Must Read Articles:
Understanding Allergy and Hay Fever MedicationsThere are many types of medications available to combat the symptoms of allergies and hay fever. The types of medications include antihistamines (Claritin, Zyrtec), decongestants (Sudafed), anticholinergic nasal sprays (Atrovent), corticosteroid nasal sprays (Flonase, Nasonex), antiallergy eyedrops (Patanol), leukotriene inhibitors (Singulair), and mast cell inhibitors (Nasalcrom).
Mild HeadacheWhat causes headaches? Even when mild, headaches can be a cause for concern. Learn about potential causes, types, home remedies, and treatment.
Flu in AdultsFlu (influenza) is an acute infection of the nose and throat airways. This infection may spread to the lungs. Flu is the most frequent cause of acute respiratory infection in people of all ages. Symptoms of the flu include fever, severe aches and pains, headache, dry cough, sore throat, and at times vomiting and nausea. Treatment for the flu includes home remedies such as OTC pain relievers, rest, and hydration. Medical treatment for the flu includes antiviral medications.
Sore ThroatSore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected, such as: the pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the cause, infection, viral, or fungal.
Strep ThroatStrep throat is a disease caused by infection with streptococcal bacteria. Strep throat is contagious. Strep throat symptoms include fever, pain, redness, and swelling of the throat and tonsils, swollen lymph nodes, white or yellow patches on the back of the throat. Treatment for strep throat includes home remedies to sooth symptoms such as throat lozenges, OTC medications, herbal teas to sooth the throat, and hydration. Medical treatment for strep throat includes antibiotics to prevent complications.
Vomiting and NauseaVomiting and nausea are common complaints that accompany many conditions and diseases. A few common causes of vomiting and nausea include food poisoning, viruses, vertigo, head injuries, gallbladder disease, appendicitis, migraine, brain tumors, and infections. Treatment of vomiting and nausea depend on the cause of the symptoms.
Expert Views and News
- NYC Doctor Diagnosed With Ebola
- Childhood Arthritis: Aggressive Treatment Better?
- West Nile Up 35%, but CDC Says Peak Has Passed
- New Vaccine Offers Some Protection Against Dengue
- Third Death in Yosemite Hantavirus Outbreak
- Plague FAQ
- Beyond Statistics: 2 Faces of West Nile Virus
- New Tick-Borne Disease: 'Heartland Virus'
- West Nile Virus Cases Continue to Climb
- Hantavirus FAQ
- West Nile Virus: Who's at Risk?
- West Nile Outbreak on Track to be Worst Ever
- Deaths in Salmonella Outbreak Traced to Cantaloupe
- Combo Vaccine May Raise Babies' Risk for Fever-Caused Seizures
- Germ-Infected Mosquitoes Can't Spread Dengue
- FDA OKs Test for Dengue Fever
- Flu: Most People With It Don't Stay Home
Fever (in Adults) Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes:
Fever (in Adults) Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and a fever reducer...learn more »
Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and a fever reducer. There are many brands and forms of acetaminophen available. Not all brands are listed on this leaflet...learn more »