Strep throat is a disease caused by infection with streptococcal bacteria. Strep throat is contagious. Strep throat symptoms include fever, pain, redness, and swelling of the throat and tonsils, swollen lymph nodes, white or yellow patches on the back of the throat. Treatment for strep throat includes home remedies to sooth symptoms such as throat lozenges, OTC medications, herbal teas to sooth the throat, and hydration. Medical treatment for strep throat includes antibiotics to prevent complications.
Expert Views and News
- NYC Doctor Diagnosed With Ebola
- Childhood Arthritis: Aggressive Treatment Better?
- West Nile Up 35%, but CDC Says Peak Has Passed
- New Vaccine Offers Some Protection Against Dengue
- Third Death in Yosemite Hantavirus Outbreak
- Plague FAQ
- Beyond Statistics: 2 Faces of West Nile Virus
- New Tick-Borne Disease: 'Heartland Virus'
- West Nile Virus Cases Continue to Climb
- Hantavirus FAQ
- West Nile Virus: Who's at Risk?
- West Nile Outbreak on Track to be Worst Ever
- Deaths in Salmonella Outbreak Traced to Cantaloupe
- Combo Vaccine May Raise Babies' Risk for Fever-Caused Seizures
- Germ-Infected Mosquitoes Can't Spread Dengue
- FDA OKs Test for Dengue Fever
- Flu: Most People With It Don't Stay Home
Fever (in Adults) Topic Guide - Visuals
Fever (in Adults) Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and a fever reducer...learn more »
Aspirin is in a group of drugs called salicylates. It works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation. Aspirin also reduces fever....learn more »
There are many brands and forms of acetaminophen available. Not all brands are listed on this leaflet...learn more »
Naproxen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Naproxen works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body...learn more »