Most spiders are absolutely harmless to humans. In fact, of the 20,000 different species of spiders that inhabit the Americas, only 60 are capable of biting humans. Within that small group, only four are known to be dangerous to humans: the brown recluse, the black widow, the hobo or aggressive house spider, and the yellow sac spider. Within this select group, only the brown recluse and the black widow spider have ever been associated with significant disease and very rare reports of death.
See the complete A-Z list of all the First Aid & Emergencies related information or browse the current list of select resources.
First Aid & Emergencies Related Resources
First Aid & Emergencies Articles
- Achilles Tendon Rupture
- How Long Does It Take to Die from Hypothermia?
- How Do You Treat Frostbite on Your Hands?
- What Is the Difference Between Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide Poisoning?
- Broken Foot
- How Long Does a Shoulder Subluxation Take to Heal?
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Poisoning
- Can ICU Psychosis Cause Death?
- Should You Do CPR or AED First?
- How Can You Tell If You Have Turf Toe?
- Frostbite vs. Hypothermia Differences in Symptoms and Stages
- How Do I Know If My Knee Pain Is Serious?
- Muscle Cramps (Muscle Spasms)
- What Causes Hyperthermia?
- What Are Signs of Heat Stroke?
First Aid & Emergencies Medications
First Aid & Emergencies Images and Slideshows
- Muscle Cramps (Charley Horse) and Muscle Spasm Remedies
- Drugs and Medications: Health Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
- Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
- Spider Bites: Black Widow vs. Brown Recluse First Aid
- Home Health: Common Household Hazards
- First Aid Quiz: Care for Wounds, Scrapes, Cuts, and Burns
- First Aid: Wound Care for Cuts and Scrapes
- First Aid: Bandaging Injuries and Wounds From Head to Toe
- Common Causes of Foot Pain
- Broken Bones: Types, Symptoms, and Treatment
- First Aid & Emergencies: When to Call 911
- Picture of Hammertoes
- Picture of Compartment Syndrome
- Picture of Fungal Nail Infection
- Picture of Finger Anatomy
First Aid & Emergencies Quizzes
First Aid & Emergencies News
- Your Rights in the Emergency Room
- What Are Home Remedies to Treat a Sprained Ankle?
- FDA Panel Backs Approval of Lofexidine for Opioid Withdrawal
- Hypothermia and Older Adults
- Blizzard 2013: Preparation and Getting Through It
- Hypothermia Risk in Sandy's Aftermath
- Paralyzed Man's Hand Movement Partially Restored
- Most Drug-Related Hospitalizations Due to Handful of Drugs
- Drug Shortages Continue to Rise
- New Dosing Labels for Extra Strength Tylenol
- Trauma Patients Fare Poorly After Hospital Discharge
- Do You Know When NOT to Call 911?
- Head Injury Risks Linger
- Bunions, High-Arched Feet Often Inherited
- New CPR Guidelines: Chest Compressions First