tilted practically standing on my head and thought that I had fallen asleep as I had been so tired and worn out from feeling like this all day. The doctor said that my blood pressure had bottomed out because of the loss of fluid (vomiting/diarrhea) and the nitroglycerin had dilated my blood vessels quite a lot. They had Iv’s in both arms running them wide open to bring my pressure back up. Needless to say, this writer was kept in the hospital 3 days to determine the cause of the chest pain symptoms. The syncope came from the treatment they gave to relieve the chest pain that compounded the affects of the fluid loss.

Comment from: Walman234, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I don’t know why I pass out. I hope my fainting can be fixed so I can be in the hot sun again, and work and make a living for my family.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was calling my cat and I felt weird, like I was light headed and I was about to go down. Then I got to feeling better. I wonder what caused this.

Comment from: mrsbarbara, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

The person that I cared for was pregnant and did not know it. She was really passing out.

Comment from: Becky, Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have fainted a few times in the past, and I often feel dizzy and lightheaded. Today I had to have my blood taken and as soon as the needle goes in I start to feel light headed, then my eyesight starts to blur and eventually I cannot see anything. Also my hearing goes slightly and all I can hear is buzzing. This usually this only lasts a few seconds and then I return to normal. Today I fainted and when the nurse woke me up it was the strangest feeling, like I had been dreaming and I didn't understand where I was.

Comment from: Suzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

While standing at the sink to wash my hands, I looked in the mirror and saw myself very pale, the next thing I knew it was several minutes later and I was on the floor. I was awakened by my golden retriever licking my face and crying, standing over me. I took a few minutes to gather myself and then rolled over and pulled myself up. The same thing happened two weeks previous but I had time to sit down before I fainted. However, it took me am entire hour to be able to actually get up without feeling like I was going to faint. When I actually did faint, two weeks later, I had absolutely no recall of falling. It was terrifying.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm 45 and fainted for the first time last night while having dinner at an event with coworkers, sitting at a large crowded table. I guess I had about 15 seconds of warning, where I felt myself sinking uncontrollably into unconsciousness, like I was falling into myself. I guess I fought it, and I remember saying to my wife next to me that I felt I was passing out. The last thing I remember was her telling me to look up at the lights. The next I was looking wild-eyed at a circle of people around me, who'd apparently caught me as I slumped forward. Several people helped me away from the table to some lounge chairs, but I passed out again as they were sitting me down, with less warning. An ambulance was called, and several friends held up my legs as we waited for its arrival. But by the time it got there 20 or so minutes later, I felt pretty much fine. In the ER, docs took all the vitals and everything was fine. So what happened? I'd had a stressful day. I had long meeting where I gave an hour-long presentation - but this was not unusual for me. I'm an endurance cyclist, and had recently lost a bit of weight due to physical activity (not dieting). That day I'd eaten a very late lunch due to the meeting, and a very late dinner due to the event. Had a bit of wine with dinner, but I do that often. Nothing unusual. Scared my wife to death (she was thinking heart attack at first), and my coworkers were pretty freaked too. I'm a fit, active, healthy person who has never had any health problems. Wish I knew what caused it, if it’s likely to happen again, what I can do to avoid it, or if this was just some isolated, singular episode due to the perfect storm of small events that culminated in my body deciding to shut down. Either way I'm worried to go cycling, drive, or even be by myself at the moment. Guess I'll just take it easy for a few days and see what happens. Don't want to be afraid, but hard not to be.

Comment from: Evan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

The only time I have actually fainted was while reading an account of someone having a heart attack (I was in my teens at the time). He described feeling pain in the chest, at which point I started to feel a pressure in mine. I felt a strange sleepy sensation and gradually lost consciousness altogether. I suppose I wasn't unconscious for very long. When I came to, I felt weak and confused, and also, if I remember, sweaty. I was also very embarrassed. I wonder if my experience may be too unusual to be useful to other people.

Comment from: Crowbar, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was being prepared for cataract surgery. The IV had just been inserted when I began to feel faint and feel hot around the face. My pulse dropped to between 40 and 45. My normal resting pulse is 56. (At age 82 I'm still doing aerobic exercises every other day.) The cataract surgery was scrapped and I was shipped off the the emergency room at a local hospital.

Comment from: anonymousfainter, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have fainted three times that I can recall. The first time, I was in the shower, getting ready for school. The day before I hadn't gone because I had the flu, but today I was feeling better. All of a sudden, I felt dizzy. I yelled to my mom and told her I was sick. The next thing I know I'm covered in a towel, being carried by my dad to my room. My parents put my feet on a pillow and made me lie down. I felt very tired for about an hour, and later that day, I went to the doctor to see what had caused the episode. The doctors didn't know why I had fainted, so they decided to take some tests. I was beside myself when we did the blood drawing, and afterwards, I looked around, and felt dizzy. I lost my balance (I was sitting) and held on tight to my mom as she caught me. When I woke up, the nurse was completely freaked out. Apparently I had been shaking and I got very pale. The doctors were very alarmed and performed more tests, but they still couldn't figure out what had happened. The most recent episode was about a week ago. I hadn't had much of a breakfast, and I was at the allergist to figure out why I had been having hives, and to see if I was allergic to anything. They did the usual tests: blood and urine, and everything went well. After the appointment, however, my mother remembered I was late for my booster. The nurse administered the shot, and right after she took out the needle, it felt like every strand of muscle in my shoulder was being pinched very hard. I started groaning and complaining about the pain. I asked the nurse how long it would last. She started telling me but I interrupted her because I started seeing spots and her face was going black and I was feeling dizzy. I told her I was feeling woozy, and all of a sudden I was driving on a road surrounded by a forest, and I was talking to someone with an outfit very similar to one I had... and then I opened my eyes and I was facing the ceiling of the hospital room and I heard the word seizure. Apparently, my face had gone completely pale, and I sort of laid back and closed my eyes and started shaking for about three seconds, and then woke up. And I had had a dream. My ears were ringing afterwards, and I felt out of balance and tired. And we still don't know why it happens. We're just assuming it's a shock reaction to pain or loss of blood.

Comment from: cj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I fainted in the shower 4 days ago. I had gotten out of bed, went to the bathroom as usual and got into the shower. I was shampooing my hair when I felt that aura and the feeling that it was about to happen. I was so annoyed - I knew I should get out and sit down but I wanted to finish my hair and use the conditioner so I thought to myself that I just needed to hurry and rinse it out and wash and be done but next thing I knew I was sitting on the floor of the shower leaning back against the wall with water running over me. Luckily I was not hurt. I have fainted about 7 times in my life, 4 in the last 10 years. Another episode happened last year when I woke up thirsty and went downstairs to get some orange juice. I got it out of the refrigerator and started toward the counter. Next thing I knew I was on the floor with orange juice everywhere. Another time was at a crowded museum looking at a painting, and another at a winery waiting for tastings at the bar. I mentioned the juice episode to my doctor last year but he brushed it off. I have been advised by a friend who is also a Dr. to insist on tests this time, so I am calling tomorrow. I suspect dehydration which is a chronic state for me but hope it is not a heart problem or something worse.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

About 5 weeks ago I was getting ready to go to a doctor appointment with a 2 year old I take care of every day. I went to warm up my car and returned to my house, opened the door and bent over slightly to pick up the child to carry him to the car. As soon as I took one step backward I knew I was going down. I felt the feeling of numbness come over me and felt my legs giving out. I went down but did not black out. I couldn't move and my speech was slurred a little. I kept telling a 5 year old who was also with me to go get my 24 year old son from his bedroom. I kept trying to tell my son to call 911 because I thought I was having a stroke. I was able to pull myself into the house and stayed on the floor until First Responders came and helped me onto a chair. They checked me out really well and said it wasn't a stroke but said I should go to the ER. My husband took me. Doctors did EKG, monitored my heart, ultra sound on my heart, X-rays, and CAT scan. Nothing wrong was found. They decided maybe high blood pressure medicine might have caused it. I felt perfectly fine till the fainting. The 2 year old was not injured in the fall.

Comment from: Tom R, 55-64 Male Published: February 25

I’ve fainted three times in the past 12-15 weeks. I’ve had no warning other than a sensation of lightheadedness that I thought I had under control by leaning on something and letting it pass. Then --boom- I'm looking up from the floor. Luckily I haven't hurt myself other than a bruise or two, and it's never happened outside my home, like driving or something. I don't drink, or do drugs, but my blood pressure is a tad high. I just don't get it.

Comment from: miss librarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 75 years old and have been diagnosed with congenital heart disease. My "fainting" is associated with falling while walking around. The period of lack of consciousness is very short. Upon regaining consciousness I feel very disoriented and confused. So far the only damage I have done is bumps and soreness.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've been experiencing headaches for a few weeks. I just figured it was sinus headaches but then I started getting dizzy spells. Last night I was standing and experienced a cold tingling sensation that went from my legs up through my head and face and the next thing I knew, my husband was standing over me yelling my name. I have an appointment with my doctor in a few days but I'm scared of what I will find out. I still don't feel right and have a headache.

Comment from: Etalee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

Age 86. The fainting spell usually occurs while in a sitting position. My head droops, and I lose consciousness for maybe 2 minutes. Symptoms for stroke or heart problems are negative. Have been to ER 3 times in past year; all test results are good, no problems. One time the vision was blurred for a time, then returned. Kept for observation over night, then I was sent home. After the seizure no coughing was present. As caregiver, I feel there is an electrical short and the circuit breaker clicking off, then coming back on.

Comment from: Sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I got up during the night, with a mild cramp in my leg to walk it off. I passed out without any warning or dizziness and woke up on the floor about 20 minutes later with a cut on my head. I was also shaking. We called 911, and I went to the ER and was admitted for 2 days. The heart, carotid arteries and brain scan tests were normal. Blood pressure is normal. Potassium was normal. I feel better but have to get out of bed very carefully by not turning my body.

Comment from: G-Man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Shortly after waking this morning I had a severe coughing fit--a remnant of a cold. Exhaling continually for a number of seconds, I suddenly lost my balance--as if sitting down in an adjustable chair that's been lowered more than expected. I fell into a wall behind me and ended up sitting down hard on the floor. I think I was disoriented only for the time it took to fall. I got up and went to sit on a bed for a minute. I was relatively okay after that. ("Relatively" in that I wasn't refreshed by my night's sleep.)

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 28

My son, who is 16 years old and in good health, fainted. He didn't hit the ground hard and wasn't out but a couple of seconds. He doesn't remember what happened. We took his blood sugar level after eating and it was 168. We took it this morning before he ate and it was 78. He has chronic sinus problems, and takes medication for it. He is very active, but has said that he has been dizzy several times when standing up.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was on the way home from work, sitting on a train comfortably reading a book. Suddenly I felt extremely hot and my vision was getting progressively more and more blurry. I had a strange salty taste in my mouth, and felt as though I was going to be sick. I looked across the aisle and saw a girl on her mobile. I tried to get her attention but my vision had gone and I could feel pins and needles type sensation on my legs going up towards my lower back. Then suddenly I couldn’t keep my eyes open and I felt my head flop backwards. I must have been out of it for about a minute or so. When I woke, the girl was helping me out of my coat and had called for help. I was taken to A&E (accident and emergency), and was discharged after giving a blood sample. The doctor is querying a seizure of some type. My bloods came back fine.

Comment from: cane22, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have experienced fainting four times already. I’ve got double vision and a cool sweat with a headache. I really don’t know what it is. I just started experiencing this for no reason. I’ve even experienced this in a crowded place while I was simply sitting still. I wish I knew what it was. I know I need to see a doctor. If you are experiencing any similar symptoms, hurry to a doctor.

Comment from: helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I received an injection to my eye from my doctor. I felt no pain from this. After about 10 minutes, my eye bled a little and I started to feel weak and passed out. I have fainted many times in my life usually from the sight of blood although I try to fight it.

Comment from: Helenna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 12

While sleeping, and changing positions, I will experience vertigo. It soon passes, but happens quite frequently. Once, having to get up, during the night, dizziness was quite extreme. I took one step, and immediately blacked out, and collapsed on floor. This was not long in duration and I soon became conscious, however the condition exists. After sitting up, I must wait for the dizziness (vertigo)to pass before taking a step, for fear of collapsing again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: January 19

I've had two episodes of fainting. Once in the summer, and once last night around 2:30AM. It happens once I get out of bed, either walking or standing. Last night I was taking my dogs outside, my ears had the wave sounds and I had to lie on the grass to keep from falling. I managed to get into the house and then I just lay on the floor. I had been packing up stuff to move, up and down stairs, and my legs had bad cramps so I had put heat on my legs before all this happened. The time before I had sonograms on the carotid veins and my heart, nothing was found.

Comment from: rchambo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

The last thing I remember I was sitting at my computer playing a card game. I started to have a strange dream, almost like I was high on drugs (pleasant and without any pain). My wife came in the room and found me out cold with my head on the computer key board. As soon as she woke me I felt fine.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW